Panamera 2010-Current

2018 4 E-Hybrid vs. 4S

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:00 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2018 4 E-Hybrid vs. 4S

I'm contemplating plunking down a deposit for a 2018 Sport Turismo allocation for late fall delivery. But the question is which one?

Never had much of a reason to consider hybrids in the past and nobody will ever accuse me of being a greenie.

But I'm torn on this one. Performance differences seem to be pretty negligible. Starting base price is $5,200 cheaper with the e-Hybrid and (if I'm reading this right) Sport Chrono is included with the e-Hybrid whereas in the S it's an additional $2,200, which means the difference is actually closer to $7,400.

Furthermore, my life these days revolves around short trip errands and ferrying the kids around town, so I like the idea of doing these hops on pure electric by charging the battery every night. I like the promise of a more instant reaction from the mill to my right foot when the e motor and the ICE are working together.

The negatives for me are minor to moderate: The acid green badges and brake calipers clash with just about every exterior color!!! lol. Yeah, I know I can get the calipers in black for no extra charge and debadge the rest, but whatever. I love quad pipes. Can only get it in the S. But the biggest negative to the e-hybrid is the complexity. There just seems to be more things that could break further down the line, should I choose to keep the Panny past it's warranty period.

So I seem to be leaning e-Hybrid, say 70-30. But would love to hear some opinions on the matter.

Thanks,
Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Oops! Apologies for what appears to be a dupe thread posted a few days ago. But a quick glimpse there didn't offer too much of a discussion.

Soooo....
Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't understand why not much interest either. The Sport Turismo looks interesting to me also. I just ask myself is it worth the extra cost over my Macan GTS. I've driven the 4S and it cost almost twice as much but it's not twice as good.

The biggest upset with the hybrid is the extra weight. I'm still considering the hybrid over the 4S but I don't think it will drive as well and the only thing going for it would probably be less turbo lag? The hybrid weights like a Q7 and as a cruiser wouldn't a S550 or E63 wagon be a better alternative? The Sport Turismo 4s is just so costly for what it is but the 4 E-Hybrid cost feels more justifiable with the lower cost and higher tech. In reality the non hybrid will probably has better resale so no cost savings either way making the decision more difficult.

This bring the standard Panamera 4 into question. If it's a heavy boat why care about hp and just get the cheapest? Then the argument comes when you add sports chrono and the E-Hybrid feels like better value again. Good luck on your decision, since if I can't figure it out I may buy something else altogether which is an option that Porsche marketing never considered.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:03 PM
Drivingoncords
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The ehybrid weights 600+ lbs more than the 4s. Thats the main reason I went with the 4s. I'm buying a porsche for the handling and driving experience and I was concerned the extra weight would be too excessive. Some of the reviews I've read also raised issues about weight.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:25 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the e-Hybrid also comes with Air Suspension as standard...so it's actually about £10k cheaper all-in. You can also APPARENTLY get the sports exhaust done as a retro fit in the near future so you'll get the quad pipes.

The weight is a risk but then I drove a 911 4S back to back with a Panamera 4S and obviously the 4S is considerably heavier. After 5 minutes with the Panamera you adapt your driving and it's amazing how flat to the road it is...so I assume that the difference between the 4S and the e-H will be the same, but to a lesser degree.

Wait 3 weeks and get some real reviews on here when hopefully we get our e-Hs!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:43 AM
XT6Wagon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in much the same boat on this topic, where on paper the E hybrid seems a more rational choice. For a daily driver 0-50 is more important than even 0-60. 1/4 mile is non-relevant. Handling? Feeling good is more important than the actual numbers for most users. If you were chasing the hard numbers 911 2S/4S/GTS is perhaps a better choice in this price range.

my main concerns are
Brake feel.
I have a GT350 right now and its brakes ruin you on normal cars. What is brushing the brake pedal is barely less stopping than most cars 1/2 way deep in the pedal. Will the E-Hybrid be worse than the 4S here? Why do you need to drop $10+K to get "full size" brakes on the 4S or E-hybrid? Why no steel turbo brakes? Only hybrid I've driven is a 2nd gen Prius and that felt completely horrible even at parking lot speeds. garbage feel, no consistency, sometimes just didn't work. Consistency is more important than raw braking power to me. Pedal feel is also secondary to consistency.

MPG.
What is the mpg advantage when used as a normal Hybrid without the plug in being used? When I go on longer trips I don't mind grinding out 12-24 hr days between proper stops. If its little better than the 4S away from an outlet....

Tuning
Can the E-hybrid be cranked up to the 4S on engine output since its the same motor or is there hardware differences? Can the DSG take it or is the Turbo/TurboS running around with upgraded components for the extra torque. If its a simple tune away from being between the Turbo and Turbo S in power to the ground, it makes it much more interesting given that should match the Turbo at low/moderate speed with a charged battery and run away from the 4S at all speeds. Would still prefer a 4L v8 but $50K is a ugly number to stare at for 2 cylinders.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:26 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently the delays were to fix the braking issue that people were noticing - so that is TBC. Drove the Cayenne eHybrid and the brakes on that were good 90% of the time. This is hopefully the next gen so will be 99% of the time.

Any Porsche has to stop from 60 in half the time it reaches 60. So the eHybrid is heavier and will have a more powerful system.

The eHybrid will coast on the Motorway if driven smoothly - so I think the MPG is up to how you drive...It's a Porsche, don't tune it : )

Quick Reply: 2018 4 E-Hybrid vs. 4S