Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Cross shopping a Panny SEH with a Cayenne SEH (odd I know)

Old 08-19-2016, 03:26 AM
mdosu
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Cross shopping a Panny SEH with a Cayenne SEH (odd I know)

Hey everyone. So I'm looking to buy a preowned 2014 Panamera S E-Hybrid

I have a few questions and also seeing if it's absurd to cross shop it with a '15 Cayenne SEH.

Questions:
1. Does the Panny come with the 4-bulb LED DRLs as standard equipment? I don't need PLDS to get the 4-bulb LEDs right?

2. were 2014s offered with a the 7.2 kWH onboard charger as an option? Or it was a option for 2015+ cars?

Background:
I own a '08 BMW M3 (V8 414 HP, 3600 lb car) and a '12 BMW X5 Diesel. For a while I was set on a '15 Cayenne SEH to replace my M3. I know, they're two completely different cars, but I think I'm done with the sports car thing for a while now.

After thinking about it, I think a Panny is more in line of what I'm likely going to want. The X5 will stay, so that's going to be the family hauler and road tripping car. But the more I think about it, I think I'm going to want a car experience than an SUV experience.

I only test drove the Cayenne SEH, the power delivery was fantastic, but I can't get over the 5000+lb weight, though I can barely feel it that much heavier than a 4500 lb 300 HP SUV (current X5 I test drove for a week).

Question:
I know I'm in a Panny forum, so I know the answers will be bias, but will I regret getting a Cayenne over a Panny? I'm actually leaning towards a Panny SEH right now though. I think I want a slightly lighter, GT cruiser that feels sportier than a tall heavy SUV, but I'm not sure if I'll be happy with a car that's another 1000 lbs heavier than my M3. I'm only hesitant b/c when the Panny originally came out, I had a strong bias against the concept (similar to the revolt with P-car fans when the Cayenne was introduced). Of course, after owning a bigger car (the X5) I am sold on the sport SUV concept, just not sure if i'll be sold on a large sedan.

This will be a DD, 25 round trip miles, 70/30 city/highway commute, plus some weekend urban family hauling due to the hybrid efficiency.

Does anyone regret buying your Panny? (I know a lot SEH owners are cross shopping with a Telsa, but I am not buying a Tesla...)

Last edited by mdosu; 08-19-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:54 AM
p4s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both and prefer the panamera for most things. He cayenne is great, but it's relatively similar to other SUVs. The panamera always feels special and with the lower center of gravity enjoys better dynamics.

Can't go wrong either way - both great.

Good luck
Old 08-19-2016, 08:00 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I was looking at cars one day with intentions of trading in my 911 for the cayenne. I was with the wife and started looking and she immediately said that an SUV wasn t me and pointed to the Pana that I took home a few hours later after a test ride. No regrets. Agree with P4S, both great vehicles.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:57 AM
mdosu
Instructor

Oh wow, I am starting to feel the same way. Sounds like a test drive will definitely solve this dilemma for me. Thanks for your inputs
Old 08-19-2016, 04:54 PM
mdosu
Instructor

Test drove the Panamera S E-Hybrid today...decision is made...that's the car. It's distinctively Porsche. I wouldn't say it's close to a 911 experience, but it feels and sounds and drives like a Porsche. Now the hunt begins.

Not sure if someone can confirm, but I was able to retrieve a 2014 MY booklet and it appears the 7.2 kWh charger was not an option in this model year.
Can someone comfirm though that the "Bi-Xenon" headlights do have the 4 point LED DRLs? Basically, I don't need PLDS, correct?

Old 08-21-2016, 02:53 AM
nvarga
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2015 e-hybrid and I have 4 point LEDs.
My lights are PDLS - there are also PDLS plus which look different and also have 4 leds as daylight.

Not sure for basic lights.

EDIT:
found this in catalogue:

Lighting concept.
A standard feature of the Panamera
Turbo is the LED main headlights
including Porsche Dynamic Light System
(PDLS). More details on LED main
headlights can be found on the following
double-page spread.
The other Panamera models are
equipped, as standard, with Bi-Xenon
main headlights, including integrated
daytime running lights, each with four
LED spotlights. Porsche Dynamic Light
System (PDLS) is included for the
Panamera GTS. The headlight units can
also be finished in black.
Automatic headlight activation is
standard in all models and switches
the lights on automatically when it starts
to get dark, and switches them off
automatically too. The ‘Welcome Home’
function switches on the daytime running
lights and the taillights for a user-defined
period, for example to light the way to
your front door.
Adaptive LED brake lights are fitted as
standard and pulsate in the event of panic
braking, thereby alerting following traffic
more quickly to a critical situation.

Last edited by nvarga; 08-21-2016 at 04:05 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Jafetica888
Advanced

Originally Posted by p4s
I have both and prefer the panamera for most things. He cayenne is great, but it's relatively similar to other SUVs. The panamera always feels special and with the lower center of gravity enjoys better dynamics. Can't go wrong either way - both great. Good luck

Same here and couldn't agree more...
Old 08-21-2016, 05:46 PM
Jafetica888
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdosu
Hey everyone. So I'm looking to buy a preowned 2014 Panamera S E-Hybrid I have a few questions and also seeing if it's absurd to cross shop it with a '15 Cayenne SEH. Questions: 1. Does the Panny come with the 4-bulb LED DRLs as standard equipment? I don't need PLDS to get the 4-bulb LEDs right? 2. were 2014s offered with a the 7.2 kWH onboard charger as an option? Or it was a option for 2015+ cars? Background: I own a '08 BMW M3 (V8 414 HP, 3600 lb car) and a '12 BMW X5 Diesel. For a while I was set on a '15 Cayenne SEH to replace my M3. I know, they're two completely different cars, but I think I'm done with the sports car thing for a while now. After thinking about it, I think a Panny is more in line of what I'm likely going to want. The X5 will stay, so that's going to be the family hauler and road tripping car. But the more I think about it, I think I'm going to want a car experience than an SUV experience. I only test drove the Cayenne SEH, the power delivery was fantastic, but I can't get over the 5000+lb weight, though I can barely feel it that much heavier than a 4500 lb 300 HP SUV (current X5 I test drove for a week). Question: I know I'm in a Panny forum, so I know the answers will be bias, but will I regret getting a Cayenne over a Panny? I'm actually leaning towards a Panny SEH right now though. I think I want a slightly lighter, GT cruiser that feels sportier than a tall heavy SUV, but I'm not sure if I'll be happy with a car that's another 1000 lbs heavier than my M3. I'm only hesitant b/c when the Panny originally came out, I had a strong bias against the concept (similar to the revolt with P-car fans when the Cayenne was introduced). Of course, after owning a bigger car (the X5) I am sold on the sport SUV concept, just not sure if i'll be sold on a large sedan. This will be a DD, 25 round trip miles, 70/30 city/highway commute, plus some weekend urban family hauling due to the hybrid efficiency. Does anyone regret buying your Panny? (I know a lot SEH owners are cross shopping with a Telsa, but I am not buying a Tesla...)

You won't miss your M3 if you buy a Panamera. The E Hybrid might not exactly drive circles around it (get a Turbo to GTS for that), but it is very capable and not really slow.
Don't think having both X5 and Cayenne makes much sense
Old 08-21-2016, 10:45 PM
mdosu
Instructor

Originally Posted by nvarga
I have 2015 e-hybrid and I have 4 point LEDs.
My lights are PDLS - there are also PDLS plus which look different and also have 4 leds as daylight.

Not sure for basic lights.

EDIT:
found this in catalogue:

Lighting concept.
A standard feature of the Panamera
Turbo is the LED main headlights
including Porsche Dynamic Light System
(PDLS). More details on LED main
headlights can be found on the following
double-page spread.
The other Panamera models are
equipped, as standard, with Bi-Xenon
main headlights, including integrated
daytime running lights, each with four
LED spotlights. Porsche Dynamic Light
System (PDLS) is included for the
Panamera GTS. The headlight units can
also be finished in black.
Automatic headlight activation is
standard in all models and switches
the lights on automatically when it starts
to get dark, and switches them off
automatically too. The ‘Welcome Home’
function switches on the daytime running
lights and the taillights for a user-defined
period, for example to light the way to
your front door.
Adaptive LED brake lights are fitted as
standard and pulsate in the event of panic
braking, thereby alerting following traffic
more quickly to a critical situation.
Yes, thanks for this confirmation. I also found the wording in the brochure. The S, GTS, Turbo and S E-Hybrid comes with the 4 light DRLs and PDLS.

The LEDs are PDLS +, an option.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:12 AM
mdosu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jafetica888
You won't miss your M3 if you buy a Panamera. The E Hybrid might not exactly drive circles around it (get a Turbo to GTS for that), but it is very capable and not really slow.
Don't think having both X5 and Cayenne makes much sense
Haha, thanks for the confirmation. That's the same thought I have. I don't need 2 SUVs, and when I buy a Porsche, I want that full Porsche driving dynamic and that Cayenne didn't have that feeling.

I have conceded that the S E-Hybrid will not be a sports car like my M3, but is more of a fast GT car, heavy on the tech side. That's what I'm after anyways. I can always jump back into an M3 or other true sports car (Viper or Corvette) 5 years down the line.

The Panamera SEH did not feel slow. I believe it turns a 13.8 quarter mile and 5.2 0-60. It basically matches straight line speed of my first car after college (Evo 8). It won't be nimble but I wouldn't be doing track days.

And with air suspension, PASM, and sport throttle plus the unique electric boost, it'llbe plenty quick for a 4600 lb beast. I just hope I don't feel all the weight. I recall going from my Evo 8 (3100 lbs) to the M3 (3600 lbs), I did yearn for some weight savings, but the M3 made it up with 140 more HP. I just don't know how I'll feel about going now to 4600 lbs and not getting a HP bump over my M3.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:29 PM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdosu
Test drove the Panamera S E-Hybrid today...decision is made...that's the car. It's distinctively Porsche. I wouldn't say it's close to a 911 experience, but it feels and sounds and drives like a Porsche. Now the hunt begins.

Not sure if someone can confirm, but I was able to retrieve a 2014 MY booklet and it appears the 7.2 kWh charger was not an option in this model year.
Can someone comfirm though that the "Bi-Xenon" headlights do have the 4 point LED DRLs? Basically, I don't need PLDS, correct?

Did you actually buy this car??

Is this the same car, just different wheels?? Same shop for sure, just several months later...

I'm thinking of trading my wife's Audi A6 for a used E-hybrid.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cross shopping a Panny SEH with a Cayenne SEH (odd I know)