Panamera 2010-Current

Share your impressions of the 2017/2018 Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default I do realize

As a Porsche driver for 50 years, owning 911s, 912s and Boxsters, I find the Panamera to be a completely different beast. I don't think Porsche designed the Panamera for me. Time will tell. (I replaced a MBZ CLS550 with the Panamera.)
I love my 993 Cabrio and my Boxster, bit I am still "acclimating" to my Panamera GTS (2013). I do recognize its great qualities, but.......
Old 06-07-2017, 06:13 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not a 911 - it is a great car for daily driving, transporting things and people. More stylish than an SUV, it does a lot. My sense is that it is a car that is meant to be a car - not meant to be a sports car. BTW, I came out of a S65.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

One way of thinking of it is a four seat/five door 911 ;-)

That's what mine is to me, anyway, coming from a 991.1 C2 :-)
Old 06-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by XTC
I have a 2017 Turbo pretty well optioned. Overall I do like the car very much, though I have some of the same issues others have mentioned.

The car definitely drives and performs better than the outgoing model (previously had a 2014 turbo), and has better functionality as well. I'm still somewhat undecided on which body style I like better overall, but I think the new rear styling is an improvement.

The main things I'm not thrilled with revolve around the electronics. Not sure if it is common with everyone, but in my car it seems to take an age for the central touch screen to "boot up." All I see for the first couple minutes after starting the car are the spinning icons on the home screen for all of the widgets. Until it's finished loading, I can't enter a nav destination or change any settings.

I've also had the same issues others reported with the navigation. I'll be driving along and everything is working great, then all of the sudden the nav thinks I'm off in a field somewhere and it takes several miles for it to figure out where I really am. I'm sure this will be fixed in an update at some point though.

I do like the look of the new console buttons (very clean and modern looking), but when the sun is shining at the right angle, the reflection off the surface prevents you from seeing what each one is unless you lean over the top of the console. Overall, I think I like the previous design for that reason even though it was a bit cluttered looking.

One feature I didn't order, that I now wish I had, was the auto closing doors. I love that the doors are so tight and close so solidly, but I can't count how many times I have had to reopen and close my door after getting in because I didn't slam it hard enough.

Many thanks to the previous poster who mentioned setting up the individual settings with the auto stop feature turned off. The 14 turbo I had stayed the way you left it, but the new one doesn't. This is much quicker than waiting for the screen to boot up to turn that off and turn the sport exhaust on. Very cool. I guess I really should get around to reading the manual
I had a '17 4S for two weeks without the soft close doors and traded it in for a new Turbo that I had originally spec'd out. Those doors are the most annoying thing in the world on the car, and by far the hardest doors to close. Either way both cars are amazing - I still think the 4S has a better exhaust note though.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:23 AM
ajriches01
Racer

You cannot beat the soft close, a little reminder every time you close the door that it's a premium product. Plus closing doors all the way is for chumps!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:58 PM
porshiok
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new 2017 Panamera 4 is a daily driver that replaced a 2015 S550 4MATIC. Wanted more spirited driving, but could not give up the convenience of a sedan (i.e., occasional family car). I wanted the 4S and test drove the 4S and the Turbo, but for the color and option combination I wanted to order, delivery would have been in November. I could not wait that long and was able to get a P4 that just arrived that someone wanted out of that had 90% of the build that I wanted (I need AWD where I live). That and they gave me a great deal off MSRP. After a few weeks of ownership, my thoughts are:

- I love the new body vs. the old Panamera, especially the rear profile. If you want "classic" Porsche looks, get a 911. The new Panamera feels less "chunky" and is "leaner," or as my wife says, "sleeker" than it's predecessor

- The interior is also far nicer vs. the prior Panamera. Porsche has always been about spartan/minimalist interiors, which is why people love them, but I feel that in a luxury sedan, they needed to step it up in terms of measured luxury and feel. People that are in the market to purchase sedans have different requirements than those in the market to purchase a 911. Go sit in a new S class or Maserati Quattroporte. They just feel luxurious without ever turning on the engine. I feel that P has remained loyal to their roots, as the Panamera does not have all the "gadgetry" of an Audi or Mercedes, but continues to take baby steps to upgrade the cabin feel, materials and aesthetic. When you sit in this cabin, you feel like it is worthy of the six figures you paid for it

- I have the Sport Chrono package, which is probably a must with the P4. Most of my driving is in Sport mode and Sport suspension, with minimal use of the Sport boost button and Launch Control. I have rarely used Sport Plus. I find even Normal mode to be "sportier" than my S550, and with the Normal suspension, it is smooth and comfortable enough for driving family around. When I am alone, it is almost always on Sport/Sport. The Sport boost button is fun when you are in full acceleration and want that extra kick. I have yet to drag race someone, so Launch Control has been reserved for times when I need to take someone off the line at the stop light. Even the Normal/Normal mode cannot compare to the smooth/butter drive of an S550, but that has never been the reason people buy a Porsche. As a daily driver, this is probably the perfect combo of sportiness and ride comfort in a sedan for me and exactly what I was looking for to replace the S550. I considered the Maserati Quattroporte S Q4, but did not like the interior aesthetic and feel as much as the new Panamera

- My heart was set on the 4S, but when I test drove the 4 vs. the 4S, I could not really perceive there was a 100+ difference in HP. The Turbo vs. the 4, yes, but not the 4S. If not for having to wait until November, I would have still purchased the 4S (only ~$10k more), but to be honest, in my daily driving, I have never once felt that the P4 was lacking in HP or torque. My weekend car will be a 991.2 (my next purchase), so I was not necessarily looking for a speed/track demon. I wanted balance between aggressiveness and comfort. Those of you that are looking for a sedan that needs to be more aggressive and sporty, get the Turbo, as the jump between the 4S and the 4 is not significant, in my opinion. Contrary to what some say about this being a 911 in a sedan's body, I feel that may be misleading. The Panamera will never be able to replicate the ride, exhaust, aggressiveness, handling and feel of a 911. It is a 4 door sports sedan, so you have to be realistic with your expectations

- Not sold on how the adaptive rear spoiler looks when fully deployed (it is big) and slightly prefer the two-tone look of the prior Panamera

- PDLS+ LED-Matrix lights are definitely the way to go. So bright and clear

- Fuel efficiency is nowhere near the 23 mpg they claim. I am averaging high teens, at best, and I am not driving it that hard (mix of city and highway)

- Not that I spend time in the rear seats, but the 4-Zone climate control and rear ambient lighting package give passengers a "luxe" treatment

- As others have mentioned, the soft close doors are money. I had them in my S550 and cannot imagine not having them in a sedan, or any future car, for that matter

- I actually like the new PCM/Nav/Porsche Connect Plus system. The previous gen PCM/Nav was "minimalist," outdated and completely inadequate vs. competition from MB, BMW, Maserati, Audi, etc. For example, in the previous generation PCM, I could not figure out how to integrate an Android phone into the audio system (seemed to only work with an iPhone/iPod). It takes some getting used to and I have not figured it all out yet, but it is better than prior models. Yes, the audio/nav takes 10 seconds to "boot up" when I start the car, which may be a pain if I was looking to drive off immediately, but then again, I usually give it about a 30 second warm up before I take off, so this has never been an issue for me. My S550 also had a few seconds of lag time before the COMMAND system booted up. My only gripe comes from the UI, which is a bit more difficult than the prior generation Porsche PCM (to be fair, the prior system was simple because the technology and features were dated). They should have included better/more steering wheel multi-function integration for the Nav and stereo so that you don't have to look at the screen all the time or play around with the console dial/button. No issues with the Nav yet, as other's have posted, but then again, I have not used it more than 10 times. Takes some getting used to and configuring, but all-in-all, an improvement

Happy to share more and help answer any questions, as this board/forum has been such a great resource to me over the years.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Thanks! Wonderful write up and much appreciated.
As noted earlier, I made the switch from an S65 to the Panamera Turbo. . .and agree with all of your conclusions!
Cheers
Jack
Old 06-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Welcome, Porshiok!

Great review and glad to hear that you are as happy with your new P4 as I am! I could not justify the 4S as over here the price difference is nearer to £20k.

I know where you're coming from when you say it's no 911, but when in Sport Plus mode it feels very nearly as lively as my previous Porsche, a 991.1 C2. :-)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:30 PM
porshiok
4th Gear

Thanks, Jonathan and Wing Commander! Happy to do my part in providing feedback and help on the Panamera to others in the future. I noticed that there is not as much information or exchange on the Panamera forums. Hopefully, this will change as more of us give the Panamera a chance. Loving the 2017 P4 so far and have no regrets. The ~$60k I saved vs. a Turbo will be applied towards my 991.2 =) Cheers!
Old 06-12-2017, 11:16 PM
gradyvillejb
AutoX

Porshiok, that's a very nice write-up. This is my first Porsche of any kind (2017, base, RWD), and I couldnt be happier with it. In fact, I like it more as each day passes. Plenty quick, very comfortable, beautiful looking )to me) and I'm up to speed on the PCM. Loving this car!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:55 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hi guys,

thanks for all your comments and interesting reviews, this means really a lot for guys like me, waiting for my first new Panamera 4 E Hybrid!

as said before, unfortunately there is not too much discussion going on about the Panamera, so hope that this is catching up from now on ;-)

will share my first impressions as well as soon I received the car and being able to share my experiences!

cheers hymo
Old 06-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by porshiok
Thanks, Jonathan and Wing Commander! Happy to do my part in providing feedback and help on the Panamera to others in the future. I noticed that there is not as much information or exchange on the Panamera forums. Hopefully, this will change as more of us give the Panamera a chance. Loving the 2017 P4 so far and have no regrets. The ~$60k I saved vs. a Turbo will be applied towards my 991.2 =) Cheers!
Lucky you being able to afford a new P4 and a 991.2! :-)

It was one or the other for me, and family circumstances dictated the Panamera. No doubt I will return to a two door Porsche sports car at some point in the future...
Old 06-14-2017, 01:16 AM
porshiok
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Lucky you being able to afford a new P4 and a 991.2! :-)

It was one or the other for me, and family circumstances dictated the Panamera. No doubt I will return to a two door Porsche sports car at some point in the future...
I actually had my heart set on a 991.2 C4GTS first, but my wife forced me to be "responsible" by replacing my S550 4MATIC with a similar family "sedan" first. The compromise we made was that she would let me get a pre-owned "weekend" 991.2 next year, when there is more supply, depreciation has kicked in a bit and you can get some better deals. I wholeheartedly agree that I am one lucky b@$tard.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Sounds like a great plan! Good luck and yes, I am jealous! I will have to work harder! :-)
Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM
HustleAllDay
5th Gear

For those complaining about the doors being hard to close, do you guys even lift? Time to hit the gym if you cant close a door lol

Quick Reply: Share your impressions of the 2017/2018 Panamera