Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Righty
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of battery range are you seeing in your car?
Old 03-24-2018, 09:09 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Good news from nayakvs in Dallas! Actual pictures give me some confidence that the EPA wait is really over and the logjam is breaking up. Interesting that the EPA web site still does not list the Panamera hybrids, nor does the Porsche North America site show the 4 E-Hybrid as available yet.

Last edited by louver; 03-24-2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2018, 12:34 PM
end9472
AutoX

Talking

Received a call from my sales rep this morning who said Porsche is releasing the 4 E-hybrids to the dealers. Told me my wife's car is on the truck (from Houston) and should be at the dealership in a few days (Chicago, IL area). After 8 months of waiting look like this is finally happening!!
Old 03-24-2018, 02:19 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

My car arrived a the dealer Thursday, and I was able to take it for an extended drive yesterday. I drove it first in e-mode, including 80 mph on the highway. The performance was even better than I expected. I expect I will use the electric engine the majority of the time. I also drove it in Sport Plus, Sport and Hybrid mode. The power and speed is impressive. I closed the sale and will pick it up next week after they finish the ceramic window tint and the full bra I am having applied. I will post pics.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:02 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by end9472
Received a call from my sales rep this morning who said Porsche is releasing the 4 E-hybrids to the dealers. Told me my wife's car is on the truck (from Houston) and should be at the dealership in a few days (Chicago, IL area). After 8 months of waiting look like this is finally happening!!
I think it's the federal government releasing the cars to the dealers, not Porsche...
Old 03-24-2018, 03:03 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sriklin
My car arrived a the dealer Thursday, and I was able to take it for an extended drive yesterday. I drove it first in e-mode, including 80 mph on the highway. The performance was even better than I expected. I expect I will use the electric engine the majority of the time. I also drove it in Sport Plus, Sport and Hybrid mode. The power and speed is impressive. I closed the sale and will pick it up next week after they finish the ceramic window tint and the full bra I am having applied. I will post pics.
Where are you located, and which specific E-Hybrid version did you get?
Old 03-24-2018, 07:27 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I think it's the federal government releasing the cars to the dealers, not Porsche...
The EPA approval was received a while back. CARB EO was submitted for management approval on Tuesday, 3/6. Don't know why CARB management hasn't yet approved, my contact told me it would only take a few days. Hopefully any day now. I'm wondering if the holdup is possibly due to Porsche trying to get CARB to approve the E-Hybrid for the special sticker in California for single occupancy car pool lane access?? Can't imagine any other reason for taking so long.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:01 PM
Big Ben
Intermediate

Hello Everybody,

I have been reading this forum on and off for about a year now. I placed a deposit for a Pan e-Hybrid last March and it has been sitting at the port since October. I share everybody's concern about the battery just sitting there. This would be my first Porsche. I almost had a chance to earn their business in Germany, but my company lost out at the last minute. However, I decided to keep my order in place and I am always wondering if I should have placed the order on a Turbo S e-Hybrid instead. I have driven Lexus, then AMG, then then to 1 Jaguar XJ 510HP and now have been driving Land Rovers/Range Rovers the past 7 years due to family style. My configuration turned out to be 134K and I still didn't get everything I wanted. The Turbo S would have been about 200K when configured, but it would have been the perfect config. with a 0-60 in the lower 3 seconds too. I am really hoping that the 0-60 in 4.4 is going to be special enough or should I have gone for the Turbo S. Did anybody else have that in difficulties in their decision making?

I was able to go around some hot laps in the e-Hybrid at the Panamera Party in Los Angeles at night and the handling was frightening good with 4 people in the car. I have seen only 1 video online of a 0-60 in the e-Hybrid and it does look wicked fast. The other online video of the Turbo s E-Hybrid actually looked about the same as it seemed to have more trouble getting traction. Maybe the ..7 to 1 second difference does make that much of a difference on the normal streets, but I have always driven v8. I have a v6 Discovery right now and it just doesn't come close to the v8 of my older LR4 and my new 510hp Range Rover. I drove the 4S with just 1 other person in the car and it felt slow. I have driven the Turbo once and that felt slow under 3200 rpm. After that, life is a blur as the turbo boost of the car is absolutely insane.

I look forward to seeing if anybody else has an order for a Turbo S e-hybrid.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:08 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by Big Ben
Hello Everybody,

I have been reading this forum on and off for about a year now. I placed a deposit for a Pan e-Hybrid last March and it has been sitting at the port since October. I share everybody's concern about the battery just sitting there. This would be my first Porsche. I almost had a chance to earn their business in Germany, but my company lost out at the last minute. However, I decided to keep my order in place and I am always wondering if I should have placed the order on a Turbo S e-Hybrid instead. I have driven Lexus, then AMG, then then to 1 Jaguar XJ 510HP and now have been driving Land Rovers/Range Rovers the past 7 years due to family style. My configuration turned out to be 134K and I still didn't get everything I wanted. The Turbo S would have been about 200K when configured, but it would have been the perfect config. with a 0-60 in the lower 3 seconds too. I am really hoping that the 0-60 in 4.4 is going to be special enough or should I have gone for the Turbo S. Did anybody else have that in difficulties in their decision making?

I was able to go around some hot laps in the e-Hybrid at the Panamera Party in Los Angeles at night and the handling was frightening good with 4 people in the car. I have seen only 1 video online of a 0-60 in the e-Hybrid and it does look wicked fast. The other online video of the Turbo s E-Hybrid actually looked about the same as it seemed to have more trouble getting traction. Maybe the ..7 to 1 second difference does make that much of a difference on the normal streets, but I have always driven v8. I have a v6 Discovery right now and it just doesn't come close to the v8 of my older LR4 and my new 510hp Range Rover. I drove the 4S with just 1 other person in the car and it felt slow. I have driven the Turbo once and that felt slow under 3200 rpm. After that, life is a blur as the turbo boost of the car is absolutely insane.

I look forward to seeing if anybody else has an order for a Turbo S e-hybrid.
You have an advantage over me as I have never actually driven the E-Hybrid. That said, when I put my deposit down a year ago, I was seriously considering the 4S. However when I got the chance to actually drive it I was disappointed because there was (for me) a noticeable turbo lag. It was only a split second lag but enough to put me off on that model. Everything I've read or seen on videos or gleaned from other's comments on this forum indicates there won't be any turbo lag with the 4E. Also, as AJ reported based on his experience with the cars it will run even with the Turbo (not the Turbo S) up to about 40 mph. The 4.4 second 0-60 is the "official" Porsche claim and Porsche is known for being overly conservative as indicated by Car and Driver and Road and Track on numerous other Porsche models. I won't be surprised if the E-Hybrid comes in around 4.0 seconds which is plenty fast enough for me. I just couldn't justify the extra $70k for the Turbo S. If I had any intention of tracking the car, maybe, but for street driving I can't imagine any need for the Turbo S. The 4E will go 170 mph on the freeway (which I'll never do) and other than the horsepower I see no advantage to the Turbo S. Just my thoughts. Hopefully I will be able to give first hand experience sometime in the next few weeks.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:21 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I downloaded a 0-60 app on the phone, when I find some time over the next week or two and a day warm enough I will do some country lane launches. I think we would all be very happy indeed if it showed a 3.999999 60.

Am I the only one that thinks $70k is a huge amount of money?! You will be more than happy and I guarantee that after 3 years there will not be a $70k difference in value (suspect Turbo will drop in value quite significantly to start with).
Old 03-26-2018, 02:57 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
The EPA approval was received a while back. CARB EO was submitted for management approval on Tuesday, 3/6. Don't know why CARB management hasn't yet approved, my contact told me it would only take a few days. Hopefully any day now. I'm wondering if the holdup is possibly due to Porsche trying to get CARB to approve the E-Hybrid for the special sticker in California for single occupancy car pool lane access?? Can't imagine any other reason for taking so long.
So I just heard back from my contact at CARB. It turns out they got several Public Records Act requests and that caused the EO to be delayed and it wasn't submitted on 3/6 as I was previously led to believe. Their entire team was swamped with these requests (unrelated to Porsche) and thus nothing much got done. The EO has now been submitted and we are now just waiting on management approval. He did indicate they are still digging their way out from the multiple records request so it may take a little longer than usual for management to sign off. Hopefully sometime this week.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:58 AM
Big Ben
Intermediate

SaratogaLefty,

Thank you for your reply and feedback. I didn't get to drive the E-Hybrid, but I was just a passenger. Off the line, it was pretty quick with 4 passenger, but it is really hard to tell since they really don't give you any warning before they take off. I did sense a slight slow down in speed as v6 torque took over the job of the forward thrust. In real world, I am hoping you are right that a 0-40 or 0-50 is just a quick as one might have hope. I took thought the 4S was a disappointment due to the turbo lag. I told the salesperson that my hefty Range Rover felt fast with the supercharged 510 hp even though I knew it wasn't. Looking forward to hearing about other feedback from other drivers soon. My dealer just emailed me by accident thinking they gave me a loaner car. I wish. Lucky for that customer I guess.

Yes, the price tag of 80K difference was just too much to try the Turbo S e-hybrid. For the additional 80K, I can get a great lease on another Range Rover v8 or even buy a v6 Range Rover or even a Cayenne to supplement the Panamera.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:55 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I was lent a Macan S (diesel) yesterday, when my dealer was trying to sort out the PCM/phone/apps/Connect hiccoughs/communication problems on my 4 E-Hybrid. The very noticeable turbo lag on the Macan made me realise how lag-free the 4 E-Hybrid is. The Macan was particularly sluggish in step off from a dead stop. Of course it has to initialise the somewhat rattly start up of the engine, rather than the very smooth start up of the ICE on the Hybrid. I also have never liked SUV's. I find that as they have increased the roll stiffness, to make them handle more like cars, that has induced an unpleasant rocking/wiggling motion, as you drive down one of the UK's pot-holed cart tracks, that we laughingly call main roads. Again the Panamera feels very planted in comparison.

Wilson
Old 03-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Big Ben
Intermediate

Wilson,

Thanks for your feedback. Interesting, feedback since a diesel is suppose to have more down low torque. My wife had a Mercedes GL 350 Diesel for 5 years. The throttle off the line was quick but ran out of steam as it approached the redline. We noticed getting on the freeway a bit of a challenge, but at the red lights, it was not a problem.
Thank you again for your feedback and looking forward to driving one home.... hopefully by the end of April.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:08 PM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The Panamera 4 E-Hybrid has just showed up on the US EPA website. I've been checking it constantly since we heard that EPA had certified the car, a couple of weeks ago, growing more wary that there could be some other snag. But given that a few people have actually laid their hands on their cars and taken pictures, and now this, it must be true. Hoorah! Those who have been waiting for months must be really skeptical--can't even imagine. There was still no mention of the Turbo Hybrid.

It seems that we've had posts on this thread from three or four people who've actually had cars shipped from the port, and all involved the port in Texas (Galveston?). There was supposedly a car to be shipped from Halifax in Canada. Did this happen? Has anyone heard of cars shipped on from any other ports? Any final deliveries? Pictures?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread