Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 05:09 PM
tp81
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is due late April. I had the pleasure today of being shown the capabilities of the Panamera by non other than Gordon Robertson, Chief Instructor at the Porsche Experience and star of many of the Porsche experience videos

The demonstration and driving instruction was around a deserted airfield in Fife, Scotland. The car today was a 4S. The sureness, competency and sheer technical capabilities of this car are astounding. Driving involved several launch control starts, 110mph fully emergency stops with hands on and off the wheel, 70mph Elk test, fast slalom, simulated full lock acceleration from a junction and then finally hot laps with traction control on and off. The airfield was wet and some grass on patches, throughout all of this the car was completely unfazed and composed. I loved every minute of it. Cant wait until mine arrives and I say goodbye to my much loved M5. The Panamera is a whole different type of car.

Some pictures of the beautiful scenery near the airfield. Excuse the iphone pic of the car

Old 02-10-2018, 10:09 PM
David Patel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking Delivery v soon

Hi all
thought I’d share what I’m picking up in three weeks time. So I got rid of the Panamera 4s Deisel which was an amazing car with a brilliant spec and changed.
i had ordered the same spec by a 4e hybrid but was let down on the delivery not being before 31st March, so I took what I think is a brilliant deal on a ready to go Jet Black one.
it comes with a massive spec, everything I wanted and more but also comes with two things I didnt really want (BURMESTER AND PORSCHE CERAMIC BRAKES in yellow).
Here’s the build spec and some photosI’m picking it up in early March so I get the 18 plate but the dealer wants me to take it now —- itching to get my hands on it though.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Jetblackspec.pdf (520.7 KB, 160 views)
Old 02-10-2018, 10:12 PM
David Patel
Intermediate

Old 02-11-2018, 01:54 AM
P9UYS
3rd Gear

Default E Power

Last edited by P9UYS; 02-11-2018 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 02-11-2018, 01:58 AM
P9UYS
3rd Gear

Default E Power

I took delivery of my Panamera 4 E Hybrid one month ago, from Dick Lovetts in Bristol, it was 6 months on order, didn’t go to silly on the spec, trying to keep it under £100K only just failed.

I bought the car to use daily for my commute to the office, which is 4.6 miles each way across a small city ( Gloucester ). So I charge the car at home using a wall mounted 7.2 KW Charger and the car has the upgraded 7.5KW on board charging. It takes approximately 2 hours to charge from flat to full.

Here is my issue with what is a great car, when fully charged the car shows 18 miles of EPower, I drive gingerly to the office 4.6 miles, the trip shows an average of 22mph as it is generally in traffic.The EPower meter now shows I have 9 Miles in which to make my journey home. As I reach home in the evening after my similar return journey of 4.6 miles and a slightly higher mph of 26 traffics a bit easier. The Epower is depleted at the top of the road and the petrol engine kicks in as I wait for the gates open.

So I am in fact getting just under 10 miles a day EPower on a full battery. I do have the heater on, the radio on and the phone connected, not excessive use of electric and only what would be expected one would assume.
The car has been back into the dealer, who have checked it through and said yes it’s all fine and behaving as expected. When I explained my expectations were somewhere around 30 miles of E power (50KM) as per the sales literature, I was told the updated expectation figure was now 15-30 miles since I ordered the car.
I don’t want to start an Electric Gate scandal, but before I take this up with Porsche directly would anyone share there EPower experiences with me, is it just my car ??
Paul
P9uys@me.com

Last edited by P9UYS; 02-11-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:29 AM
David Patel
Intermediate

Hi Paul
Your method of use it exactly what i intend to do so am eagerly interested in the answer.
I actually will be doing a straight 25 miles each way to the office and thought on days i do use the car, i will charge over night at home and then during the day at the office. I've read and seen so many interviews/road tests and all point to this car having around near 20miles and most also clearly indicate being able to drive on electric only at speeds of 60/70mph which i will need to do as i have some 16 miles of motor way and dual carriage way on this journey.

unfortunately, my car doesn't have the inbuilt 7.2kw charger.

Others have posted answers but in all everyone has said dont expect it to be brilliant and from what i have understood it is going to be much better at city driving than long distance.

Keep us posted.
David.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:48 AM
P9UYS
3rd Gear

Hi David : When Dick Lovetts ( the supplying dealer) had my car last week, they informed me that thier EHybrid technician had managed to achieve 22 miles on electric power in my car, his test route was very similar to your proposed journey, with some town driving, dual carriageway and a short 1 junction Motorway stint. I would however suspect he was very driving miss daisy to prove the point 20 + can be achieved and when I got back into the car everything was off ..lol. Sadly not what you want to hear, but in my experience (albeit only 1 month now) 25 miles on 1 charge is not achievable.

However my advise, the car does charge itself quite quickly in “E Charge” mode, I would use this ( hit hybrid on the centre consol and select ECharge on the screen, petrol then kicks in at slightly higher rev’s then normal but not excessively) for your Motorway stint, it charges about a mile worth of electric for every 2 miles of petrol at motorway speeds and switch back to “Epower” when exiting the motorway. Not quite petrol free use, but the challenge will break up the journey and still achieve pretty high fuel consumption (60+).

Hope this helps ...
Old 02-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started a new thread related to the Panamera Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass option but thought I would post it on here as well as it relates to the E-Hybrid I just ordered. . At first, While specifying my 4 E-Hybrid Executive, I was interested in this option as I felt it would help significantly with fuel consumption by keeping the car cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Also, it would help with making an already quiet car even more quiet. I am getting the Burmester Sound System and this extra tranquility may benefit this grand sound.
My dilemma is that I have read several places that this glass will affect cellular reception and possibly the use of Toll Paying transmitters (EZ-Pass) and radar detectors. Can anyone with this option shed some perspective on how this glass affects them? I believe with all my reading that ajriches01 and Yoeris both have the thermally and noise isolating glass. Do you have any problems? I would appreciate feedback both good and bad with this option. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:18 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pana - I don't have the insulating glass - just the tints. I use toll roads in France with a transmitter without issue but...regular glass. It's a quiet car but depends on your roads on a daily basis. The London circular road (M25) is so bad it is deafening in places, but driving in France is floating on air. So in one case the glass would make a big difference probably, and in the other none at all.

David/P9 - There is a HUGE difference in distance depending on temperature and the nature of the route. In the summer on a dual carriage way/motorway, I was getting into London on E-Power - circa 30 miles. I'd charge the car twice a week at the train station (very steep hill home). In the winter, I am managing 3 legs of the train station route - so one steep, a morning's pre-heat (man I love this - no messing with the windscreen EVER AGAIN), a drive back and then home again. Total mileage...6 miles! Driving at the weekend on dual carriageway, I get the circa 20 miles again. It's a wonderful system but it's not without its flaws - for me I enjoy the pre-heat, the free charging at the station and the shunt in the back with launch control. I had a Cayenne e-Hybrid for a long weekend and this was really not good, the Panamera is 10x better. David - love the look, shame about the diesel but I can guarantee you will love the mixture of wafting on electric and the exhaust grumble in sports mode.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Alex. I misunderstood what I read earlier in the thread. From what I have learned from my other thread, I think I will stay with the Thermally and Noise Isolating Glass. It seems that overwhelmingly, all who have responded are NOT experiencing problems with cellular coverage or with the toll paying transmitters. Over the long term, I think it may pay for itself with savings from less cooling needed and I will really appreciate the quiet drive. I agree, some roads are much worse than others for noise and it will be nice to know I did all I could to minimize it. And, if I want the full effect of the sport exhaust option, I can always crack the window. And, thanks for all your great commentary on this thread. It helps to hear from people actually experiencing their E-Hybrid. On that note, I was given an allocation from my SA yesterday (ordered the car two weeks ago). Believe it or not, they quoted an October build date and a November delivery. That is over 10 months..... Then I was told they are doing all they can to improve that date which I anxiously await to hear.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:41 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My original timing was 10 months. Someone cancelled and was then 2 months if I went in same day to lock in the build. Just keep the dealer sweet!

I had a Turbo as a demo for a weekend with insulated glass. Insanely quiet and with the Burm, an amazing place to be. Only downside...you'll need to crack the window to hear the exhaust note!
Old 02-15-2018, 12:53 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting reading ... Porsche is working hard to sell its electric transformation to its motorhead fans

https://electrek.co/2018/02/14/porsc...otorhead-fans/
Despite the fact that Porsche still doesn’t have an all-electric vehicle on the market, the German automaker made it clear that they are all-in on the electrification of their lineup. Now, they are working hard to sell this electric transformation to their motorhead fans ahead of the release of their first all-electric car. Over the last few weeks, the company has been releasing a bunch of interviews with executives in charge of the programs related to electrification and statements about their accelerated effort to bring EVs to market.

Today, they also released a long essay about how electric powertrains offer several advantages over internal combustion engines – something you would have never thought could have come out of Porsche just a few years ago.

“Switch on and enjoy the silence – undoubtedly one of the attractions of electric powertrains. Manufacturers must do more, however, in particular those whose customers have become accustomed – after decades of combustion engine optimisation – to demanding the best. Their electric powertrains must guarantee the highest possible driving performance over long periods of time. Any manufacturer that masters this challenge will create a long-lasting buzz among customers – thanks to the strengths of the electric powertrain.

In principle, the electric powertrain has one huge advantage in terms of driving dynamics: Since its power can potentially be delivered immediately thanks to force-locking, the torque can be transferred to the wheels with only a short delay. This means that even small cars or compact vehicles can produce more powerful acceleration than their conventionally powered siblings.” You can read the full post on Porsche’s media website.

Last edited by FlatSix911; 02-16-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:08 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

FINALLY!!!!

Just heard from PCNA that the 2018 Panamera E-Hybrid has received EPA approval. Also heard from my contact at CARB that he expects full approval by next Tuesday. Car should be delivered to my Dealer in LA by the end of next week!! I'm really hoping this isn't another false hope but I think this time it is really going to happen.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

SaratogaLefty, Wow!! I am so excited for you and all the others who have been waiting for so long for this news. Your anxiety has been felt so deeply on this thread. All the best of luck that your car does arrive in good shape and you are happy with your delivery. Look forward to the pictures. I have been feeling some anxiety myself as I ordered my Panamera $ E-Hybrid on Jan 30 and my allocated build date is currently In October. My SA is working on getting that improved, no word yet. Pana TJ
Old 02-16-2018, 09:46 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
SaratogaLefty, Wow!! I am so excited for you and all the others who have been waiting for so long for this news. Your anxiety has been felt so deeply on this thread. All the best of luck that your car does arrive in good shape and you are happy with your delivery. Look forward to the pictures. I have been feeling some anxiety myself as I ordered my Panamera $ E-Hybrid on Jan 30 and my allocated build date is currently In October. My SA is working on getting that improved, no word yet. Pana TJ
It's been almost a year since I put down my deposit!! I'm hoping the car hasn't suffered too much from sitting at the port for almost six months. Hopefully everything will check out and all the firmware/software updates will be uploaded successfully. The next two weeks will be stressful but I really think this time it is real.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread