Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:03 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I received a call from my dealer this evening and was told that they had just received notification from PCNA that the Panamera 4 E Hybrid was just given certification by the EPA. They expect CARB by March 30. Maybe this is for real this time, my fellow Hybrid bloggers.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:58 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(1) why would an electric-motor battery pack be used to power electrical items in the car (audio, AC/heat, lighting, etc.), as opposed to letting the gas engine power the alternator, as in ICE-only cars? Or at least let the driver choose between the two, to conserve battery power for the electric motor from the 14-kWh battery pack (in the case of the 2018 Panamera)? Battery capacity is so low as it is, in terms of low driving range...

The point is that AC/heat can only be driven from the high voltage system - a non-electric car with stop-start will power down the A/C when stopped and can run it at all for less than a minute (in my experience). High voltage system keeps the engine off as long as possible which is how MPG is kept high.

(2) What happens if you go for days or weeks (say on a long road trip, not bringing the charging cables along) without charging the E-Hybrid battery pack via AC outlets (i.e., only via the ICE)?
Does the battery lose efficiency over time if not fully charged for long periods?

I think these batteries are not supposed to fade for 10 years plus. On my pan-European last year I was either in eighth gear at 85 mph where the battery will slowly drain with coasting etc, powering up the alps in Sport mode (this charges the battery very nicely) or coasting down the alps (so satisfying to reach the bottom of a very long hill with 15 miles of free range! In other words, normal driving will charge and de-charge the battery anyway.

(3) Are there any available graphs/plots/data on the expected charge output (battery degradation) of these new Porsche battery packs as a function of number of charges and/or a function of time? Does anybody with an older S E-Hybrid Cayenne or Panamera have any information on this from experience?

As above. New tech is way more advanced than the previous generation anyway.

(4) Seeing that news story today about the Panamera E-Hybrid that caught fire while charging at a home in Thailand, I'm wondering if there is any concern plugging such a vehicle into a normal 120-volt home outlet overnight regularly?

240v in the UK - absolutely not. I would have a dedicated trip switch going to the car socket but otherwise the car and "pill" both regulate the charging etc. It stops charging as and when full anyway and you then have to re-start it with the app if you say set the climate control to pre-heat (i.e. it doesn't constantly trickle charge, it charges then stops).

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/deta...ional/30341102

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:42 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
I received a call from my dealer this evening and was told that they had just received notification from PCNA that the Panamera 4 E Hybrid was just given certification by the EPA. They expect CARB by March 30. Maybe this is for real this time, my fellow Hybrid bloggers.
I received a similar call from my Atlanta dealer last night. Since we are not a "CARB state" he expects that the backlog of cars at the port will start to be cleared at last. By coincidence, my own car just arrived at the port yesterday. What timing!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:57 AM
hueydumps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Just heard from my SA and he said it cleared CARB yesterday, just hasn’t been announced. Here in MD we are a CARB state so he’s been paying close attention. We’ll see !
Old 03-22-2018, 05:41 AM
Renan Lorenci
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi everyone, I am from Brazil and just got mine!

Old 03-22-2018, 05:44 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She is beautiful - really like the gloss black pack (not available when I ordered mine). Not normally a fan of those wheels but they look awesome with that combination.

Congratulations.

Ps. Brazil looks lovely! Somewhat warmer than the UK
Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lovely, what options did you get - I notice the black sports exhaust/sports body pack and gloss black and black lights.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Are hybrids popular in Brazil ?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 AM
ClayMan28
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone heard my new news about MY2019, when they're coming, and any changes other than the deviated leather seats that PorscheCFP mentioned?

If 2019 is just around the corner I'd prefer to wait for it, especially if there are any interesting changes. But the Porsche Centre has been tight-lipped about it.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:12 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ClayMan28
Has anyone heard my new news about MY2019, when they're coming, and any changes other than the deviated leather seats that PorscheCFP mentioned?

If 2019 is just around the corner I'd prefer to wait for it, especially if there are any interesting changes. But the Porsche Centre has been tight-lipped about it.
same issue here... i have a june slot and I would be very upset if I missed out on any exciting changes for MY19. If you are from Europe, it is either a June production or a November production as between these two months, the transition to WLTP will be happening and production will be halted for European deliveries, so my dealer.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:24 PM
Renan Lorenci
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ajriches01
She is beautiful - really like the gloss black pack (not available when I ordered mine). Not normally a fan of those wheels but they look awesome with that combination.

Congratulations.

Ps. Brazil looks lovely! Somewhat warmer than the UK

Thank You! The temperature over here is arround 27c•
Old 03-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Renan Lorenci
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by K777
Lovely, what options did you get - I notice the black sports exhaust/sports body pack and gloss black and black lights.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Are hybrids popular in Brazil ?
Hi! Over here they are not popular at all, we have quotes for only 50 cars in the whole country, and not many places to charge it. I had to wait a year to get it, and over here there is a 60.000usd diference between the 4ehybrid and the 4s. The hybrid is cheaper.
my options were:
sport design package in highgloss
rear axle stearing
Sports exhaust in black
boose sorround
14 way seats
4 zone climate
panoramic roof
darker tail lights.

I saw some comments about the eletric range in cold weather, I am getting 50km of range if I have the ac off, or 46 km with ac on witch is about 28 miles. It takes 3:45 minutes to charge it from 0 to 100%. How long does it take to charge it over there?
Old 03-23-2018, 08:21 PM
nayakvs
3rd Gear

Picked up my Panamera 4e Hybrid in dallas finally

FINALLY HERE ( Dallas,TX), after almost 5 months at the port.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:30 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice. Curious if you saw any other hybrids at Park Place...
Old 03-23-2018, 08:40 PM
nayakvs
3rd Gear

I believe they got at least 6, but all pre-ordered and sold
Old 03-23-2018, 08:48 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been waiting to test drive before placing order. I would like to know what you think after your first few days in it.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread