Panamera 2010-Current

advice on purchasing my first CPO'ed Panamera

Old 05-27-2016, 01:14 PM
airbaker
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on purchasing my first CPO'ed Panamera

Hi guys/gals,

First time poster. I'm in the market for my first Panamera and am focused on a 2013-2014 - S, 4S, or GTS. Budget is about $75,000.

I've narrowed down my search to a few different models at different dealerships across the U.S. I live out on the West Coast and will travel if necessary to see the car in person.

My question is: In properly vetting the car through phone calls and online dialogue with the sales reps, are there any specific, (industry type) questions to ask? ie, sending a copy of the build sheet... Is there a CPO checklist to ask for that shows the wear on the brakes, tires, recall items, service history, etc... Are there specific areas of the car to request HD, close up pictures, other than the pictures usually provided for in autotrader ads?

Sorry for the broad based questions, but would really appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2016, 03:23 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a CPO checklist and standards that must be observed before the dealer issues a CPO warranty, including cosmetic items. I would ask to go over the checklist with the dealer's service manager and do not be bashful about any questions that you may have. I would not rely on a third party inspection so a trip to the selling dealership will be worth the time and expense. Obviously, wheels, tires, brake rotors and pads as well as maintenance records of the vehicle should be checked for timely service at specified intervals. What may seem like trivial things can get costly if after you get the car service is required.
Panameras are amazing vehicles that not many truly appreciate. Good luck in your quest.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:25 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

My strong advise, after 3 years and 45'000 (beautiful) smile miles of Panamera (4S), ..is to get a CPO car.
I would not touch a "non CPO" !
I had "coolant pipes", High pressure fuel pump, front bushings of the suspension, coils, and etc..
I can tell you the Porsche Driving assistance is real great !!
..my "two cents" !!! (that was for me multi thousand dollars)

Then, what are the good options ?
This could be very personal, but, if a "4S", then IMO air suspension is a must. Like Sport chrono, to have "normal-sport and sport plus modes".
I would recommend "Lane Change Assist" (do not have it on my Panamera, as it is a 2010, but we have it on our Cayenne turbo and it is a REAL great safety feature. (Like back-up camera.)
Side note : Many people seems to love having the "isolation glasses".
etc...
Good luck, get a GREAT one. The Panamera is the best car we ever had, simply a fabulous car.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:06 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
My strong advise, after 3 years and 45'000 (beautiful) smile miles of Panamera (4S), ..is to get a CPO car.
I would not touch a "non CPO" !
I had "coolant pipes", High pressure fuel pump, front bushings of the suspension, coils, and etc..
I can tell you the Porsche Driving assistance is real great !!
..my "two cents" !!! (that was for me multi thousand dollars)

Then, what are the good options ?
This could be very personal, but, if a "4S", then IMO air suspension is a must. Like Sport chrono, to have "normal-sport and sport plus modes".
I would recommend "Lane Change Assist" (do not have it on my Panamera, as it is a 2010, but we have it on our Cayenne turbo and it is a REAL great safety feature. (Like back-up camera.)
Side note : Many people seems to love having the "isolation glasses".
etc...
Good luck, get a GREAT one. The Panamera is the best car we ever had, simply a fabulous car.
How many miles are on your car? It's kind of a disappointment to have this issues go wrong if it has fairly low miles.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:12 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Just got a CPO 2015 4 with sport options, for about that price. 8k miles. I also wouldn t touch one of these with a warranty. Loving the car as much if not more than the 911 I traded in. I would want to see in person and drive the car, but that s just me, before paying for it.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:04 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
How many miles are on your car? It's kind of a disappointment to have this issues go wrong if it has fairly low miles.
I bought it (CPO) in Feb 2013, with 23k miles.
Now the car has around 60k.
(Will change it before it goes out of warranty, this year)
For your info, "full story" of this car is here :
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...l#post10198176

Well, in my view, a car is now a very complex assembly of mechanic parts, electric components and computers.
So, things can go wrong, but if the services taking care on this is appropriate, with good diagnostics system, and fast fixes, I think this is fine and do not present serious reason of disappointment. Frankly, to my observations, the Porsche CPO with its associated Roadside Assistance, is just a very good service ..for our Panamera !

I still consider that our Panamera 4S is still (and by far) the BEST car we ever own and I ever drove.

(I would not talk here about our Cayenne Turbo, (out of topic !) that is also under full warranty, and has a problem that is still not fixed !!)
Old 07-05-2016, 08:42 PM
CZM
8th Gear

Just my 2 cents...

I bought a CPOed Panamera Turbo from Brumos only to find out a rear door had been "worked on" That is: repainted. I found out when the paint began peeling off. Turns out that CPO does NOT guarantee paint or lack of damage. Had I known, I would have been more proactive in researching the car.

FWIW, I'm now looking to replace it with a 2014. Great car!

Ed
2010 Panamera Turbo (loaded) (for sale)
2012 Corvette GTS Convertable LT3 (for sale)
2012 Cayenne Turbo (loaded)
Old 08-22-2016, 12:51 AM
mdosu
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

How much would you value that CPO feature btw? I think $3k is about right as it's MSRP if you were to purchase it from a dealer and if your car is currently under original warranty.

I am in the market for a '14 SEH
Old 09-15-2016, 02:48 PM
smora44
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by airbaker
Hi guys/gals,

First time poster. I'm in the market for my first Panamera and am focused on a 2013-2014 - S, 4S, or GTS. Budget is about $75,000.

I've narrowed down my search to a few different models at different dealerships across the U.S. I live out on the West Coast and will travel if necessary to see the car in person.

My question is: In properly vetting the car through phone calls and online dialogue with the sales reps, are there any specific, (industry type) questions to ask? ie, sending a copy of the build sheet... Is there a CPO checklist to ask for that shows the wear on the brakes, tires, recall items, service history, etc... Are there specific areas of the car to request HD, close up pictures, other than the pictures usually provided for in autotrader ads?

Sorry for the broad based questions, but would really appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks!
Did you ever end up getting the Panamera?
Old 09-16-2016, 04:46 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

airbaker, are you the guy I met at Safeway today? I'm happy to chat more about Pannys if you like. Feel free to hit me up.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:21 PM
2012PorschePan
4th Gear

Default 2012 Panamera 4

Hi,

New to the Porsche community and looking at a 2012 Panamera. It's $45K, with 50K miles and Clean Carfax. Had it a Pre-sale inspection done by the Porsche dealer(they are not the seller), and it came back pretty clean with just some cosmetic issues. I've read about and even had the Porsche dealer say they have had to replace Panamera engines.
1.) Am I risking too much?
2.) Any idea as to the cost of replacing an engine if it failed?
I am having a really hard time getting any straight info so appreciate any feedback and sorry if it is covered in a thread somewhere that I missed.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:43 PM
cerbomark
Racer

1. Depends on your subjective view of the value of $45K... To some thats not an expensive car at all, so not much risk... Only you can answer that question.
2. Maybe that not a good question.. there are many repairs that are costly. I m guessing a full engine is about $25K but the odds are against that. A trans, would cost almost that much and may be a more likely concern for me.
Also I would ask what is the service history. At 50K (if you do no service yourself and rely on a dealer) you could be thousands in due service. Not trying to scare you off but I d consider that.
I just leased one and by 55K miles when large services are due ,and warranty is gone, I ll be out of it. Just some things to consider.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:26 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

I know that experiences can vary wildly, but I'll say this: I've had three Porsches so far and my Panamera has turned out to be the most reliable car I've ever owned. Not one problem in 14k miles. Only maintenance.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 PM
2012PorschePan
4th Gear

Originally Posted by cerbomark
1. Depends on your subjective view of the value of $45K... To some thats not an expensive car at all, so not much risk... Only you can answer that question.
2. Maybe that not a good question.. there are many repairs that are costly. I m guessing a full engine is about $25K but the odds are against that. A trans, would cost almost that much and may be a more likely concern for me.
Also I would ask what is the service history. At 50K (if you do no service yourself and rely on a dealer) you could be thousands in due service. Not trying to scare you off but I d consider that.
I just leased one and by 55K miles when large services are due ,and warranty is gone, I ll be out of it. Just some things to consider.

Thanks! Risk in this case meant risk of failure and not the $45K as I do understand that in the Porsche world, it's not that much. Reason I asked about the engine is that there seems to be quite a few issues with 2011-12 Cayennes and Panameras with camshaft bolts failing and winding up in the engine. Service history on this one, while not complete, is available and 45K service was done and 55K will be about $1800. Last 3 vehicles (Acura, Honda, GMC (I know)) have all gone over 125k with only routine maintenance and no major failures so just trying to perform due diligence ... appreciate the input.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:57 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Looks like you researched it ... I can t say for sure but didn t 2012 have some front end issues also? Knowing about the cam bolt failures I wonder if you can do something to prevent it causing damage.
As far as risk of failure I m sure it a very small number. But better to be prepared. Maybe consider aftermarket warranty?
Whats due at 55K for 1800?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: advice on purchasing my first CPO'ed Panamera