Panamera 2010-Current

please help! Panamera won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Whee6
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help! Panamera won't start

Ok so i know that others have had start problems with other panamera and other models and they have posted here about that. Always accompanied with the car not locking or unlocking or even gear lever in the wrong position. Here is my problem: My 2011 PTT almost always starts just fine. There are 2 parking areas near my home where it simply won't start. Local dealership could not find anything wrong. This has happened many times only in specific parking lots. Doors unlock and lock, battery is just fine, no warning lights or messages come on. I start the car it makes the attempted start noise and it doesn't start. I try at it for hours with all 3 of my keys and nothing happens. (I bought a 3rd key thinking it would help) the only thing that ever works for me is to get myself and the keys far away from the car and wait about 1-2 hours and come back and it starts just fine. Has anybody had similar experiences? Is it a problem with radio signals in my area? Any and all advice is appreciated thanks.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:41 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you near an airport or some other place with RADAR?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:21 AM
Whee6
4th Gear

Closest major airport is about 6 miles away. I should say the the problem occurs in a very small parking lot directly in the middle of about 12-15 business establishments.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:01 AM
clorigo
Instructor

I have a similar issue -- working with my rep at the dealership. He's a good guy and I am sure it will be fixed.

I have read elsewhere that there are a few issues with Enter and Drive on the earlier Panameras - of course its all on the internet, and not sure exactly what to think (just like my reply).

I will follow-up with what is found. (Any resolution for you?)

Last edited by clorigo; 09-20-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:22 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

On similar topic, BE VERY CAREFUL when "remote closing" your car with key/keyless entry, etc.. as that kind of stuff exist :
(See : http://cellphone-jammers.com/crc100-...er-433mhz.html)
And seems to become widely used in many "cities". You click and feel that your car is closed, leave, ..and when you are back, ..in the best case, your car is still here and open, ..but empty !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-11-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:41 AM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 07-06-2018, 06:40 PM
hubbard316
AutoX

Sorry to revive this old thread. But did you ever get a solution to this?

My Panny S is starting to have starting issues. I can come out to the car, put the key in, and it cranks with no problem. Maybe a slightly slow turnover, but it cranks. I can then park and cut it off, come back out within 5 minutes, and it will not crank or turn over. Only a slight click. All lights are on the dashboard working fine, windows roll up and down, headlights work properly, taillights function properly, radio is on and working. Key is in the ignition, but car will not turn over. Just clicks once.

I then can go to the battery to try and boost off in the trunk, no luck. Still the same issues. Then I can go to the jump off terminals under the hood. Plug everything up to my jump off box and the car slowly turns over like it has a weak battery, but cranks and starts. Super weird. Anyone have any idea of what this could be?
Old 07-06-2018, 06:52 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

could be the starter going bad or a loose/corroded ground connection - cranking slowly implies there isn't enough current flowing thru the starter.... (my 2 cents)
Old 07-06-2018, 07:08 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Had a similar problem (not Porsche). Had to improvise a faraday cage around the steering column and key (has a chip in the key) so the antenna in the steering column and the key could communicate without interference. Happens in the same parking spot. So I can believe their is electrical interference with your car. Porsche must also use a chip but have no idea where the antenna would be .
Old 07-06-2018, 07:40 PM
hubbard316
AutoX

Originally Posted by DogWood
could be the starter going bad or a loose/corroded ground connection - cranking slowly implies there isn't enough current flowing thru the starter.... (my 2 cents)
Where would I look for the ground connection? Also, would this be the case that if I hook up a jump box under the hood that the car would crank in your opinion?
Old 07-06-2018, 08:28 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Sorry, can't really help more, while I have purchased a 4S I've yet to see it :-( (will be arriving the 14th)

the ground issue is something I've run into on past Porsches - bigger issue on North East/Midwest cars with salted roads.

I would start by looking at the started and trying to trace things back from there... a multi-meter would be helpful for measuring resistance/ verifying continuity
Old 07-09-2018, 12:53 AM
ciaka
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 40 Posts

that is very strange. I assume you replaced the remote batteries. Also, I would put battery on charger to make sure it is fully charged. Also, If those two do not help, disconnect the battery in evening, and plug it back in the next morning. I have had some strange electrical stuff going on in another Porsche, and once I did the no batt. overnight, it cleared right up. Good luck and update us.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:43 PM
hubbard316
AutoX

Dropped the car off at the dealership this morning for diagnosis. They changed the battery to a new one (which my battery was already new, a week old), went to start the car and the same thing happened. They are keeping it to try and trace the problem now as we speak. Will update everyone to their findings as soon as I hear something
Old 07-09-2018, 04:26 PM
hubbard316
AutoX

Update::

So they are advising me that there is a wire that is melting that connects the alternator, battery, and starter...??? Anyone ever heard of this? They state is is getting to hot and is melting which is causing the voltage not to be sufficient to crank the car. My car was recently serviced for the camshaft bolt recall and the engine was taken completely out of the car to fix it supposedly. Since then, I have had more and more trouble with the car. They are wanting $1k to replace this wire. Smh. Now on top of that, the catalytic convertor on bank 2 has failed and I am over the mileage warranty for emissions.

Side note: They replaced one of the convertors on the car for bank 1 because it was failing and gave a code for it. In your experience or opinion, wouldnt they replace both if they saw one was failing and we were right up against the warranty period? Not sure how I feel about this dealership.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 PM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hubbard316
Update::

So they are advising me that there is a wire that is melting that connects the alternator, battery, and starter...??? Anyone ever heard of this? They state is is getting to hot and is melting which is causing the voltage not to be sufficient to crank the car. My car was recently serviced for the camshaft bolt recall and the engine was taken completely out of the car to fix it supposedly. Since then, I have had more and more trouble with the car. They are wanting $1k to replace this wire. Smh. Now on top of that, the catalytic convertor on bank 2 has failed and I am over the mileage warranty for emissions.

Side note: They replaced one of the convertors on the car for bank 1 because it was failing and gave a code for it. In your experience or opinion, wouldnt they replace both if they saw one was failing and we were right up against the warranty period? Not sure how I feel about this dealership.

Hubbard, Something seems to be very wrong. OK, they say the problem is due to a wire melting....They want to change the wire....What is keeping the new wire from melting? Have they figured out why the wire is melting? Could something maybe happen when they did the recall? Maybe they pinched the wire and it was grounded or something. Wires just don't decide to start melting all of a sudden. I sure hope they correct the origin of the over heating. Not sure what to tell you about the converter. It is a shame you have to go through this. Good luck.

Quick Reply: please help! Panamera won't start