Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 02:51 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Has anybody experienced a steering-wheel annoyance as described in this new article?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/05...k-of-a-hybrid/
Interesting article. I haven't experienced the problem with the steering column as mine doesn't retract at all. I thought I had "ticked" the easy entry box in the menu and I expected the seat to move back and the steering wheel to move up, but for whatever reason mine don't move at all. The other problem he wrote about:

"The other quibble was with the Panamera's Apple CarPlay integration. For reasons best known to itself, when listening to podcasts the infotainment system kept switching over to SiriusXM without me asking, a practice that became annoying enough that I gave up on using CarPlay."

I have experienced this problem. I get into Apple Car Play and open the Amazon Music app and while I'm listening to something there it does move back to the Sirius XM station I was previously listening to and that I don't like at all. Not sure how to fix that problem??? If anyone knows the solution, I'd appreciate hearing it.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:45 AM
mutiny22183
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
I am not an electrical engineer. I have a 240V outlet in my garage (U.S.) and I also have the 7.2 Kw charger option. Your math is pretty good assuming your setup is similar to mine. My car consistently takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes to do a full charge when fully discharged. Also, as you mention, my car also consistently shows 27 or 28 miles range after a full charge but as soon as I leave the house and drive a short distance it does in fact drop a mile or two fairly quickly. On the 27 mile initial charge I'm actually getting about 23 miles before the ICE kicks on. I believe that is because I do drive somewhat aggressively and I get onto the freeway and drive 70 mph or higher for about 10 or more miles usually soon after leaving the house. I've done about 1000 miles thus far with half of that on the interstate coming up from LA at speeds between 75-90 mph. Still haven't exceeded 4000 rpm or even come close for that matter but I'm getting tired of waiting to really jump on this car!!
Damn, I am a terrible owner then...at less than 900 miles, I’ve already launch controlled the car more than 10 times.....it’s mostly Chicago city traffic driving for me, so it will take me at least 6+ months to put 2k miles on ICE! Can’t wait that long!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:20 AM
gmblack3
Instructor

I'm a huge Tesla fanboy, Wife has an early VIN MX90D that we road trip with often (2 yrs and 47k miles) and I'll be getting a P3D if Elon comes out with the right combo of performance and price today.

I recently worked on this stunning Panamera e-hybrid in Amethyst. Got to drive it for 60 miles and very impressed with the very SOLID feel. It also has the check engine light, so the client asked me not to drive it "fast." (I don't do that anyway) My wife is a huge fan of purple, so if Tesla offer a new MX in this stunning color, we'd be trading ours in. The only issue I see with the e-hybrid is you have to put gas in it. We have been all EV since Sept of 2014.

IMO the e-mission should be an amazing car!

Old 05-18-2018, 07:56 PM
ahha128821
6th Gear

Hi, can anyone help/give advice on transferring navigation destinations from the iPhone Connect app to the PCM. My dealer says it is possible but despite over an hour last weekend trying to figure it out he couldn’t get it working. Anyone had similar problems?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 PM
hueydumps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed a 220v outlet in my garage and it cut my charge time down from 12 hours to 3 hours, and I don’t have the high capacity charger that Porsche sells. I highly recommend adding the 220v outlet.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:19 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I just had a quick realization...I love the Panamera look (I’ve had two), but the new Cayenne hybrid seems a little more appealing in terms of the finance side over a Panamera Hybrid. It starts at 80k, and has a 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds. And it has the same interior from the Panamera, and they even got rid of the useless electronic air vents.

So that being said, what are the factual benefits to getting the Panamera Hybrid besides the visual factor for some? I feel like Porsche should differentiate them a bit more; they literally dumped all the goodies into a 20k cheaper Cayenne. (The Cayenne hybrid still looks really good though, at least in my opinion.)
Old 05-18-2018, 10:22 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I’m basically asking that someone make me feel better about my decision to spend 135k on a Panamera vs 105k on a Cayenne, both basically have the same acceleration, and if you spec Rear Wheel Steering, PDCC, and Air Suspension on the Cayenne, it would handle really well in the corners.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:39 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

My car arrived and I got to see it today for the first time.
I drove about 70 miles, in which the range started at a stated 21 miles (about 3/4 full from dealership charge), in which I got about 16 miles of actual all-electric range before it went to zero in about 90% expressway driving (that at 70-75 mph mostly). The ICE then kicked in and I watched it for a few miles go between gas-only and gas+electric, before I changed to Sport and Sport Plus the last 20 miles or so. I had 9 miles of range left when I stopped, so it had charged that much from Sport/Plus driving the last 20 minutes or so. I was impressed how it accelerated quickly to 70 mph in electric-only -- so different from the Panamera S E-Hybrid and Cayanne S E-Hybrid.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:34 AM
KW411
Advanced

Smoker package - I didn't order it. but in my front, it has a cigarette lighter and ashtray, nothing at the back though. Does it default for all the car or they make a mistake??
Old 05-19-2018, 01:41 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by KW411
Smoker package - I didn't order it. but in my front, it has a cigarette lighter and ashtray, nothing at the back though. Does it default for all the car or they make a mistake??
Same thing happened to me... I'm upset about it because it takes up room in the compartment that I'd use for my phone, and it's something I'll never use.
I asked the sales manager today to see if it can be removed.

I have seen new-gen Panameras without the lighter in front -- an open compartment that is actually quite useful when empty of the lighter. I pointed that out to the sales manager.

Last edited by cometguy; 05-19-2018 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:51 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hueydumps
I just installed a 220v outlet in my garage and it cut my charge time down from 12 hours to 3 hours, and I don’t have the high capacity charger that Porsche sells. I highly recommend adding the 220v outlet.
theory says that is impossible
You have a 3,6kw charger in your car. If you say you have a efficiency loss while charging of about 20%, you will need for a 14 kWh battery (that we have in our cars) approximately 4,6 hours (14kWh / 3kW). Anything below that means that your battery is not being charged to 100% or you have indeed a 7,2kw charger.
The charger in the car is the bottleneck regardless of what electrical line you install.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:00 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hueydumps
Is there now a different charger from the multi-voltage 3kW/7.2kW universal charger that we get in Europe, with a higher charge rate? If you can charge in 3 hours, you must be charging at 7.2 kW from a 220V/32 amp socket (which shows as 100% charge rate on the charger). I would assume if there is a higher rate charger it must be 440V 3 phase, as 32A is the highest current 220V socket available, as far as I can find. I think I am correct that a 32A three phase 440V socket is capable of providing 21kW.

Wilson
Old 05-19-2018, 05:10 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ssiminou
I just had a quick realization...I love the Panamera look (I’ve had two), but the new Cayenne hybrid seems a little more appealing in terms of the finance side over a Panamera Hybrid. It starts at 80k, and has a 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds. And it has the same interior from the Panamera, and they even got rid of the useless electronic air vents.

So that being said, what are the factual benefits to getting the Panamera Hybrid besides the visual factor for some? I feel like Porsche should differentiate them a bit more; they literally dumped all the goodies into a 20k cheaper Cayenne. (The Cayenne hybrid still looks really good though, at least in my opinion.)
I noticed the same last week. Approximately 20k€ cheaper in my part of the world. However
1) in Austria, the e-hybrid is equipped with the air suspension at no extra charge. With the Cayenne it is an option you need to fork out money for. Same applies for the chrono packet but this could be a bug on porsche online car builder
2) the Cayenne is quited with 0-62ish (100km/h) with 5 seconds, the panamera with 4,6s. Not sure where you got your numbers from.
3) you are indeed comparing two different classes of cars. It is like comparing the x5 from bmw with a 7 series.
4) after having owned a x6, I am personally done with the suv world. The way the physics work on a suv don't work for me. I know the panamera is not a lightweight but with the right goodies (rear wheel steering, 21 wheels) the car seemed very agile around the corners in city driving. Soemthing the Cayenne won't be, I assume

I do have to admit that the one thing I am jealous about on the new Cayenne e-hybrid is that the fact that you can order with a hitch. Nevertheless the porsche panamera st is one kind of a car which makes it special so, if porsche then ST it is
Old 05-19-2018, 01:33 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting review and video ... Porsche’s all-electric Mission E is a ‘game change’, says pro-driver Mark Webber after test drive

There are not many people who had the chance to drive the Mission E, Porsche’s first all-electric vehicle, but pro-driver Mark Webber is one of them and he gave his impressions after a day at the track with one of the latest prototypes.Now Webber works for Porsche so he is not exactly an unbiased party, but I still think his comments, especially his comparisons with other Porsche vehicles, were interesting.

Here’s what he had to say after a Mission E test drive at Porsche’s test track in Weissach:“I’ve got many Porsche moments that will stay with me forever – winning the WEC in the 919 Hybrid would be one – and I think I’ve just experienced another: driving the Mission E for the first time.It’s a game changer, this car. Quite literally, it is stealth in motion.

I’m a bit of an old-school kind of guy and I love nothing more than to drive so I don’t mind admitting I had some reservations. I thought that the Mission E could feel a little heavy but the driving experience is seriously dynamic: the four-wheel steering, the performance and the braking ability were a really amazing experience.

Porsche says that they are aiming for the vehicle to have “over 310 miles of range” (500 km) on a single charge, but they announced that back when it was based on the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC), which is much more forgiving than the EPA rating and doesn’t really reflect real-world range. It’s should still have a more than decent range of more than 250 miles.

Though the automaker is also rumored to be aiming to offer different range options with different battery packs, it’s not clear if 250 miles is the base or top option – hopefully, it’s the minimum. The company has previously been talking about a 0 to 60 mph acceleration in 3.5 seconds and earlier this year, a Porsche executive said that the Mission E will be able to go long distances at high-speed, like traveling on the German autobahn, or to complete a few laps on the race track. The Mission E is expected to hit production next year.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:14 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Presumably a development mule with fake exhausts.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread