Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread - Page 108 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:11 PM
griffith_500
User

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw View Post
On UK cars, I don't think you can't get at the built in SIM to change it for your own one or I would do that. I will ask my dealer if he will let me know where the SIM is, maybe behind a panel, so that I can get at it and change it.

You don't need to remove the internal sim. In the glove box there should be a slot where you can insert the SIM. What model year do you have?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:32 PM
rsyed
Addict
Rennlist Member

in the glove box - very easily accessible :-)
Old 12-15-2018, 04:05 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
User

Yes I do have the additional SIM slot in my 2018 model year car but how will that link in to the Porsche data services, for things like map updates and the other Porsche Connect services? Will putting a SIM in here, override the built in SIM? The manual is its usual useless self when it comes to explaining in detail how this works. I note that my dealer sometimes refers to a fat PCM manual, which is not supplied at least with UK cars. The overall car manual actually supplied, keeps saying "for more detail on the PCM refer to page xxx". When you go to page xxx, there is little to no more detail. On my previous Porsches, with far simpler PCM's, you got a large manual just for the PCM.

Wilson
Old 12-15-2018, 04:14 AM
rsyed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just insert the sim card and then either it will override the internal sim card or just go the the device manager for activate the data for the external sim card. The symbol should be green.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:58 PM
rsyed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here you go - stick in the sim card, go to your devices and just press the icon once to turn it from white to green. Then you are all set..

Old 12-16-2018, 04:31 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
User

Thanks guys. I will ask Vodafone for an extra data SIM. Because I rarely use my iPhone for anything other than calls or texts (I use an iPad or laptop for data use from wifi), I rarely use more than a small fraction of the 3/4G data in my monthly package. Even if I have to have a separate contract, it has to be far cheaper than Porsche's £29.99/month. Oddly my data connection worked for the first time for a few weeks yesterday, so maybe Porsche Smart Connect have switched me back on while they sort their payment systems.

Wilson
Old 12-16-2018, 04:52 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
User

Vodafone have offered me a 15GB/month data only, 3/4G SIM for £15.00 per month. That is double the data for half the price compared with Porsche. Ooh - now let me think which one I will go with. The only fly in the ointment is if the idiots in our parliament, including our MP who is stupidity personified, continue their self-centred moronic behaviour and we crash out of the EU with no deal. Not only am I going to have to apply for an extended stay permit every year, which is €289 per annum from the French consulate in London, following an intrusive personal interview, for the annual five month stay at my French house but the EU wide mobile data coverage pricing agreement will probably stop for UK residents.

Wilson
Old 12-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
User

I have the Vodafone data card inserted and active. It does allow me to do certain things, like online searching for navigation but I have a feeling that other items seem to want to connect via my phone. While listening to Radio.net radio, I tried to add a station to favourites and it asked me to connect to the Porsche Connect. I don't know if the music streaming from Radio.net is being streamed via my phone or the data SIM. I hope the SIM. It also said if I wanted to connect to the Porsche connect system, I would have to use the built in SIM. I am not sure this is legal in the UK, where there is enforced freedom of data connection. I also tried to update some maps but apparently I have had the three updates I am allowed and the rest have to be bought from my local dealer. Compared with Tesla where any updates (not upgrades) are free, this seems a bit like gouging on the part of Porsche. I suppose they would otherwise miss out on the exorbitant £600 they used to charge for the update DVD's. I used to buy them from a UK eBay seller who charged £100.

Wilson
Old 12-17-2018, 10:41 AM
rsyed
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am a big fan of radio.net and I too have to start Porsche Connect on my phone to see the radio.net icon on the apps screen in the pcm. I guess this is to ensure the correct authentication rather than stream over my phone. Even if it is, I am just using the 2nd sim car of my phone number so literally it is using the same data budget available to me. But coming back to you - I think the porsche connect app needs to get started becuase of authentication reasons.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:20 AM
bosch
User

Originally Posted by Pana TJ View Post
I think I can confirm this. I did an experiment and started the Preheat function from my phone's Porsche Connect App. When I went out to the car, the same symbol was on my dashboard, but in a different spot. It was in the lower left of the instrument panel. The car was not running, but the heat was turned on. When I turned the preheat off on the App, the heat turned off and the symbol went away. Attached is a picture, but it is not very clear, my apologies. Nice observation, Bosch. Never noticed until you pointed it out. (having problems getting picture to attach...…)
Thanks. I came to the same conclusion. I was trying to preheat my car with the app, and I guess it took awhile to work. It kicked in as I was driving. Strange why it is in a different location on the cluster.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:25 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
User

Originally Posted by rsyed View Post
I am a big fan of radio.net and I too have to start Porsche Connect on my phone to see the radio.net icon on the apps screen in the pcm. I guess this is to ensure the correct authentication rather than stream over my phone. Even if it is, I am just using the 2nd sim car of my phone number so literally it is using the same data budget available to me. But coming back to you - I think the porsche connect app needs to get started becuase of authentication reasons.
I have found it close to impossible to add stations as favourites on Radio.net via the PCM, as clicking on the star just brings up: "you need to be logged on to Porsche Connect" (which I am already) . However, if you use the same sign on as on your phone, on a laptop, it is very easy to search for stations/genres etc that you like and add them by opening the station and then clicking on the heart. These then appear on the favourites list on the PCM. Another little foible, indicating that the software on the PCM is "work in progress" and as for their Berlin based No Help desk, words fail me. They seem to speak excellent English, way better than my German anyway, so I don't think it is a language issue.

Wilson
Old 12-19-2018, 05:08 AM
rsyed
Addict
Rennlist Member

I touch the star, for 3 seconds "data is loading" and then the star is white and the station is added to my favorites.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:44 PM
Steve Williams
New User

Nice, I have a 2019 Tourismo 4 hybrid building Jan and coming in March and am glad to know there are more out there. Few and far between here in the USA.. I'm so far from a dealership (155 miles) I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.. Always have been a DIY type, just hoping I won't be running back and forth for maintenance issues..
Old 12-19-2018, 04:21 PM
cometguy
User

Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
Nice, I have a 2019 Tourismo 4 hybrid building Jan and coming in March and am glad to know there are more out there. Few and far between here in the USA.. I'm so far from a dealership (155 miles) I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.. Always have been a DIY type, just hoping I won't be running back and forth for maintenance issues..
Please keep us posted on the timing of your car -- shipping date from Germany, arrival at US port, release from US port. I suspect that there will be delays again this year for the 2019 Panameras due to EPA and CARB certification, with the new EU-mandated particulate filters installed. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to have the US and California agencies approve all 2019 Porsches for release to new buyers.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Matril01
User

Default Programming Diamond Button on Steering Wheel

Does anyone know if it is possible to program the little button with a diamond on the steering wheel to assign it to scroll through "my favorites" radio stations? Thx!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: