Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Got my GTS this spring, and now I need the winter tires, any suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 03:41 AM
Eddyhe
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my GTS this spring, and now I need the winter tires, any suggestion?

Got my 2015 Panamera GTS this spring. I love it so much!

I live in Toronto and winter is coming, the tires on my car are Pilot Super Sport, front 255/40ZR20, rear 295/35ZR20.

What size do I need for the winter tires? Can I still use the same size for the winter tires? What brand you guys are recommended?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!!

Old 10-04-2015, 07:50 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Beautiful car. Just picked a GTS up yesterday. Red on black w/ red deviated stitching.

Anyway, I had the same questions so I'll be doing some research and posting what I find. The summers come on 20" but I'm leaning toward 18" or possibly 19" for winters.

BTW, are the pics recent? There are no leaves in the trees already? I lived in Toronto many moons ago, Oakville actually, and in London and I don't remember the leaves falling this early. Ouch. In Boston right now, the trees are still green, despite the hurricane out at sea.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:59 AM
alaint101
Racer

BTW, driving impressions?

The only experience I've had w/ the Panam - a GTS - was some track time in AL. It will be my winter beater but I certainly would value your summer experience.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Eddyhe
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by alaint101
Beautiful car. Just picked a GTS up yesterday. Red on black w/ red deviated stitching. Anyway, I had the same questions so I'll be doing some research and posting what I find. The summers come on 20" but I'm leaning toward 18" or possibly 19" for winters. BTW, are the pics recent? There are no leaves in the trees already? I lived in Toronto many moons ago, Oakville actually, and in London and I don't remember the leaves falling this early. Ouch. In Boston right now, the trees are still green, despite the hurricane out at sea.
Thanks for the reply. The pictures are taken around March, it was still cold that time. So, is it possible to use the same size tires? since I dont want to get another set of rims.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go skinnier to 285/35 in the rear.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:51 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

For the GTS, you cannot use 18" wheels because of the larger brakes. Verify with your manuals, but 19" or 20" should be good.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:52 PM
dnsacks
Track Day

Nice car -- you can definitely run snows on your 20" wheels -- we're running pirelli sottozeros on our GTS and enjoyed them last winter. -- here's a link to Porsche-recommended winter tires for our panameras http://files2.porsche.com/filestore....9-0019999cd470
Old 10-05-2015, 08:14 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had 2 Panameras, first a 4S and now a GTS, since 2010. I ran 18" snows on the 4S, but 18" will not fit on a GTS. So I went up to 19" for the GTS. Generally speaking, you want the narrowest, highest profile tires you can fit on the car if you're doing serious snow driving.

As I live in Southern California and commute to the mountains, I'm living with 19" wheels with Conti Contact AS tires. Not as good as true snow tires (Michelin Alpin, Pirelli Sottozero) but my dealer gave me the wheels and tires for free.

I've been driving in snow for 45 years (long time skier and ski instructor) and I've always gone as narrow as practical for snow tires. You give up a bit on a dry road, but the difference in snow is very noticeable.

DMoore
'13 Panamera GTS
'15 GT3 (NOT my snow car!)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:24 AM
johnnymiz
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a gts, you really should go 19" if you can afford the extra cost of the rims and tpms.
I have a regular 4, so I got an 18" tire wheel combination.
actually got a smoking deal from a dealer through ebay last week... brand new factory rims with new nokian tires and tpm sensors.
I can't imagine the road conditions in Toronto are any better than here in NYC and the taller sidewalls are really necessary.... even if it is just an inch.
I've run a 17" snow combo on my 08 boxster for years in the winter and they make it a useable car for me without the worry of blowing out a tire or rim in one of our fiat swallowing sized craters that the city calls potholes. even though its only 2wd, it does fine in snow as long as I don't do anything stupid. of course, anything over like 2" I take a different car because in 3" or more a boxster becomes a very expensive snow plow
Old 10-31-2015, 10:56 AM
alaint101
Racer

Originally Posted by Eddyhe
What size do I need for the winter tires? Can I still use the same size for the winter tires? What brand you guys are recommended?

Any suggestions?
Finally got winters on yesterday. Kept the 20" wheels (will get new wheels for summer) and decided to go w/ Pirelli Sottozero. They mount on the original wheels but are slightly narrower than the summer performance tires. (Performance is a bit of an overstatement IMO since I have the Conti's, which I have never been impressed with for sporty driving, vastly preferring the Michelins but whatever...)

They are one of 3 approved winter tires as I understand it. The dealer recommended them. I have never tried them but I have read about them and they seem to get good reviews.

In the US, they set me back a little less than $350 each. (Rears were slightly more and fronts slightly less given staggered widths)

I hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Got my GTS this spring, and now I need the winter tires, any suggestion?