Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

2017 Panamera Preview - Porsche Experience Center Atlanta Sep 2016

Old 09-29-2016, 04:17 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts
Default 2017 Panamera Preview - Porsche Experience Center Atlanta Sep 2016

I got to see the new Panamera today at the Porsche Experience Center, at a private preview in synchronization with the Paris Auto Show.

Sorry I don't have time to say too much right now, but will try to comment more later on. In the interim my thoughts are:

Really well balanced and beautiful interior and exterior design. The quality of interior materials and finishes is also very impressive.

The new Panamera definitely looks shorter than the outgoing model, EDIT - despite the slight increase in overall length.

To me it felt that cabin space had not been reduced, but the area that has suffered is definitely in the trunk, and fitting full sized golf bags and lots of family luggage for those holiday trips will definitely be more of a challenge.

There was only one car on display and unfortunately no opportunity to drive it.

However, if I were in the market for a brand new sports sedan right now, I would't hesitate to order one. However I really love my current Panamera GTS, and will be following closely to see what Porsche decides to do with the next GTS as I personally have a strong preference for naturally aspirated engines.

Last edited by EMC2; 09-30-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:47 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

The product manager told me that the next GTS will be a turbo.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Huh? The new Panamera is actually a smidge (technical term) longer than the current model. Current model length: 197.4 in. New Panamera: 198.8. At least, according to the published specs.

Looking forward to your further impressions.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:31 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fgv1it
Huh? The new Panamera is actually a smidge (technical term) longer than the current model. Current model length: 197.4 in. New Panamera: 198.8. At least, according to the published specs.

Looking forward to your further impressions.
Must be a mistake above. It's longer and the wheelbase is longer too. However cabin space seems reduced I think.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:15 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Must be a mistake above. It's longer and the wheelbase is longer too. However cabin space seems reduced I think.
Thanks for picking that up guys - original post has been corrected.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:10 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Here was my write-up. You will see that the legroom in rear looks pretty limited when you have a tall driver in front.

OVERALL TAKEAWAYS

1) Absolutely Gorgeous Car. Best looking sedan on the market by a long margin. My guess is both the 2018 E63 and the 2019 M5/M6 will look totally pedestrian next to this thing. The proportions and stance are excellent. The lines and shape is really stunning. The styling seems to draw more from the Porsche E-mission than the old Panamera - which is high praise.

2) The interior is really fantastic. Screen placement, buttons, controls, and the way everything is illuminated is ultra-modern. It really feels like a step into the future of automotive interiors. The detailing is also superb. If you look at the doors you will see an inlaid silver pattern which continues the line of the door handle to make it look like one shape. The way the cup holder opens and closes is very nice. There are lots of nice small storage spaces. The leather is also exceptional.

3) The digital displays seem like they must be OLED. The blacks are jet black, which make the digital gauges look very real and super bright. It's not like the S-Class displays - these displays are exceptionally sharp, bright and high contrast.

4)Technology gap to BMW is almost closed. I don't see many tech gaps vs BMW - surround view, concierge button, telematics, Apps, Apple CarPlay, large nav screen, Google Earth. This car has it all - well everything except HUD. Also I received a hint that the Panamera may receive a HUD in the not too distant future (probably more than I should say).

5) They are considering a bench seat. Porsche understands that some people need 3 real seats, and they are experimenting with a bench seat. Sounds like early development stage and they need to get it right before releasing so I don't know when, or if this will only be for the shooting brake, but I got the impression bench seat is a matter of when not if.

6) The car will have a very short-run as a 2017 and then a 2018 will launch quicker than you might expect.

7) Porsche seems more customer centric than ever. I had a long chat with the product manager and was particularly impressed with how they seemed to act on product design feedback from customers. I go to a lot of these launch events, and the Porsche guys seemed much more attuned to customer needs/wants than BMW or Mercedes.

OVERALL: They knocked the ball out of the park with this one. Can't wait to see what they do with the next 911.

PICTURES

My Porsche outside the Porsche Experience Center

Old 09-30-2016, 07:40 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

The product manager told me that the next GTS will be a turbo.
The only question is will it be a v8 or v6.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:17 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justabout
The only question is will it be a v8 or v6.
My guess is V6. Cayenne GTS is V6. I'm guessing 480hp. A meaningful bump over 4S but no threat to Turbo.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Awesomeness. Very meaningful update in many ways. Cannot wait for the wagon version or the new Cayenne (also, cannot decide between the two, but I feel it will be the one that shows up first).
Old 10-01-2016, 01:39 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE=stealthpilot;13643413]Here was my write-up. You will see that the legroom in rear looks pretty limited when you have a tall driver in front./QUOTE]

Thank you for the write-up and the photos, Stealthpilot. Helps with the wait.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:39 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

[quote=fgv1it]
Here was my write-up. You will see that the legroom in rear looks pretty limited when you have a tall driver in front./QUOTE]

Thank you for the write-up and the photos, Stealthpilot. Helps with the wait.
You will enjoy it. Excellent car.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:54 PM
Evo X
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 78 Posts

I got to check it out as well yesterday and can echo your thoughts. Fantastic job by Porsche! Best 4 seater sports sedan on the market. I shot a video of the wing in action and another 360 degree walk around. It's nothing special, just cellphone footage, but I can upload it if anyone wants to see.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:54 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you all for the comments and photos. Major improvements on the already exceptional Panamera. The new PGTS no doubt will be tuned for an optimal real world driving experience. The launch turbo will best anything other sedan on the market by a lot. Love my NA PGTS, but I expect the new version to be dynamically much better even though the engineers will have a tall order to replicate the visceral delights of the PGTS.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:05 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

just got an email from pcna re the new panamera hybrid. surprised to read it has the 7 sp pdk! didn't say if it was awd or not though. a bright blue pana hybrid with pdk, awd, and a rear bench might just be my dream car! hope they make it
Old 10-07-2016, 08:40 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
just got an email from pcna re the new panamera hybrid. surprised to read it has the 7 sp pdk! didn't say if it was awd or not though. a bright blue pana hybrid with pdk, awd, and a rear bench might just be my dream car! hope they make it
What you read was probably a typo.

My info says, "New eight-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)"

It is definitely, "With all-wheel drive for the first time"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Panamera Preview - Porsche Experience Center Atlanta Sep 2016