Panamera 2010-Current

971 Porsche Connect and Wifi hotspot

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 07:40 AM
djdonte
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 971 Porsche Connect and Wifi hotspot

Anyone try these? I am able to connect to my cars wifi with my phone as asked on the device manager screen in settings, and I have disabled the private relay option like the app asked, but no matter what I do the Porsche app says no wifi connection to the car when I go to the PCM section. The car came with sim card in it and I see 4GLTE in top of the screen so I'm guessing it was upgraded from the 3G module.

As for the wifi hotspot, I signed up for a trial with ATT, but cannot even find the option in the car for this. I tried connecting another phone to the car, but it wont let a second phone connect to the wifi network called out in device manager, so I am guessing thats just the network to set things up.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:04 AM
Chimuel
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by djdonte
Anyone try these? I am able to connect to my cars wifi with my phone as asked on the device manager screen in settings, and I have disabled the private relay option like the app asked, but no matter what I do the Porsche app says no wifi connection to the car when I go to the PCM section. The car came with sim card in it and I see 4GLTE in top of the screen so I'm guessing it was upgraded from the 3G module.

As for the wifi hotspot, I signed up for a trial with ATT, but cannot even find the option in the car for this. I tried connecting another phone to the car, but it wont let a second phone connect to the wifi network called out in device manager, so I am guessing thats just the network to set things up.
  • PCM has always been 4G.
  • It's the VTS (Vehicle Tracking System) that needed the 3G -> 4G update on the earlier 971.
  • Porsche Car Connect is the one for Remote, Safety, and Security services (VTS subscription managed by Vodafone here in the US)
  • Porsche Connect is the one for Nav and Infotainment (PCM, subscriptions managed by Porsche directly)
    • The PCM will require this subscription for what you are looking to accomplish in your first paragraph, as far as I know. (This is through the My Porsche app, Vehicle details, Functions, PCM Services --screenshot below)
    • I don't find this feature very useful and when I use wireless android auto or wireless carplay, you break the connection to the car anyway.
I used the trial for the AT&T data connection (built-in sim card in the PCM https://myvehicle.att.com/#/landing?...US&language=en) but I am able to get free data-only SIM cards through one of my cellphone service providers so I installed that SIM card if only for having the satellite images load in the built-in navigation.

If you or your passengers need wifi, you're better off using the hotspot from your phone than going through the PCM's hotspot, the throughput is slow going through the PCM.

There's a pairing code in the app that will need to be input to the PCM for the conection to form.

Last edited by Chimuel; 03-15-2024 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:32 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

UK PCM is only 3G at the moment and Porsche is looking at what they can do end of the year when 3G is turned off.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:03 AM
djdonte
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chimuel
  • PCM has always been 4G.
  • It's the VTS (Vehicle Tracking System) that needed the 3G -> 4G update on the earlier 971.
  • Porsche Car Connect is the one for Remote, Safety, and Security services (VTS subscription managed by Vodafone here in the US)
  • Porsche Connect is the one for Nav and Infotainment (PCM, subscriptions managed by Porsche directly)
    • The PCM will require this subscription for what you are looking to accomplish in your first paragraph, as far as I know. (This is through the My Porsche app, Vehicle details, Functions, PCM Services --screenshot below)
    • I don't find this feature very useful and when I use wireless android auto or wireless carplay, you break the connection to the car anyway.
I used the trial for the AT&T data connection (built-in sim card in the PCM https://myvehicle.att.com/#/landing?...US&language=en) but I am able to get free data-only SIM cards through one of my cellphone service providers so I installed that SIM card if only for having the satellite images load in the built-in navigation.

If you or your passengers need wifi, you're better off using the hotspot from your phone than going through the PCM's hotspot, the throughput is slow going through the PCM.

There's a pairing code in the app that will need to be input to the PCM for the conection to form.
The first screenshot you posted that says PCM services is as far as I've gotten but it says no wifi connection no matter what I do, even if I connect to the cars wifi. I did find the spot to enter a pairing code on my car but I cant get to your second screen shot.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:08 AM
Chimuel
Racer

Originally Posted by djdonte
The first screenshot you posted that says PCM services is as far as I've gotten but it says no wifi connection no matter what I do, even if I connect to the cars wifi. I did find the spot to enter a pairing code on my car but I cant get to your second screen shot.
Second screenshot is from the Vehicle Details, Overview tab, and it's all the way down under More vehicle details, below Total Mileage, Fill Level, Service Intervals, Tire Pressure Deviation,Trip Since Start sections of that tab.:

Old 03-14-2024, 11:11 AM
djdonte
Instructor

Thank you. I will try it again after work.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:17 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Car Connect through Porsche is the bit that will stop end of this year, not good for a car only a few years old :-(
Old 03-14-2024, 06:18 PM
chaos2984
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

If your car in the US hasn't had the upgraded VTS module for 4g It will not work. I just went through this with mine. In order to have gotten the upgrade you had to be a connect subscriber at that time when 3G was sunset. Also Not sure if the upgrade even works in the 3G panameras as they were removed from the coverage as there was issues with getting them to work with the 4g module.

Maybe someone can chime in with having the upgrade done. I wish i could get connect to work. I want it for the satellite maps and updates. Has one gotten it to work without the VTS module or figured a work around.
I thought as well I had it working since i put a Sim card into my PCM and i can get internet and with that and it says 4G LTE. But its a separate module with another cell signal.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:20 PM
Chimuel
Racer

Originally Posted by chaos2984
If your car in the US hasn't had the upgraded VTS module for 4g It will not work. I just went through this with mine. In order to have gotten the upgrade you had to be a connect subscriber at that time when 3G was sunset. Also Not sure if the upgrade even works in the 3G panameras as they were removed from the coverage as there was issues with getting them to work with the 4g module.

Maybe someone can chime in with having the upgrade done. I wish i could get connect to work. I want it for the satellite maps and updates. Has one gotten it to work without the VTS module or figured a work around.
I thought as well I had it working since i put a Sim card into my PCM and i can get internet and with that and it says 4G LTE. But its a separate module with another cell signal.
I've had the ugprade done as I've posted on other threads.

Old 03-15-2024, 02:17 AM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts

@chaos2984 Satellite view and map updates use the LTE connection as long as you have a current Navigation & Infotainment Services subscription purchased from the Porsche Connect Store, and not the obsolete 3G used by car connect.

My 2018 4S had an active Car Connect subscription with Vodaphone when our 3G service went down. I tried to get the upgrade after receiving a letter from Porsche offering the 4G upgrade. They then rescinded the offer saying my car was not upgradable. Vodaphone then cancelled my contract. Chimuel's upgrade was completed before my dealer could even order the part(s) needed, and then Porsche reneged on my upgrade reportedly running into problems with the upgrades they tried. My car was an October 2018 build. It seems hard to believe mine wasn't upgradable.

The map updates online only allow you to download three files per year which only gives you a few states given how they sliced up North America into multiple map files. There also seems to be a long delay before new maps are made available online. Its far faster to grab the latest maps from the MIB Solutions website and update all of North America at once using an SD card plugged into your SD1 slot in the glove compartment.
The following 2 users liked this post by H2Owon:
holleju (04-22-2024), scurvy (03-25-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:31 AM
djdonte
Instructor

I tried again and magically my car and the app were connected, although there wasn't much use. The only functions were schedule and add a POI from the app. I couldn't really figure out how to add more apps or functions. It would be neat if the car could navigate to whatever I find on my phone, but I could only set a destination to a POI then navigate in PCM separately. Too many steps. As for the wifi hotspot, I renamed the network and password to something easier and was able to connect a device to it, but there was no internet connectivity on the phone. I tried restarting it too. Maybe that will magically work after work too. I'm not sure what else to do with that one. Both an iphone 14 pro and an older iphone 8 were connected but no internet.

It would be nice if my car had updated maps and traffic too, but its a weekend car so not sure its worth 189. I am looking into the carplay full screen update though.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:05 AM
Chimuel
Racer

The built it navigation will never be worth paying a subscription (yes, you have to have a subscription for satellite images, traffic data, and OTA map updates) when there is android auto and carplay that always gets map and traffic updates for free.

I never got the AT&T data plan to work, but my own sim card does work but again, the throughput is slow:

My iPhone connected only to the PCM hotspot:

iPhone connected using its own cellular modem:

The tech in these cars is just not worth the time to do all this pairing and connecting for this:

Old 03-15-2024, 09:07 AM
djdonte
Instructor

Thanks. I was hoping to get the hotspot to work for my daughter on road trips. 11mb down is good enough to watch youtube kids lol. My phone acts up when I'm using carplay and the hotspot sometimes.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:29 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts

To use the car's LTE connection for a hotspot you must select that option from the Connect Store which of course is extra over the charge for the Navigation and Infotainment connection.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:28 PM
chaos2984
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by H2Owon
To use the car's LTE connection for a hotspot you must select that option from the Connect Store which of course is extra over the charge for the Navigation and Infotainment connection.
My car's hotspot works just fine without buying anything from the connect store. I just put an extra Sim card I had for my cell plan and it works just fine.

Last edited by chaos2984; 03-16-2024 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
scurvy (03-25-2024)

Quick Reply: 971 Porsche Connect and Wifi hotspot