Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

2017 Bose vs. Burmeister - LISTEN before ordering

Old 09-13-2017, 04:35 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bose on the Panamera is very good. Much sharper than BMW Harmon Kardon and the best stereo in any car that I have owned (including Audi B&O). But, I have had a loaner with the Burmeister and that is simply stunning. Sadly though, it would only be appreciated by me, when driving alone so the volume can come up. This happens rarely - so could not justify the £5k delta. If you have the cash, you won't regret it. If you don't, you won't regret it either!!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:48 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ajriches01
Bose on the Panamera is very good. Much sharper than BMW Harmon Kardon and the best stereo in any car that I have owned (including Audi B&O). But, I have had a loaner with the Burmeister and that is simply stunning. Sadly though, it would only be appreciated by me, when driving alone so the volume can come up. This happens rarely - so could not justify the £5k delta. If you have the cash, you won't regret it. If you don't, you won't regret it either!!
Lol, I know what you mean loud when alone. The stereo is car specific and just talking Panamera I was impressed by the 2017 Bose loaner car. It sounds similar to my Bose in my Macan GTS but improved a notch. I'm glad you listened to the 2017+ Burmeister and able to compare and thanks for your opinion. I'll pass this time and put in extra $$ toward the next toy car.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:33 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

Burmeister is worth it over the Bose.........precise sound..........in a 911 cabin
Old 11-03-2018, 04:42 PM
dwwalker14335
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the sound on the Bose, in default settings, is not very good and sounds somewhat muddled with poor audio separation and flat tones. That aside, I have found less of a delta in experience between the Burmester and the standard Bose when the latter is properly set up with Surround and in linear mode. I am not sure why this is not a default setting but, perhaps, it is a way to show a bigger difference while the cars are in the showroom?

Last edited by dwwalker14335; 11-03-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Captain Obvious
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwwalker14335
I think the sound on the Bose, in default settings, is not very good and sounds somewhat muddled with poor audio separation and flat tones. That aside, I have found less of a delta in experience between the Burmester and the standard Bose when the latter is properly set up with Surround and in linear mode. I am not sure why this is not a default setting but, perhaps, it is a way to show a bigger difference while the cars at in the showroom?
dwwalker, do you mind sharing your settings? I have been playing around with them trying to get it just right. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:39 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 40 Posts

I had the highest end Bose in my Cayenne turbo.
Was not planning on, but got Burmester in my Panamera turbo.
IMO, the Busmester sound is better, richer, better dynamic range and no distortion at very loud levels. Burmester will make you feel the base thump inside your chest. I am glad I have it.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:04 PM
dwwalker14335
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
dwwalker, do you mind sharing your settings? I have been playing around with them trying to get it just right. Thanks.
My settings
  • Surround sound enabled, Audiopilot enabled
  • Bass +2, Treble +1
  • Hit options tab, select Linear mode
You will have to set it per source, as well.
The following users liked this post:
bushtucker_kwe (03-26-2022)
Old 11-04-2018, 06:01 PM
Captain Obvious
Track Day

thanks
Old 11-04-2018, 06:27 PM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ciaka
I had the highest end Bose in my Cayenne turbo.
Was not planning on, but got Burmester in my Panamera turbo.
IMO, the Busmester sound is better, richer, better dynamic range and no distortion at very loud levels. Burmester will make you feel the base thump inside your chest. I am glad I have it.
I only have the BOSE in my Panamera and it's already above anything I had in any car. However a friend has the Burmester in his Panamera and that's indeed one level above.

As mentioned above in this thread: the Burmester comes with better sound (and heat) insulated windows and that makes a huge difference too IMHO.

My next Panamera shall have the Burmester for sure;
Old 11-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Fulwild
Rennlist Member

I listen to more music in my car than I do at home. My home stereo costs the same as the Porsche Burmester system in my 2010 panamera turbo. My home system sounds much better if I’m just listening with no one else home. I get much more uninterrupted listening in my car and have enjoyed listening to music to a far greater extent after buying my PTT w/ Burmester. Before kids I spent a lot of time listening to music both live and reproduced and am familiar with high end music reproduction. The burmester system has allowed me to enjoy music in a way that I never felt in other cars. I had an extended time with a new cayenne with the Bose system and found no magic. FWIW I listen to uncompressed files (Tidal downloads and CD rips) thru a iPhone X connected by USB. If your preferred sources are sat or mp3 or you listen through Bluetooth there is probably not as much advantage to the Burmester system. I think at this point lack of Burmester would be a dealbreaker for my daily driver. You don’t have to lose time during cruise time. The Panamera is a sport touring car, the Burmester fits perfectly.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:47 PM
CaptainAmer
Rennlist Member

What color are the Burmester speakers? Does the color vary by interior color? For instance, if you have a black interior, what color are the speakers?
Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAmer
What color are the Burmester speakers? Does the color vary by interior color? For instance, if you have a black interior, what color are the speakers?
exquisite silver speaker covers ...
Old 11-29-2018, 10:44 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 40 Posts

Burmester speakers:

Locations

Old 12-03-2018, 11:33 AM
martinced
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

As an audio cracknut I'm not surprised people mentioning the Burmester winning hands down. Also I don't know if it's the case for Porsche but for several brands BOSE does actually manufacture the default audio install but it's not labelled "BOSE": then if you pay $$$ you get x additional speakers and the BOSE badge but... So the base audio is already BOSE, except without the badge.

Does anyone know if it's the case for Porsche's stock audio that it's actually a non-badged BOSE install?
Old 12-03-2018, 12:18 PM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, but the Bose system is great. Much better than BMW HK system, and the cost benefit analysis works nicely for me. Only keeping cars 3/4 years, spending that much on a stereo never made sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Bose vs. Burmeister - LISTEN before ordering