Panamera 2010-Current

Help with Iphone/internet/Rear entertainment System in 2017 Panamera

Old 05-29-2017, 08:59 AM
David Patel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Iphone/internet/Rear entertainment System in 2017 Panamera

Hi guys
I've been experimenting and finding it really hard to figure out the indepth options on using mobile phones within the car.
i have an Iphone 6s, i do NOT have a dedicated SIM in the PCM unit inside the glove compartment and i am finding that without turning ON Personal Hotspot first, i cannot use the NAV which uses google earth giving traffic and Porsche apps (albeit they seem to be useless, except the calendar which again only works if i have hotspot turned on).
i found that using my sons Samsung the symbol at the tope indicated LTE and then he could use the NAV/apps and everything and the rear entertainment tablets could browse.

am i right in sayign that Porsche don't support Android Play, only Apple car Play.
I'd really appreciate anyone who has got the experience to give me the pointers on best using all the functions using an Iphone. Or do i need a second sim with data package?
D
Old 06-03-2017, 02:49 PM
lee_337
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

I feel your pain, I think the way Porsche markets their stuff is that they provide limited information on their web site hoping to initiate a relationship with a sales person. The problem with this logic is that most sales people I have dealt with are not really all that detail oriented, and are of little help when it comes to in depth product knowledge, especially when it comes to tech.

I have only spent about 25 minutes in the demo car trying to figure stuff out. As technology is such a huge aspect of this car, more information on how stuff works would be great. I have read the manual, and it is more or less useless.

I am not sure where you are located, but my sales dude indicated that here in Canada the sim slot in the glovebox which is included in the 'Connect Plus module' is standard.

Have you installed the PCM Connect App on your phone? This, I believe facilitates an internet connection without using the Personal Hotspot, which in Apple fashion is a PITA to use as it requires user intervention each time you want to use it.

You are correct, Porsche does not offer Android auto, just Apple CarPlay. I think the only manufacturer that does it wireless is BMW, I am pretty sure you have to plug your phone in.

Hope that helps, let me know if it does!

Lee
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2017, 08:19 PM
and7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would strongly recommend a data only sim in the glove box. Best solution for an IPhone and PCM. In a new car your dealer should give you one free--2GB per month for 3 months. You can then top up.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:36 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely just buy a data sim then you don't have to worry about it. I use Vodafone but GiffGaff does £20 a month for unlimited data.

Otherwise, go to "Devices" then try and press on the "Data" icon next to your phone. It should then use your mobile for data. Google Earth works well in my view, or at least looks very cool!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with Iphone/internet/Rear entertainment System in 2017 Panamera