2017 Panamera Turbo options -- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:50 AM
TAmes
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Panamera Turbo options -- need advice

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and new to Porsche after driving BMWs for my entire adult life.

I'm placing an order for a Panamera Turbo, and I'm frankly bewildered by the seemingly endless array of both cosmetic- and performance-oriented options.

I would greatly appreciate this board's input on "must-have" options (both cosmetic and functional).

Here are the specs that I've zeroed in on so far:

* sapphire blue exterior
* 911 turbo-design wheels
* black/chalk interior
* park assist
* window trim and air outlet grilles painted in black

Regarding the performance options, I simply don't know enough about even simple options (power steering plus? black exhaust pipes to match the window trim?) or more complex options (PDCC sport? rear axle steering? sport chrono package?)

Thanks in advance -- I appreciate any advice!

-TA
Old 12-15-2016, 02:34 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by 81911; 03-09-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:45 AM
Racer

Last edited by 81911; 03-09-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:55 AM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, the car is big and the older style had lots of blind spots - so I went with the Lane Change Assist.

For PDCC - I am not tracking, so I passed on this..

There are a number of options associated to the back seats - 4 way climate, heated/cooled seats, etc that if you are planning on having fairly regular passengers back there..you should consider.

You are right - there are tons of options on Porsches!
Old 12-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Racer

I highly recommend soft close doors on this new car also. The door panel handle is very far forward and makes it more challengeing to close the doors.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:19 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Thermal/noise-insulating glass is a great addition and I strongly agree about LCA. I'm really glad I added PDCC, the car is absolutely flat around everyday curves, such as cloverleaf freeway exits. People and objects in the car don't fly around no matter how fast you take them. The rear steering seems worth looking into.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:58 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

i also recommend PDCC. As mentioned above, it helps cornering but also, when not cornering, it allows the suspension to work independently by reducing the connection between the left and right wheels. That smooths out the ride on bumpy roads.
I consider LCA essential given the poor visibility.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:25 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

OP, purchasing a custom build Porsche for the first time is a daunting process. When I bought my first 911 over 15 years ago, I spent hours with a salesperson who dedicated his time to teaching me about every line item both performance and cosmetic related. We walked back and forth to cars in the showroom and lot as he pointed out various options. It was a fun and very educational process. You need to find the right (knowledgeable) person and it does take time, but any Porsche is a significant purchase, so it's worth the effort imo. I'd recommend that you do the same thing and then come back to the forum and ask for feedback. fwiw, I spec'd almost 30 optional items on my most recent 911 custom order.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:13 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Most options are personal things, however on my several Panameras the only musts were:
1. LCA - huge blind spots; obviously thats an unknown for new model
2. back up camara - assume this is standard now?
3. upgraded stereo - base stereo was almost intolerable for anything but talk radio

Rest was just personal. I would never have a Porsche without Sport Exhaust, and Chrono Sport. Oh wait, I lied - my incoming GT3 RS doesn't have that!

Enjoy the dizzying process of building a Porsche! And the agony of changing your mind seemingly daily!
Old 12-17-2016, 01:21 AM
TAmes
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 81911
Here's a quick build. I added the options that have blown me away and that truly add to the full experience of the car. I did not simply check all boxes as I did leave some nice options out. If you want to add PDCC with PTV+, I think it would handle even better. Necessary? Depending on your use, most likely not. Same with Burmeister. I love it but I'm not sure if you will see the benefit or will use it as designed.
With all that said, try this code and tell me what you think. I also do not know if you are trying to stick to a budget of sort either, so I can adjust as necessary.

Here is the code: PHJBYZI8

Hope you like it!
-Gene
Gene, thank you so much for taking the time to put together a build -- I really appreciate it!

Some comments/questions:

1) Re: the LED matrix headlights, are these limited in functionality in the US?
2) Appreciate the comments on LCA (due to visibility issues) and soft-close doors. I wouldn't have thought to spec those options in, and obviously ordering the Premium Package Plus and the Sport Package makes things easier.
3) I had thought about carbon fiber trim in the interior (haven't seen this in the Panamera before, but love what it looks like in the RS7 and assume it will look similar in the Panamera).

Re: any budgetary constraints, as I imagine is the case with many on this board, I don't really have any. However, I don't want to order any options that I won't use or notice during the course of my owning the car.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm going to put some more thought into your build!

Best,

TWA
Old 12-17-2016, 01:28 AM
TAmes
4th Gear

Originally Posted by hinckley
OP, purchasing a custom build Porsche for the first time is a daunting process. When I bought my first 911 over 15 years ago, I spent hours with a salesperson who dedicated his time to teaching me about every line item both performance and cosmetic related. We walked back and forth to cars in the showroom and lot as he pointed out various options. It was a fun and very educational process. You need to find the right (knowledgeable) person and it does take time, but any Porsche is a significant purchase, so it's worth the effort imo. I'd recommend that you do the same thing and then come back to the forum and ask for feedback. fwiw, I spec'd almost 30 optional items on my most recent 911 custom order.
This is a great suggestion. I like the way you described the process as being both educational and fun (which is not how I would describe my past experiences with BMW salespeople!) I live in the SF Bay Area and would appreciate any recommendations from board members re: a good, experienced salesperson.

-TWA
Old 12-17-2016, 01:42 AM
TAmes
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 81911
Hi TAmes,

First off, Congratulations! The car is absolutely spectacular!

As a salesman and enthusiast, this car is truly the best of both worlds.

There are over 800,000 combinations you can create with the car, you are correct that it can be a little challenging. Your car will be a beautiful spec also. I love carrying a theme throughout the car. Black window trim, I'm putting Black highlights where I can. If I'm springing for larger options while maintaining a budget, I'm passing on minor details. Power Steering Plus is really nice in parking lots and is really inexpensive. If it was a 911R or GT3, I may pass on it, but on this car I recommend it. It's not a car that will live on the track it's entire life.

After some training on the car, I am a big believer on the Night Vision option, and Adaptive cruise. I think both of those options are "must haves". What kind of audio do you listen to? Talk radio mainly or music at a very high volume or low volume? The Bose system has been upgraded and if you listen to music at a volume where you can still have a conversation, then go Bose. If you really blast it, Burmester is the only option.

I'm going to do a quick build to generate you a Porsche Code. You can use this for reference, delete it, whatever you want. But, knowing what I know and have seen, this is how I would recommend the car to you without having a good long talk about budget, usage, and purchasing decisions. Hopefully I can come up with something you like. Please don't take this as some sales pitch, I'm just bored in the hotel room and I cruise Rennlist everyday. Ha!
Thanks for the suggestion re: power steering plus. Makes sense.

Re: adaptive cruise, curious why you consider this a must-have option. I never use cruise control when I'm driving, even on long drives. Guessing there are some interesting bells and whistles here?

Re: audio, I listen to all kinds of music, as well as talk radio. Guessing that for my purposes the base Bose system might be good enough, but I'll keep an open mind about the Burmester system. This seems like a good option to check out in person at a dealership.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:25 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI89CW7

If I was building a Panamera for myself. I would want active cruise as I really liked it on my Alpina and wish my Cayenne had it. If you don't use cruise maybe thats a no go. I also have selected night vision as hopefully this is more advanced than the Alpina B7 I had from 2007. I hit 2 deer the other night in my Cayenne although no damage as I pretty much had the vehicle completely stopped... so if I could recognize hazards quicker it would be that much better in keeping the car in 1-piece.

Beyond that these are options I like or have on my Cayenne. PDCC - PTV - is a great feature at keeping the vehicle flat cornering.
sports chrono and sports exhaust give it an aggressive sound and response to get maximum acceleration.
I don't like variable power steering and not sure I would want rear axle steering if given the choice. maybe rear axle but defiantly like a fixed power steering.

I added the side skirts painted but not the entire $5k painted parts- I wonder if it just becomes an area to watch for paint chip likely to occur behind the rear tires.

Premium Pkg Plus- All sound nice. I use LCA and seat vent all the time.
Burmester Sound system- bc I like to rock the music.
Black Trim- I really don't like the aluminum trim look on the 4-door Porsche vehicles.
Black tinted lights- I like the look
Ambient lighting - yes plz _ i like the 1st class soft illuminated interiors when driving at night.
Crest in headrest - I think is classic Porsche vs the model name.
Model Delete- keeps the rear clean and very Autobahn cool delete
Illuminated entry guards - all my Porsche cars have illuminated guards.. adds a bit of suspense and drama of what is to come.
Steering wheel heating - I like for cold mornings.
Ski bag -I'd use my car in Colorado and probably would have a roof system.
Smoking pkg- (to access pwr in center console unless it comes with usb outlets) on the GT3 the non-smoking pkg is just an open area -

Wheels- I like these wheels on the 911 and think its a clean look with silver sports exhaust.

18-way sports seats are the best I've ever used in any car.

Interior trim- I stuck with the free options and thought the sweetgum worked with the leather option of Black and Saddle brown. I really like the 2-tone interiors with deviated stitching.

I think I covered the options or most of them.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:58 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As I understand in this vehicle smoking package replaces USB ports..with lighter . So, smoking package might be less desirable.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:26 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by philipatl
As I understand in this vehicle smoking package replaces USB ports..with lighter . So, smoking package might be less desirable.
Thank you. I do like to have an outlet for some devices that don't charge to USB. Sometimes my Valentine1 radar isn't hardwired into every car for example. But if you can pick that up in the glove box that is cool.

Quick Reply: 2017 Panamera Turbo options -- need advice