Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:15 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am one of the lucky first Panamara e-hybrids delivered in March whose GPS system is unable to get a signal from any of the 24 GPS satellites. My dealer swapped out the module and antenna once, but the replacement was broken, too. How many of you are having the same problem?
I spoke with PCNA this afternoon,. as well as my dealership, and there is no update available for when or if Porsche will have replacement modules and antennas available. If anyone hears anything, I would appreciate your posting an update here.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2018, 08:01 PM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FriscoTexasGuy
FYI - Just received this text from my dealer regarding 2019 orders. "So I called our GSM to confirm. He said something is going on with Panamera and Macans right now. Says we wont see 2019 Panamera/ Macans until December/January."
heard something similar from my SA here in Austria. Porsche is switching to WLTP measurements as of September and getting all the certifications could be tricky. MY19 should therefore be available as of November the earliest. That is why they are trying to get as many MY18 on the road as possible by September.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:57 PM
KW411
Advanced

I took delivery of my long waited 4 e-hybrid Sport Turismo on last sat. Given it is a new car and needs time to run in, I haven't really tested its performance. With my limited city driving, I am a bit disappointed with the battery. I have the 7.2KW onboard charger, but I haven't installed a 240v charger at home yet. It took me 13 to 14 hours to fully charge the car by using the conventional 110v outlet. According to the manual, I can only take advantage of the 7.2KW charger if I use 240v. Anyway, once fully charged, it says I can go for 49KM (30 miles), but as soon as the car left my garage, it went down to 45KM, and before I drove 4 or 5 KM more, it says my range went down to 35KM. It seems that the battery under normal driving condition (A/C, radio, NAV and etc), it can only last 25-30KM at best. Also, even I am in e-mode, sometimes the engine just kicked in by itself even I don't push very hard (especially going uphill!)

Also, I thought they didn't put in the rear-wheel steering option that I ordered as I cannot notice it is working or not. I have to ask my wife to get off the car to look whether the rear wheel is turning (it did)!!! I drove a 4-wheel steering car many many years ago and I remembered it felt very different than a normal car, but not with this Panamera.

I am still getting used to ACC/PID and night vision and etc. At first, I was nervous, but after a while, they do work well, except once the car slowed down or stopped, it doesn't pick up very fast when the car in front accelerates and that leaving big gaps for cars in the adjacent lane to cut in, which sometimes can be dangerous.

The suspension works really well even I have 21" wheelset. It goes over potholes and bumps very smoothly.

For some reasons, I seem to have problems with the memory function, every time I get back to the car, I have to turn on the A/C, and re-adjust the seat. Also, the car sometimes "forget" my favorite setting on the steering wheel and I need to do it again and again. I need to look into that......

The Porsche connect app is very basic, and it takes a while to refresh the status. I thought I can search/enter a destination and send it to the car, but don't know how to do that yet.

That just my brief review from the last few days of short drives.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:19 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KW - the battery just needs training and no way will it go 30 miles city driving anyway - as much as a quoted 40 mpg car will do 50 on the motorway and 25 in town - stop start low speed driving is not efficient.

Memory should work - just make sure you don't go in with 2 keys - sometimes my wife has her key and if you are in the car with both it gets confused/doesn't put it in either mode particularly!

Don't worry about run in time, just hit sport plus and bury it - you need to turn your frown upside down!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:32 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

My SA was not very helpful when it came to figuring out what electrics likes you need to take advantage of the 7,2kW onboard charger. He said you needed 400V and 32 Amp. I was disappointed as I only have 400V 16 amp in my garage. Nevertheless, I took the charger as an option as I thought it might come in handy when I am charging the car away from home. However, after ordering he car, I did some math and this is what I want to share with you:

To calculate how much time you need to charge your car, you need 3 the following information:
1) voltage of your electricity supply
2) current
3) number of phases (1, 2 or 3)

To calculate the power:
For 1 or 2 phases:voltage x current
For 3 phase: voltage x current x 3^0,5

So in my case at home I have the following combination 400V/16amp/3phase:
400x16x1,732=11kWh

Depending on the charger you have in the car (3,6 or 7,2), and assuming 15% loss, the time needed to charge the car will be the battery size (14kWh) divided by either the charger value of your car or your electricity supply at home, whichever is lower:

In my case 7,2 is lower is than 11 so I can take advantage of my charger in the car. Assuming a 20% loss in efficiency from charging, 7,2 becomes 5,8. So to charge a 14kWh battery, like we have in our cars, I will need 14/5,8= 2,4 hours. I can only confirm this number in 2 months when my car arrives :-)

Obviously any electrical engineer here is feel free to correct me if I just wrote some BS :-)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:25 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sriklin
I am one of the lucky first Panamara e-hybrids delivered in March whose GPS system is unable to get a signal from any of the 24 GPS satellites. My dealer swapped out the module and antenna once, but the replacement was broken, too. How many of you are having the same problem?
I spoke with PCNA this afternoon,. as well as my dealership, and there is no update available for when or if Porsche will have replacement modules and antennas available. If anyone hears anything, I would appreciate your posting an update here.

Thanks
Most of us probably.

4 months and still waiting, oddly it can work even with no satellites connected, but does lose itself sometimes, and strangely in the exact same place, within metres ?
As far as I have been told by a contact at PCGB they keep rejecting new batches from their supplier. But that makes me wonder what they are putting in new cars ? - Surely they must be putting in antennas they know not to be up to the job ?
At last count I am aware of 4 batches being rejected. I have lost the will to be interested now, but keep looking at the goodwill amount adding up - make sure you complain and get something out of PC - such as the Precision school and a supplied car

Complain to your dealer in first instance, get a case number, then get onto PC customer services.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:35 AM
K777
Racer

I have driven hybrids for 3 years, both me and my business partner has.

Your not going to get 30 miles round town, as AJ says, you would not expect your engine to do the same in town as a motorway, your battery wont either.
The more harder you drive the car in battery the more juice it will use, even if its just increasing power to get up hills it will use more juice, and the more accessories you have on, such as AC, heated seats etc the more juice you will drain.
If your driving Miss Daisy then you will get more miles, whether city or motorway.
The only way you will see maximum mileage is on a motorway, and only when you are doing a number of charges per single trip, as it will calculate your range through the history of the latest trip/charge. - just like it would with the engine.
I have, in my previous S -E Hybrid ( that was 22), but its rare.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:20 PM
ahha128821
6th Gear

Has anyone been able to send navigation destinations from the iPhone Connect app to the PCM in the car. I took my car to my dealer and he swore that it is possible but after about an hour of him and another technician playing around they couldn’t figure it out...I would regularly use this function so if anyone has experience setting it up pls let me know?
Old 05-16-2018, 06:07 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

My battery for the first time in 6 months went up to 46km indicated range, which is 8km more than I have ever seen before. I have no idea why it has suddenly started to behave. I have done nothing different. In France I am only charging at 3kw. The real electric mileage you will get is very "slope" dependant and given the freewheeling nature of the car and its 2300kg weight, it's not surprising. Going downhill to my nearest medium sized town in France, about 12km away only consumes 2 to 3 km of battery. However on the way back up, it needs at least 35km range indicated, before it will get the 12km back home without starting the ICE.

Wilson
Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K777 - interesting what you say about the antenna. Mine is due to go back in on Monday to have this looked at but is there any point if they haven't got the antenna in stock? May ask the dealer to confirm.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:07 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by ajriches01
K777 - interesting what you say about the antenna. Mine is due to go back in on Monday to have this looked at but is there any point if they haven't got the antenna in stock? May ask the dealer to confirm.
Leeds had mine in in February for two days and told me they are still waiting the part, even though their system indicated it was in stock. I asked for the car back because I couldn't see the point them having it whilst the part wasn't even with them.

Now, Leeds allocate me a car (since mid April), and then contact me the day before to advise if the parts arrived (usually I have already found out from Reading that it isn't available), then Leeds allocate me a car in a couple of weeks, recurring etc.

So I would suggest you call them the day before and ask if they have it physically.
It seems they show in stock in Germany, but never make it to Reading and so never make it to the dealers.#
Old 05-17-2018, 05:19 AM
K777
Racer

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
M Going downhill to my nearest medium sized town in France, about 12km away only consumes 2 to 3 km of battery. However on the way back up, it needs at least 35km range indicated, before it will get the 12km back home without starting the ICE.

Wilson
If you are going up hill mostly back the 12km then you will not just use 12km of battery range ( you wouldn't use the same petrol down hill and uphill) , downhill you will be also charging a lot, as you coast or brake, uphill you will not be recharging either. Your range of 35km is because the car is looking at the previous trip (or maybe trips), as in the downhill trip. So it indicates a high range for the downhill trip you just made. What is the range at the top of the hill when you are charged up again ?
I suspect the hill is quick significant.

The other thing you can do is take it in to the dealer and ask them to check the battery and all its cells are all charging fully , but I would expect you to have an error message saying "Epower not available - ok to drive on engine" if the system detected any fault at all with the battery.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:52 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by K777
If you are going up hill mostly back the 12km then you will not just use 12km of battery range ( you wouldn't use the same petrol down hill and uphill) , downhill you will be also charging a lot, as you coast or brake, uphill you will not be recharging either. Your range of 35km is because the car is looking at the previous trip (or maybe trips), as in the downhill trip. So it indicates a high range for the downhill trip you just made. What is the range at the top of the hill when you are charged up again ?
I suspect the hill is quick significant.

The other thing you can do is take it in to the dealer and ask them to check the battery and all its cells are all charging fully , but I would expect you to have an error message saying "Epower not available - ok to drive on engine" if the system detected any fault at all with the battery.
Yes I do realise that the indicated range is only a wild and usually optimistic guesstimate. I was posting those figures to demonstrate how the real range varies dramatically depending on whether going downhill or uphill on the same road. My house is just under 800 metres altitude and the nearby town, Salernes, is between 300 and 400 metres. My battery and charge were checked before I left the UK, with no problems found, as the highest charge figure I had seen was 21 miles/34km since getting the vehicle in October. This did not improve much when I got down to the warmer climes of southern France, although to be fair, the weather has been pretty foul this year. This was until two days ago when the indicated range suddenly jumped from 36km to 46km. I have just charged it again over the last few hours and it is showing 46km again, which given the terrain I am driving over and being a black car with panorama roof, air con is running quite hard, even in very hazy sun, 46km indicated theoretical range is as good as could be expected from a max of 50km. If I leave Salernes with 35km range showing, running in E mode, it will switch the engine on at the last slope just before reaching my house. The final 4 km of range seems to disappear in a flash in around ½ a km. I only did it as an experiment. I normally come up the very steep and many sharp bends and hairpins road in Sport mode, as the rear seems under better control in Sport. In E or Hybrid modes, I am quite conscious of the weight of the battery behind the back wheels. Now it's not like my early 2.6L Kremer 911 (started life as a 2.4S) with a 95% locking ZF diff, that I had in the 1970's, which would look for any opportunity to swap ends, even under braking but you can feel the weight of the battery on the Hybrid.

Wilson
Old 05-17-2018, 10:58 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Has anybody experienced a steering-wheel annoyance as described in this new article?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/05...k-of-a-hybrid/
Old 05-18-2018, 02:34 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rsyed
My SA was not very helpful when it came to figuring out what electrics likes you need to take advantage of the 7,2kW onboard charger. He said you needed 400V and 32 Amp. I was disappointed as I only have 400V 16 amp in my garage. Nevertheless, I took the charger as an option as I thought it might come in handy when I am charging the car away from home. However, after ordering he car, I did some math and this is what I want to share with you:

To calculate how much time you need to charge your car, you need 3 the following information:
1) voltage of your electricity supply
2) current
3) number of phases (1, 2 or 3)

To calculate the power:
For 1 or 2 phases:voltage x current
For 3 phase: voltage x current x 3^0,5

So in my case at home I have the following combination 400V/16amp/3phase:
400x16x1,732=11kWh

Depending on the charger you have in the car (3,6 or 7,2), and assuming 15% loss, the time needed to charge the car will be the battery size (14kWh) divided by either the charger value of your car or your electricity supply at home, whichever is lower:

In my case 7,2 is lower is than 11 so I can take advantage of my charger in the car. Assuming a 20% loss in efficiency from charging, 7,2 becomes 5,8. So to charge a 14kWh battery, like we have in our cars, I will need 14/5,8= 2,4 hours. I can only confirm this number in 2 months when my car arrives :-)

Obviously any electrical engineer here is feel free to correct me if I just wrote some BS :-)
I am not an electrical engineer. I have a 240V outlet in my garage (U.S.) and I also have the 7.2 Kw charger option. Your math is pretty good assuming your setup is similar to mine. My car consistently takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes to do a full charge when fully discharged. Also, as you mention, my car also consistently shows 27 or 28 miles range after a full charge but as soon as I leave the house and drive a short distance it does in fact drop a mile or two fairly quickly. On the 27 mile initial charge I'm actually getting about 23 miles before the ICE kicks on. I believe that is because I do drive somewhat aggressively and I get onto the freeway and drive 70 mph or higher for about 10 or more miles usually soon after leaving the house. I've done about 1000 miles thus far with half of that on the interstate coming up from LA at speeds between 75-90 mph. Still haven't exceeded 4000 rpm or even come close for that matter but I'm getting tired of waiting to really jump on this car!!

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread