Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:04 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I think you have to be very careful not to put keys, coins or phones on it. I found that with the faux carbon fibre I had many years ago on my 996 Turbo - very easy to scratch the gel coat surface.

Wilson
Old 11-07-2018, 02:24 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Matril01
I have a question for the collected wisdom of the group. I ordered my Pan 4 E Hybrid this past August. It’s at sea now on its way to the US.... the expected delivery is Dec 1. I DID NOT order the smoking package because I want that real estate in the front seat area to hold my phone (I understand that some phones might not fit. And I also understand that the ashtray half can be removed, but the push button lighter can not...at least easily). It is my understanding that even though these cars should come without the lighter and ashtray when ordered this way, many (and per my SA, mine included) are arriving with the lighter option. My question is twofold...have any of you had your car delivered with out the push button lighter? And if it did arrive with the lighter, can this be retrofitted and removed?

Im beginning to push back on my SA on this issue because I’m very disappointed. He is telling me that they all arrive this way and Porsche doesn’t ship without the lighter. If any of you have the car with out the lighter option in the front seat, can you please share a picture? It would be very helpful for me to show my SA. Thank you in advance.
This also happened to me: I did not order the smoking package, and I got a cigarette lighter and ash tray in the compartment that I was hoping to use for storing such things as iPhone.
And my dealer's service people also said that it would be a very complex fix to pull out the smoking package and put in the storage compartment. So I just removed the cigarette lighter and bought a two-USB-port 12-volt insert (see attached photo), which helps when my wife is in the car with me, so that we now have three USB charging ports in the front seats area.

But next time I order a Porsche, I will have my dealer put in a special note to make SURE that smoking package is not put in. I see from others responding to this thread that it appears to be a common occurrence, unfortunately. I hate having to put my iPhone in my cupholder, as I then can't use one of the cupholders for cups. Not well-thought-out by Porsche; I don't know how it is in Europe and Asia, but I suspect that very very few owners of Panameras in North America smoke or allow smoking in their Panameras (smoke destroys car interiors, and these are expensive interiors).

Last edited by cometguy; 11-07-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
This also happened to me: I did not order the smoking package, and I got a cigarette lighter and ash tray in the compartment that I was hoping to use for storing such things as iPhone.
And my dealer's service people also said that it would be a very complex fix to pull out the smoking package and put in the storage compartment. So I just removed the cigarette lighter and bought a two-USB-port 12-volt insert (see attached photo), which helps when my wife is in the car with me, so that we now have three USB charging ports in the front seats area.

But next time I order a Porsche, I will have my dealer put in a special note to make SURE that smoking package is not put in. I see from others responding to this thread that it appears to be a common occurrence, unfortunately. I hate having to put my iPhone in my cupholder, as I then can't use one of the cupholders for cups. Not well-thought-out by Porsche.
Commetguy, where did you get the Two-USB-Port insert?, that looks nice and clean

Old 11-07-2018, 10:16 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DogWood
Commetguy, where did you get the Two-USB-Port insert?, that looks nice and clean
This works flawlessly; I've been using it for half a year now, no problems.

Amazon Amazon
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2/
AUKEY Car Charger, Flush Fit Dual Port 24W/4.8A Output for iPhone XS/Max/XR/X/8, iPad Pro/Air 2/Mini, Samsung Galaxy Note9/Note8/S9/S9+ and More ...
Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Sweet thanks Cometguy!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:49 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm very surprised that some of you are actually receiving the smoking package when you didn't order it. My E-Hybrid did not come with the smoking package and if it had I would have been quite upset. The SA who indicated that all USA cars are coming with the smoking package is totally misinformed!!
Old 11-08-2018, 03:34 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Cometguy, many thanks for the info on the Aukey charger. This is much neater (and higher current) than the single outlet adapter I am currently using in the armrest socket. I just ordered one from Amazon UK.

Wilson
Old 11-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Matril01
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to everyone for the posts and picture. Please keep the info coming...the more I know, the harder I’m going to push my SA. Thx
Old 11-08-2018, 11:34 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Our 4 E-Hybrid was ordered in December 2017 and delivered March 2018. We did NOT order the smoking package but we DID receive it. (For us it has never been a big issue.)
Old 11-08-2018, 12:24 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same problem with my Android version of the Connect App, version 1.9.3. The information from fuel, charge and mileage are not even close to accurate. I reported it to Porsche USA two weeks ago. I received a call from them yesterday to tell me that they were still working on the fix. They told me that the fix was coming soon. I suspect that the fixed update will come out simultaneously for iPhone and Android. Please post when you receive an update, as it may roll out at different times in different markets.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by sriklin
I have had the same problem with my Android version of the Connect App, version 1.9.3. The information from fuel, charge and mileage are not even close to accurate. I reported it to Porsche USA two weeks ago. I received a call from them yesterday to tell me that they were still working on the fix. They told me that the fix was coming soon. I suspect that the fixed update will come out simultaneously for iPhone and Android. Please post when you receive an update, as it may roll out at different times in different markets.
I hope their definition of soon is quicker than the RHD UK car PCM soft/firmware update, to correct the digital speedo not changing from MPH to KPH with the other displays, when you change units. Promised in May - still waiting, in spite of much chasing.

Wilson
Old 11-09-2018, 09:18 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Default Extra socket - what is it?

I was just changing the very bulky USB charger in the armrest power socket, to the very neat dual outlet Aukey model, when I noticed there is an additional socket in the armrest between the power socket and the USB and 3.5mm aux sockets. It is very difficult to see what it is as there is a shield or plug protector above it but it looks either like an Ethernet CAT 5 or USB-B (printer etc) socket. The user manual is its usual useless self when it comes to this and is totally silent about this socket. I think the manual issued to UK users is the same as the US one, even though there are significant differences between the cars (RHD v LHD just for one). There are also loads of errors and omissions for example on page 189, they label the USB port and Aux sockets the wrong way round. Anyone know what this socket is? Otherwise I will have to get a mirror and a torch to have a look. That will at least tell me what sort of socket it is, even though I will still not know what it is for.

Wilson

Old 11-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
I was just changing the very bulky USB charger in the armrest power socket, to the very neat dual outlet Aukey model, when I noticed there is an additional socket in the armrest between the power socket and the USB and 3.5mm aux sockets. It is very difficult to see what it is as there is a shield or plug protector above it but it looks either like an Ethernet CAT 5 or USB-B (printer etc) socket. The user manual is its usual useless self when it comes to this and is totally silent about this socket. I think the manual issued to UK users is the same as the US one, even though there are significant differences between the cars (RHD v LHD just for one). There are also loads of errors and omissions for example on page 189, they label the USB port and Aux sockets the wrong way round. Anyone know what this socket is? Otherwise I will have to get a mirror and a torch to have a look. That will at least tell me what sort of socket it is, even though I will still not know what it is for.

Wilson
Wilson, I looked at my console and you are correct. There is a small square shaped black plastic covering between the power and the USB ports. When I used my mirror and flashlight to see up into the covering, all I see are components of a printed circuit board. There was no evidence that something is plugged into this slot and I would advise against it. I am thinking this may be there only to have a place to lift out the console liner. I will remember to ask the tech when I talk to him next. Good call, I never really noticed it before.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:06 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

FWIW, a lot of chatter in the Cayenne forum about the smoking package being included when not ordered. And, interestingly, delivery timing being delayed when spec'd with no smoking package.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:32 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw

Wilson
I think it's a USB connection (that does not allow charging) for a media player. My son plugged his iPhone in it once by accident and noticed it didn't charge.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread