Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

The Saga of the 2013 Panamera Navigation Map Update -- Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 02:46 PM
waveforce
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi JAG2009,

If you buy the update from Suncoast they will give you the detailed instructions too if you ask.

My recommendation is that you do that -- get the activation code from Suncoast and then email them asking for the "Installation and Modification Instructions" pdf from Porsche TSI, and then hand over what you get from Suncoast (the activation code and the printed PDF) to your dealer, and request that you are present when they follow the procedure.

One thing that is missing from the instructions that is VERY important: when you insert Disc 1 of the update (note: Suncoast won't give you the update DVDs themselves, but the part # for that is in the instructions and the dealer should have them), the PCM will *reboot*. *Leave the ignition on and wait for the reboot to complete, and for the PCM to start reading the Disc 1*. The process isn't completed until the PCM finishes reading Disc 1, and then asks for 2, 3 and 4!!!

The instructions aren't clear about that.

Reason I wouldn't recommend doing any of this yourself is that you'd need to spend an extra $50 or so on the discs, plus if you don't have a high current battery charger in your garage you may run out of power during the update, which would be *very bad*. The update process can take up to 3 hours (yes, you read that right). Also, I've found that occasionally the PCM won't eject a disc when it asks for the next, and you need the PIWIS connected to actually have the PCM eject the disc.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:30 PM
hme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Waveforce,

Which Bay Area Porsche dealership did you take your car to so that I can avoid them in the future?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 PM
waveforce
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@hme: Walnut Creek. But they're all pretty inept on these things; I've used all of them and when it comes to Tequipment stuff the only one that doesn't mess things up is Sonnen/Marin, mostly because of the awesome Parts department, run by Greg...
Old 12-15-2018, 01:59 AM
Panamhtx
3rd Gear

So anyway to get the access code without going to a dealership?
Old 12-15-2018, 10:44 AM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Panamhtx
So anyway to get the access code without going to a dealership?
If you were able to find non dealership source (using google search for example) to generate the vin specific code and you paid, lets say, $100 for the code you will still need a PIWIS to enter the code. Unless you have or know someone who has a PIWIS you are going to have to pay a indy shop or dealer. In the end I'm not sure how much you are going to save.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:20 PM
smithsor
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Waveforce,
I bought the Suncoast 2018 PCM/Nav update discs and had the dealer do the install. The tech said I could do it myself but I insisted because with my luck I'd get to the last step and it would require a Porsche tech. How do you get to the History Log? I don't have a tier Info then Source in the menus. Also, the old maps didn't have any Target stores (yes...my wife's needs) and after my upgrade they show up. However, later in the day they no longer are showing up so I'm re-engaging with the dealer. If I can get to the logs I'll be better prepared to defend myself. Thanks man!
Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 PM
Expat444
Advanced

Press the 'Source' and 'Info' buttons on your PCM at the same time.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:35 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Has the dealership service tech contacted Porsche to get help? My dealership couldn't get my new key fob to work properly. They contacted Porsche, got answers and the next day called me to bring my car in. They reprogrammed the key with Porsche's help and procedures and had it fixed in an hour.

I have heard too many times that updating maps is a nightmare and doesn't take more often than not.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:13 PM
Fulwild
Rennlist Member

I have a 970.1 with Version 2 updated to Version 2.47 (April 2010 build) of PCM 3.1 installed. Just tried to update at dealer with Suncoast update code with no success.

I am assuming that there is an update for Version 1 (2009 thru prior to April 2010 build) and Version 2 (Prior to my April 2010 build to 2013?). The Instructions (Technical Information 23/18 from Porsche I received from Suncoast are for a 911 (991) and reference the need to have System version 3.42/ 4.52 (not most recent versions) installed. The materials make no reference to versions 1 or 2.

Has anyone updated to the new 2018 /2019 Maps version from a 2010 or earlier Panamera (versions 1 or 2)?

If so, a screen shot of the installed PCM version and software files would be helpful in discussions with the dealer.

Any info on the files for any of the 2018/19 updates will be carried over to a thread here on PCM 3.1 versions

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Fulwild; 07-10-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: The Saga of the 2013 Panamera Navigation Map Update -- Need Help!