Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera 4S or e-Hybrid?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

Autoweek just reviewed new e hybrid and says no reason to get 4s over it. I agree. New hybrid fixed all the old ones issues. now has dct and awd. they say the e motor makes it more involving than the std 4s. Same pricing too I think. No brainer
Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Check out the full video review of the E-Hybrid on Autogefuhl if you haven't seen it yet. Very informative.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

depending on your daily commute....

I think i would lean towards the E-hybrid.
In the city during the week i tend to run around in short stints throughout the day... so running full electric each day would be great. Quiet and no fuel.
On the weekend it is drive to the mountians on the twisties so gas motor would be the norm.

HOV lane access and electric car parking would be a bonus.

Charging station at my residience would be the only question.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Rossww
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 4S should be in around Mid-May, and I wished I waited for the E-Hybrid.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:45 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm probably going to order a e-Hybrid wagon. The other car in the running still is the 530e, with obviously a much lower price of entry.

My wife decided to switch her Macan Turbo out for an i3 so we have a charging station installed at home. I think the total cost was just under $2k including installing a new 240V circuit.

Once you've spent the money, plug-ins just make the most sense.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:21 PM
ascpcwiz
7th Gear

Testdrove a brand new Panny 4S today. I have to admit it's a beautiful car, but the turbo lag is noticable. I think I may want to wait for the e-hybrid and test drive before I pull the trigger. I'd like to see if the electric components of the e-hybrid allow for greater torque at the low RPM's and decreased lag.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm interested in the E-Hybrid wagon. I also drove the 4s and the red light and go is annoying just like my Macan GTS which I may trade up. I would think if Porsche go old school normally aspirated it is much more simpler than going hybrid. Oh well...
Old 03-29-2017, 11:38 PM
XT6Wagon
Intermediate

I think they are relying on the "push to pass" sport response bit of the sport chrono package to make it feel sporty. That way in normal mode it can loaf along in a high gear low rpm, being unresponsive to the throttle for maximum MPG and minimum emissions, but when you go to pass you poke the button and bamn, aggressive gear, aggressive throttle map, pre-spooled turbos.

Its my opinion the selector **** should be stock given the better usability of the car. less futzing with dives into buried menus, more enjoying the car.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:37 PM
gtr
Racer

Wait so is the E-Hybrid as fast as the standard car or as fast as the 4s? I didn't realize the hybrid added so much weight.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:56 PM
XT6Wagon
Intermediate

The E Hybrid is rated as slightly slower than the 4S in standard trim, 4.4 vs 4.3s 0-60. It is however cheaper, and has sport chrono standard.

I haven't seen any 1/4 mile comparisons to know where the difference is at speed vs from a stop.

Also like to know 19" vs 20" in this case since the 19" has narrower tires so less grip coupled with less drag.

edit: went to play with the E hybrid Sport Turismo configurator and its listing 4.0 0-60 ?!?!?!?!?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:51 PM
gtr
Racer

I hate putting gas on nicer cars. Maybe I'll sport this super luxury Prius.

I just have so many question like what happens when you never plug it in and battery is drained? Would sport plus mode put you at 330hp max? Or the battery blows up from over discharging? I wonder what is the warrantee on the battery and how much to replace?

Depending on the answers maybe the standard or 4s is the way to go? Tough choice between the two.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:32 AM
XT6Wagon
Intermediate

I can't find it right now, but Porsche has a video on youtube detailing all the E hybrid modes. It comes with the sport chrono as they want you to have easy access to the major modes by the dial on the steering wheel.

It works out that the Panamera E Hybrid is designed to be completely independent of plug in usage.

There is a mode that holds the charge at whatever its at so if you are highway cruising and headed into a city, you can save the stored power for that.

There is a mode to charge the battery from the gas motor, again in case of future desire.

There is a normal hybrid mode.

I think there is a electric only mode, but I'm fuzzy on that.

Then in Sport and Sport + it will make a priority to keeping the battery topped off in case you want that extra 130 electric HP at any time in the future.

As far as battery life goes, The panamera battery pack is liquid cooled, and all car makers don't use the part of the "real" capacity of the battery that can damage the lifespan in a meaningful way. This means that at "0" battery as far as the car is concerned you haven't taken it into the deep discharge area that messes up batteries. They also don't charge to the bleeding edge of capacity as that can also damage them.

No car maker wants to warranty a battery pack as its insanely expensive, so they are very conservative in this regard.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:23 PM
wmfrog
AutoX

Default Battery warranty

Originally Posted by gtr
I hate putting gas on nicer cars. Maybe I'll sport this super luxury Prius.

I just have so many question like what happens when you never plug it in and battery is drained? Would sport plus mode put you at 330hp max? Or the battery blows up from over discharging? I wonder what is the warrantee on the battery and how much to replace?

Depending on the answers maybe the standard or 4s is the way to go? Tough choice between the two.
My dealer says the battery warranty is 7 years or 70K miles.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:27 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XT6Wagon

There is a mode that holds the charge at whatever its at so if you are highway cruising and headed into a city, you can save the stored power for that.
Good write-up in general.

As for the quote, in my 2015, there is no such thing. It seems to me that this would be unnecessary because when you are on the highway headed into the city, you can put it in e-Charge mode, which charges up your battery quite quickly.

This car is already ridiculously complicated (and possibly scary $$$$ long-term) to have the feature you describe.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:44 PM
XT6Wagon
Intermediate

Its all programming, I'm pretty sure most people will just use it as a straight hybrid with plug in ability without playing with any of the specialty modes.

The Inno Drive option is going to be popular I think with the people who often use the car in longer drives with mixed conditions since it can plan engine vs electric well ahead of your current position. Should be the best adaptive cruise control on the market, and maximize the MPG without fiddling with the different modes yourself.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4S or e-Hybrid?!?