High Performance Panamera Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 02:55 PM
twinturbowagon
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default High Performance Panamera Headlights

Hey guys,

I wanted to share a recent headlight project I did for a friend on his 2012 Panamera S (Non-PDLS). He wanted better headlights and left the details up to me, here is what I whipped up.

In terms of styling, for me less is more: clean>busy, subtle>flashy, function>form.

The 970 HID headlights are pretty basic in their layout, on the non PDLS headlights there is just a bi-xenon (low + high) projector and a "high beam assist" halogen reflector. PDLS headlights offer a static cornering light and a more elaborate HID projector which will swivel right and left with steering inputs.

Build Specs
- Morimoto D2S 4.0 Bi-Xenon Projectors
- Custom "J" Shield Modification
- Black "Demon Eye"
- Morimoto D2S bulbs
- OEM Valeo D1S-D2S Igniter/Adapters
- Aftermarket "Panamera" Projector Shrouds
- LEDs Removed
- Frosted Acrylic
- Low Gloss Black Bezel and Shroud Paint

The headlights found on the GTS/Turbo feature a black bezel but the projector shroud is left chrome and IMO it sticks out like a sore thumb so I completed the black-out look by painting the shroud, the chrome "high beam assist" bowl was left chrome as to not kill function although to be quite honest it's output wouldn't be missed with the performance of the high beam on the Morimoto D2S projector.

The projector was hand sanded and received a custom "J" -step shield design, the original shield had a very tall step which limited a some light output, the shape of the J is also very pleasant to look at, function + form! The "demon eye" is when the front portion of the projector shield is painted, the end result is when viewing the projector at certain angles, the projector lens will appear that color. In this case with it being painted black, the projector lens is less noticeable and blends in with the black bezel paint. Conversely if the projector was given a white demon eye it the projector lens would look white at some angles and the contrast would make the projector lens really "pop."

The oem HID projector is made by Hella and is commonly referred to as the "e55" projector as it was originally fitted to the W211 Mercedes E55 AMG, the same projector is found on some other European vehicles. It is a "good" projector but there is much that can be improved.

The oem projector's strengths include a good "hot-spot" (on center intensity for distance) and relatively smooth light output. The D2S 4.0 has a larger hot spot, better width, more even light distribution, a sharper and flatter cutoff, and an incredible high beam. The oem ballast has the control module integrated into the ballast so replacing it wasn't an option which is fine as it performs really well! New D2S 5,500k bulbs rounded out the upgraded components.

I ran out of daylight so there is only 1 mediocre photo with the headlights installed on the car, the media representative at Boden Autohaus will take some photos in the near future.

I ran out of daylight when installing the lights so my apologies for the single mediocre of them installed on the car, the media representative at Boden Autohaus will be taking some photos in the near future.

Enough talking here are the pics,
Evan

The Panamera in question, it was at Boden for Vorsteiner wheels, suspension work, and painted calipers.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:37 PM
Daniel5691
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 140 Posts

This is actually very nice in several different ways.
1) The craftsmanship is obvious, and excellent-appearing.
2) The upgrade definitely improves the cosmetics of the front end. Nice.
3) The light output...... wow.....

Congratulations.
I do have a very stupid question... forgive my ignorance here... is this "plug-and-play"? could somebody order this "set" from you and install it fairly easily?
Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:47 AM
twinturbowagon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Daniel5691
I do have a very stupid question... forgive my ignorance here... is this "plug-and-play"? could somebody order this "set" from you and install it fairly easily?
Thanks for taking the time to post this.
All the modifications made to this headlight are internal so yes, the headlights are completely Plug-n-Play and retain all factory functions, they just look and perform much better.

Evan
Old 12-19-2016, 08:35 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

Very trick!!!

Nice work. How much would u charge to do a 2010 turbo Panno? with the 4 oem LEDS functioning ?

Thanks Rich

Last edited by RDS928S; 12-19-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:40 PM
twinturbowagon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Very trick!!!

Nice work. How much would u charge to do a 2010 turbo Panno? with the 4 oem LEDS functioning ?
Thanks, I will have to confirm aftermarket shroud fitment on the oem LED DRL array. The oem shroud is actually a single piece of plastic so the process of stripping, sanding, taping, painting, taping, and frosting would be a small nightmare and a TON of labor for what it is, conversely the aftermarket shrouds can be disassembled into 2 pieces which makes the process much more manageable.

Functionally they are the same, aesthetically the oem shrouds have square "windows" over the LEDs where the aftermarket shrouds have circles.

Evan
Old 12-21-2016, 09:28 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

ok Evan,

thxs.

the aftermarket shrouds would be just fine in all blk.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. About how long did it take you? It appears that you've done this before? difference in time between someone experienced and a noob?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:34 PM
twinturbowagon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by clsund1
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. About how long did it take you? It appears that you've done this before? difference in time between someone experienced and a noob?
Sorry for the oversight on this. Working inside headlights takes a lot of particular knowledge for the process to go smoothly. If it goes smoothly for a beginner is really dependent on your background, your patience, and most problem solving skills so I can't really make any estimates on how you would do since I know nothing about you. lol

If you are inclined to do it yourself leverage Google, do a tone of research, make sure you have the right tools, and be patient with the project since mistakes with headlights can be very expensive.

Evan
Old 07-25-2017, 09:33 PM
JB's GTS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, what craftsmanship! they look awesome... do you/can you mod headlights for others? I have a 2013 GTS with PDLS.

Cheers,
Old 07-26-2017, 10:22 AM
twinturbowagon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JB's GTS
Wow, what craftsmanship! they look awesome... do you/can you mod headlights for others? I have a 2013 GTS with PDLS.

Cheers,
I can do many things to many headlights
My specialties are BMW and Tesla Model S but I like the improvements I am seeing with the Porsche headlights I am working on and the P-car owners seem to be more responsive to my function-forward approach to modifications where the BMW guys are more focused on aesthetics.

I would need to take a closer look at your headlights to confirm what projector is in there, if it is the "base" projector then options would be smililar to what is in this post. If it is the projector similar to what is found in the Turbo (PDLS+?) then it is a more elaborate system and replacing the stock projector might create some additional hurdles.

If by chance you were referring to a different vehicle all together then let me know what other car you were considering.

Evan

Quick Reply: High Performance Panamera Headlights