Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:05 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
Yesterday I received an email from my contact at CARB. He has received all the required information from Porsche and he submitted the EO for management approval for the certification of the 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid yesterday afternoon. He said Management approval could take a few days. I'm hoping we will receive the CARB certification this week or early next week. Then we just have to wait for the cars to start shipping from the ports to the dealership.
Does this mean the Panamera 4 Sport Turismo E-Hybrid will have passed, as well? Or will that have to go through separate EPA and CARB certification?
Old 03-08-2018, 12:00 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Does this mean the Panamera 4 Sport Turismo E-Hybrid will have passed, as well? Or will that have to go through separate EPA and CARB certification?
I honestly don't know the answer to your question but my guess is each car has to go through it's own EPA and CARB certification. Since the powertrain is essentially identical between the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid and the Sport Turismo E-Hybrid I would think the data is readily available for Porsche to provide to the two agencies. We'll know soon enough.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:28 AM
Zetta
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 100 Posts

Does anybody of you guys have a silent ticking when the engine is on? It is very silent (when cold - it is a little bit louder). When pushig gas it gets faster, when going off from gas - ONLY in this moment you can't hear it any more. At the Porsche Centre the mechanic told me it could be from the high-pressure pump - because when you open the hood you can hear it ticking loud (it is a visuable part on the right side of the car). This noise drives me crazy!
Old 03-09-2018, 12:59 PM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetta
Does anybody of you guys have a silent ticking when the engine is on? It is very silent (when cold - it is a little bit louder). When pushig gas it gets faster, when going off from gas - ONLY in this moment you can't hear it any more. At the Porsche Centre the mechanic told me it could be from the high-pressure pump - because when you open the hood you can hear it ticking loud (it is a visuable part on the right side of the car). This noise drives me crazy!
Not noticed but will have a listen
Old 03-12-2018, 05:46 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I wonder if other owners are having an Apps connection issue with their iPhones? My phone is connected via Bluetooth to the PCM (not cable which I use to connect an iPod Classic with no Bluetooth to the PCM). The phone works properly and transmits contacts and calendar to the PCM. The phone after a bit of fiddling around is now connecting automatically to the PCM's wifi and also transmits the saved pairing code for Porsche Connect. What is not happening is the PCM waking up the Connect App on the phone, so that the only Apps I have appearing on the PCM are the standard apps (2 rows + 1 App). None of the Porsche Connect Apps are appearing, Napster, Radio.de etc. If I go into my phone and manually wake up the Connect app, all then appears and works after a couple of minutes. I had a very long conversation with Porsche Connect helpline and they think that my PCM software may be faulty and need reloading/updating. This was because when we were trying to connect the PCM to the internet via a phone hotspot, rather than the internal SIM card, the menus that the Porsche Connect rep was seeing on his system did not match my menus. We failed to get the PCM to connect via my phone hotspot to check if the internal SIM was faulty. I am dubious about there being an error on my software. I just suspect what he was seeing on his screen was a different version of the PCM operating system. I have noticed mine is quite different from the videos that Porsche show, not least as mine is a RHD not LHD car as they show.

Are others having issues getting apps like Napster and Radio firing up without having to manually wake up the Connect App on their phone?

The other point where I have not been able to get a straight answer is the cost of Porsche Connect Streaming, after the free period to 30th June 2018 expires. Porsche Connect say "ask your dealer as it varies from country to country". My dealer says nobody has told them. Not very helpful. I want to know if it will be more expensive than buying more data on one of my phone contracts, either France or the UK.

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 03-12-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

In post #616 I said "I have just been told by by local Canadian Porsche dealership that the 2018 e-hybrid Panamera's have been released" and it seems there were quite a few non believers, well I now have the rail car info with an ETA at the Local Railhead (Vancouver BC) for next week 3/20/2018. Looks like it's time to start getting excited for everyone thats been waiting for their cars
Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Galavanta
Hi All,

In post #616 I said "I have just been told by by local Canadian Porsche dealership that the 2018 e-hybrid Panamera's have been released" and it seems there were quite a few non believers, well I now have the rail car info with an ETA at the Local Railhead (Vancouver BC) for next week 3/20/2018. Looks like it's time to start getting excited for everyone thats been waiting for their cars
Great for you!! We are still waiting for the final CARB management approval but I'm thinking Canada only needed the EPA certification, correct? CARB posted up another couple of Porsche certifications today which included the Sport Turismo models, but the E-Hybrds are still waiting for final approval. Hopefully in the next few days, then our California cars can leave the port.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Yes, Canada piggybacks on the US EPA, as far as I know it's only California that needs CARB certification. My guy said the Turbo E-Hybrids have still not been released by EPA.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:57 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All GREAT news for all you who have been waiting so long. I feel your joy and excitement and look forward to the pictures. Dilly, Dilly!!!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:03 AM
KW411
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Galavanta
Hi All,

Galavanta,

If you can get your car in the next couple of months, you don't have the pay the extra new 10% luxury car tax in BC!! Can you share with me how long did it take from (V311 - Exit factory compound Leipzid) to (V900 Entry dealership) for your order? Mine supposed to be in V311 in the next few days and my estimate to delivery by mid May.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:26 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Wilson - same issue, you need to open the app for it to connect. That said, am relatively relaxed as apps constantly running in the background tend to eat battery.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:32 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cars gone in to the dealer today.
Engine management light came on when pressing the boost button from electric (done plenty of times before).
Been on for a week whilst waiting the dealer appointment, but runs perfectly still.
Also got the to much oil warning a few days before that.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:45 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Wilson - same issue, you need to open the app for it to connect. That said, am relatively relaxed as apps constantly running in the background tend to eat battery.
Many thanks. It's always nice to know I am not the only one on the planet with the problem. According to Porsche Connect in Berlin, as soon as the PCM connects to an iPhone via the internal wifi and the Connect pairing code is exchanged, the iPhone should wake the Connect app automatically. I don't know if yours is a UK car but if it is, maybe Connect Berlin is correct and updated soft/firmware is needed for RHD cars' PCM's to make Connect work as conceived. The other minor but I suspect related problem, is that when you have found a streaming station you like on Radio.de and try to add it to favourites by touching the star, I get the message "you are not connected to Porsche Connect".

Wilson
Old 03-13-2018, 06:51 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by K777
Cars gone in to the dealer today.
Engine management light came on when pressing the boost button from electric (done plenty of times before).
Been on for a week whilst waiting the dealer appointment, but runs perfectly still.
Also got the to much oil warning a few days before that.
Perhaps Porsche should have made their own V6 engine instead of buying one from Audi. I am beginning to get the impression that development of the E-Hybrid cars may have been rushed to add some "greenwash" to the VAG group image and that insufficient testing/bug killing has taken place. These are the most complicated road cars Porsche has ever built and maybe there is a lack of in-house expertise on hybrids. The engine constantly turning off and on, as it does in hybrid mode, must present some issues to engine heating/cooling cycles including condensation/fuel leakage into the engine oil.

Wilson
Old 03-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Galavanta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KW411
Galavanta,

If you can get your car in the next couple of months, you don't have the pay the extra new 10% luxury car tax in BC!! Can you share with me how long did it take from (V311 - Exit factory compound Leipzid) to (V900 Entry dealership) for your order? Mine supposed to be in V311 in the next few days and my estimate to delivery by mid May.
Hi KW411,
V311 was 07/25/2017
V900 hasn't happened yet as it is only arriving in Vancouver 3/20/2018

Please remember that this car has been sitting in Halifax port for most of the winter due to the EPA debacle.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread