Panamera 2010-Current

996 or 997TT to Panamera Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:12 PM
951Pearly
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 or 997TT to Panamera Turbo

Hello fellow rennlisters. I've heard much about how the Panamera is the best handling 4 door sedan and non other vehicle of it's type can compete. What I am interested in finding out is how well can the handling of the Panamera match a 996 or 997TT?

I understand that straight line speed they are close and that's not a concern but on a canyon road or track driving how well does the Panamera compare? They are all technically GT cars. The panamera is heavier by around 1000lb so that has a great effect but the panny is also more balanced.... I've only driven the 911 turbos so I can't really speak for the panny but I would like input from anyone that has driven both in a spirited way on the track or canyon road and can provide insight to the handling characteristics.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:01 AM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't speak to a 996 or 997 turbo but can comment comparing to 997. Frankly it is a big and heavy 4 door sedan. While there is a bit of the Porsche magic baked into a Panamera, it is not a sports car. When I have a choice always chose my 997 over my Panamera.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:50 AM
brucebell
Track Day

I had a 996 turbo S, lovely car, quite quick and great handling. I just traded my 2012 panamera turbo for a '13 Carrara 4s. In a straight line the panamera turbo would "blow the doors off" a 996 turbo S. On the track, I was able to keep up with the 996 turbo s in front of me, however I don't know if that was the car or driver inexperience. My subjective guess is that in the right hands the 996 would be quicker in the twisties. How the panamera is configured is significant. PDCC is frackin awesome. When I traded the ptt for the c4s I tested two cars back to back and settled on the one with the PDCC. So, since you asked for a comparison of the girl of your dreams VS the woman you'd want as the mother of your children. I can only tell you that the panny is by far the best car I've Ever owned. It really may be the best car ever made. So why did I go back to the 911 C4S? She is the girl of my dreams!
Bruce
Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brucebell
I had a 996 turbo S, lovely car, quite quick and great handling. I just traded my 2012 panamera turbo for a '13 Carrara 4s. In a straight line the panamera turbo would "blow the doors off" a 996 turbo S. On the track, I was able to keep up with the 996 turbo s in front of me, however I don't know if that was the car or driver inexperience. My subjective guess is that in the right hands the 996 would be quicker in the twisties. How the panamera is configured is significant. PDCC is frackin awesome. When I traded the ptt for the c4s I tested two cars back to back and settled on the one with the PDCC. So, since you asked for a comparison of the girl of your dreams VS the woman you'd want as the mother of your children. I can only tell you that the panny is by far the best car I've Ever owned. It really may be the best car ever made. So why did I go back to the 911 C4S? She is the girl of my dreams!

Bruce
Interesting, I feel the nearly the same about my 11 PTT (exhaust/ecu mods). I'm very impressed with the overall package.
Maybe it just fits my lifestyle so well lately? Coming from 996TT, 996GT2 and GT3RS's, didn't think I would be so impressed, but guess age is catching up with me. Now, looking for the girl of my dreams-the car kind..

Last edited by NelsonF; 12-10-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:19 PM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe TT better. I has a 10 4S and it is just a car and I have no passion for it. However the sport plus button does at least make it interesting but not drivable in that mode all the time
Old 12-09-2013, 08:54 PM
le3
Advanced

Hard to compare two totally different intended purpose build cars. I just traded my 996 TT for a Panamera Turbo and they handle completely different. For the family the Panamera has no equals, but on the track the 996 TT will feel more at home.

I think the difference between the Panamera Turbo and the 996 TT is purely based on your lifestyle. I plan on trading my new Panamera turbo in on a new 911 turbo in 4 years when my oldest child gets his first car (a large SUV)....till then the Panamera is awesome and more compares to a Bentley Continental then a 996 or 997 turbo.

Just my opinion...
Old 12-10-2013, 10:03 AM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with what has been said, having lived with the 997 TT and the Panny TT both. The 997 TT was great when the kids were young and fit in the back seat for weekend drives, now they are too big . The Panny with PDCC is very tight in the curves, and feels less "big" than comparable Audi or BMW offerings, but is still more isolated from the road than the 997. That said, the Panny is the best overall vehicle I have ever driven.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I also had many 911's the most recent a 09 997 Turbo Cab, GT3RS before that, GT2, Turbo etc. I now have a 2012 PTT and is suit's my daily driving and kid hauling needs perfectly. Goes like stink and handles well. All that being said it is a 4,500 lb car and for all it does well, it is not a 911 and never will be.

If you are in 911 and don't need 4 doors and tons of utility and are looking for passion I would look to a 911 TT or GT2 or GT3 variants - those cars are fast and fun and will feed your passion. I also personally believe if you drive a 991 Carrrera S (not a 4S) you will love that car as well. I personally like the steering feel of the non AWD cars much better over the AWD cars.

Good luck finding the perfect ride for you!

Quick Reply: 996 or 997TT to Panamera Turbo