Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Battery only charges in Sport or Sport Plus modes??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:26 AM
Zootown Pepper
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery only charges in Sport or Sport Plus modes??

Hello all. I just bought a 2011 Panamera Turbo two weeks ago. I drove the car home 550 miles. No problems whatsoever. Two days later I am driving to work and all hell breaks loose on the dash. Check engine, PSM fault, transmission fault lights all come on. The engine starts running poorly and shifting is messed up. Long pause then it kicks in to gear.

Short version. Faults cleared numerous times. Started with a new battery for good measure no help. Took it to my closest dealer 200 mi. Away. Ugh. They tell me it's a bad coil. I have them replace all coils and things seem to be great so I go home.

Now I noticed that when I have it in drive alone I drop down to 12.4V. When I am in drive but select sport or sport plus voltage climbs up to 14.7V immediately. De-select either and go back to normal my voltage drops again down to 12.4v. No lights or codes just low voltage.

The car only has 17k miles. First two weeks have certainly been a love hate. Anyone ever hear of this? This is a hell of a way to introduce myself to the forum. Any information would be so greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Zootown Pepper; 03-15-2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Posted mid sentence.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 2010 4S new and after about a year the computer went absolutely bonkers accusing me of all sorts of misdeeds. The dealer said that the resident software needed an update, they did that and the weird problems went away. I would suggest that you check to see if your software is the most up to date version.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:57 PM
Zootown Pepper
2nd Gear

I'd like to think the tech would have checked that while he was connected during the diagnostic. Maybe that isn't standard practice. I would be happy with something as simple as an update being the solution.
Thank you for the feedback!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:07 AM
Fulwild
Rennlist Member

Check your battery build date. It’s stamped into the the top of one of the terminals. I have a 2010 and was getting weird error messages in Jan 2018.. Battery checked out fine but It was from 2010. I figured 8 years was all I could expect from a battery and with winter temps and all I replaced it with an AGM battery from autozone. My Mechanic says he always uses Porsche but P battery was $450 vs $190. There is a code on the battery (number and QR) that you are supposed to enter into the cars computer system to tell the car how to charge the battery. Supposedly if you don’t reset it with your new battery, the car , thinking it’s an old battery , will overcharge it shortening its life. Who knows. I gave my mechanic the number and he said he reset it.

Anyway new battery solved the weird errors which related to PASM and charging. Car seemed happier.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:38 PM
GTMSJ
2nd Gear

I found this thread as I'm attempting to trouble-shoot a similar issue. The digital pod on my 2011 Panamera 4S has intermittently shown a set of vertical, rainbow-colored striations. These disappear after driving for a bit, and the pod goes black. After a few more minutes, the pod comes back to life with all of the data displayed correctly. Could this simply be the battery going bad? I hope that it's that simple! It seems that I had the battery changed about 3 years ago at the dealer. I need to check if it's under warranty...fingers crossed as it was $600, a lot more than I've ever paid for a battery for any of my other vehicles.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:46 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

that sounds more like a LCD or driver issue
Old 03-22-2019, 04:48 PM
GTMSJ
2nd Gear

I'll pass along all suggestions to my mechanic and post whatever he finds.

Quick Reply: Battery only charges in Sport or Sport Plus modes??