Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Rented a Panamara to bust around England today...

Old 01-31-2015, 07:13 PM
Speedtoys
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 623 Posts
Default Rented a Panamara to bust around England today...

...and it's simply not growing on me.

I 'feel' like there is too much computer control of the transmission to make it do what I want..

Even with the PDK shifting, which I think is entirely done wrong ergonomics wise.

too many buttons, and when you're tearing it up, then lift on the pedal to brake, it keeps the throttle open with the car 'neutral' for a bit, and no immediate engine drag, which bugs me too.

We'll see how it is after a few days..
Old 01-31-2015, 08:01 PM
XS29L9B
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts

How much per day?

I tried renting a Panamera at IAD and they said they don't have availability. I think it was from Hertz. Anyways, just wondering the rate, and who it might have been through.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Speedtoys
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XS29L9B
How much per day?

I tried renting a Panamera at IAD and they said they don't have availability. I think it was from Hertz. Anyways, just wondering the rate, and who it might have been through.
I have a special rate through Sixt at Healthrow, because a previous rental had some issues..not their fault..that cost me a lot of $ and hassle.

..its way below the book rate of about 250GPB per day.

But the damage deposit isnt..
Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 AM
potdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI welcome is it work or pleasure in UK . What countys are you visiting hope you are not where the bad weather is have a nice day.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Speedtoys
Rennlist Member

Customers in london monday/tue, then more in germany thru the 12th.

In Munich all this coming weekend, 5-10th
Old 02-05-2015, 11:23 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any better?

Can you share what type of Panamera was it? Options?

Do you own a Porsche now? Just to know what you are comparing it to...
Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had one for 2 days [dealer loaner] i let my wife drive it .after a minute or so she asked "is that it". i saw little need in trying to throw something around that is in the weight class of a humvee.panny owners beeezzz strange
Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I suppose you are talking about base models.
Yes, I agree, imo too : not good enough.

But : Give a try to to something a little bit more serious, i.e.: a GTS or an S V8.

About "a lot of buttons", my answer (I own a V8 4S, after many MANY 911 non stop as daily for 30 years) : I MUCH prefer a LOT of buttons to do the job, then a single big button, that looks like a washing machine, and to operate it, you need to have both your eyes and you brain on a computer screen to see the action. If you drive this car often, (not a rental, but if you own it), I can tell you that you KNOW were these buttons are, and you can operate these, ..without watching your fingers or a computer screen.

About PDK : yes, very fast, but I agree, none of the 3 programs (if you ordered "Sport Plus") is in place at the time you want/need it. IMO, this is true for ALL automatic cars : simply NFG for a road car.

My two cents, or, ..to be be more accurate, my 100k$.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:50 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

I agree that the Pan base model is underpowered, however it is a great highway cruiser. As for the buttons, after a few drives they become very easy to comprehend and are logically arranged and become less daunting. I love them compared to iDrive, MMI or any of the other mouse-like systems other brands use.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:37 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Had a base Panny loaner. Not bad, but not great, around town, much better IMO for comfy highway cruising. I'd get CPOd one for road trips...T
Old 02-07-2015, 10:59 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't know the PDK programming on a base Panamera, but on the GTS it shifts up/down rather well. It is limited on downshifts compared to my 991 TTS, so I have to be mindful of rpm coming into downshift corners. I like the control buttons and if one has different, recent Porsche models the stalk controls and buttons are standardized so easy to use from one to another. One quite notable point about the GTS even in sport suspension setting is that it tracks beautifully on the highway and has a very compliant ride, while maintaining excellent road feel. Far better than my A8 in every respect. The 18 way seats make a big difference IMO and are the most supportive and comfortable seats I have experienced in any car. They make long distance driving much easier than is the case in other cars. Perhaps the OP's view of Panamera would change if he drove a PGTS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rented a Panamara to bust around England today...