Notices

Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !

Old 11-19-2013, 06:09 PM
lic265
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, i purchased a 2010 PTT several months ago, and am fortunate to compare this to my 2007 911 TT. Quite simply, they are 2 completely different cars in regards to driver input, ride, and rawness. Driving the 911 , you are more connected to the car ( mine is 6sp), and the feedback through the wheel direct. You can sense the limits of the car much more easily.

However, the Panamera is now getting much more drive time - it is a lot easier in heavy traffic as a commuter car, it hold 4 passengers comfortably, and can be driven spiritedly in the twisties. The truck can hold 2 large golf bags. 2 clicks down on the PDK steering wheel button and floor it on the exit ramp is more than enough power for merging. This car feels smaller than it is, particularly compared to the BMW 7 or Audi A8.

Does it have the nailed down feel of the 911 ? - no, but it is closer than anything else out there, save the RS8 ( which i have not driven).

It remains to be seen if i keep the 911..........
Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 PM
moto one
User

GVA-SFO thanks for taking the time to chronicle your experience with the PS4. Now all I have to do is convince my wife that it's the right car to replace her Audi S4 (that was killed by a school bus).

Mark.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:50 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

An interesting note : I was away (in Europe) for about 3 months, and just came back, turned on the key, and ..the battery was just fine, the car started right away, all good !
This did impressed me, as I did not took any special attention, i.e.: no battery disconnection, no trickle charger !
Old 01-22-2014, 04:50 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just tried to run a tank of fuel without using “Sport” nor “Sport Plus”, and being “mild&soft” on the right pedal. I run a single tank for about 520 miles, (837 kms), or a quite nice range.
The result (highways and a little of local) : 21mpg or 11.1 l/100km
IMO this is quite impressive for an 4’000 lbs (1’800 kg) permanent 4WD car !

OK, if we compare this use of energy (1 liter of gas being approx. equal to 10'000 kWh), the energy used in this run (931'000 Wh), ..is a LOT, compared to the energy "tank" of a Tesla S (85'000 Wh) !!

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-18-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:30 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

I start to have some not so funny noises in the front suspension, that I can hear when maneuvering at very low speed, i.e.: parkings, turning, going in reverse. Something like "klungs" with a feel of being sourced in the front chassis ! I do not like that so much.. and need to investigate.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:16 AM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa Tim View Post
Glad you continue to enjoy your Pan.
But have you bought another manual 911 yet?
Yes, done deal by now. But no, it is not a 911, ..but a Boxster S ! An old buddy (a 2001).
But, ..it has already PSS9 on each corners, GT3 control arms, new rotors, new pads, new tires, new OZ superleggera, buckets seats, removable steering wheel, etc..
I feel very happy, as with this Boxster plus the Panamera, the 911 is now an old story, closed. (Except, may be one day, a very old SWB, we never know !)
Today, still, in a perfect World, for what I'm going to do, the Boxster should be with PDK and the Panamera should be manual, but.. I got the opposite !
Old 01-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Targa Tim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO View Post
Today, still, in a perfect World, for what I'm going to do, the Boxster should be with PDK and the Panamera should be manual, but.. I got the opposite !
As long as you have a manual in your garage, you will be OK. Happy motoring.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:15 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

This afternoon, I did a first "tour", back to stick shift and no roof, i.e.: for the ones that know the San Francisco Bay area, a very good curvy drive on the "84" : Woodside - "Alice's restaurant" - La Honda and back, ..this was great : a return to real motoring life.
I would say, having the engine at the right place, and a very firm suspension setting, the Boxster feels better than the 996C4 (cab) that I had for long time (2002 to 2013). OK, it lacks some juice, the difference with the 996 gen 2 (Variocam plus) 320hp engine and the 2001 Boxster S is important, but, the Boxster is more agile, and you do not have the weight on the back that you have to balance with the exact right timing in order to feel that you are in the right line !
I'm very happy : for me the equation 911 against Panamera + an old "tuned a bit" Boxster S seems to works real good.
Now, I just have to find some magic juice for the Boxster, ..to make it more spicy !
..And change these awful Kuhmo's, (well, the 4 are brand new, so ??) that did already show their limit already one time to me today !!!, against something that is more "sticky" (Nitto NT01 or Yoko A048.. or, even better, may be later Hoosier ??), will see.
It is funny because I never had these kind of feeling with any of my 911's, probably to keep them as a good daily. Now that the Panamera plays this role so well, I will go for having a wild horse ..just for the fun !

A photo, arrival of the animal, this morning :

By the way, to keep it street legal, i.e.: to pass smog, etc.., I removed the pretty brand new direct (first cat bypass) headers, that are powder coated and thermal bands applied on them. I want to sell them (I will be also on streets, so, I want to keep the cats), and keep the car "silent" too.
If any of you are interested on these headers, send me a PM, I will take some pictures. (Note that they are relatively easy to install, i.e.: direct fit.)
PS: Sure, this is a bit off topic here, I will repost on the Boxster chapter, and ..be back on the Panamera !!

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 01-25-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some history, thinking about “pre-Panamera era”, during the 30 years of 911 as DD, between 1992 and 2006, I was the lucky owner of WP0ZZZ91ZGS150654, a 1986 C3.2, (bought through Lukas Hüni AG, in Zürich) with option 491, that I liked very very much :

Inside, it was a little bit strange :

It was not really a “vegetarian” car, ..it had leather all around !

When I bought it, the car had 8’000 miles, ..and the price was like if the car was new !
But, this was the price to pay, to get a C. 3.2, last model of the country without any cat !
It also had a large rear wing, that did not stayed in position for very long.
Note also that the soft roof protection, ..was also full leather, ..with blue piping !
I should say, that I never used this cover, only the blue one in fabric, ..that was also part of the deal ! Just before I bought it, it was looking like that :

After I sold it in 2005, it was once viewed at the Interlaken parade :

And just before the Panamera, a (2002) 996 C4 Cab, that I had for 11 years (2002 to 2013). When it was traded in at Rector, against the P4S :
I put back the OEM 17” “10 spokes”. (Yes, ..wrong badge !)

Once, I tried a set (that I still have) of wheels from a Turbo, (fronts are fine), but rears, (18x11 ET45) does stick out, as this was a C4 (narrow body). I felt it is interesting to show what’s up if you put these Turbo Twist Hollow wheels on a narrow body !
Not very elegant, I removed them, and I found a set of Turbo Twist (not hollow !) that did fit “correctly”).

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 01-29-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:37 AM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think I forgot the 911 for good, and even if the new ones (991) looks beautiful to my eyes.
Not because of the Panamera, that I still enjoy to the max, i.e.: as a "miles eater", but, also thanks to the Old Boxster S (2001) that I just bought ..that is simply fantastic.
A better handling that any 911 that I did own, but, for sure, ..the Boxster have very limited room/space to "store" anything on it.
In my opinion the switch from a 911 to a Panamera plus a Boxster is more than a great deal. A kind of a move from a "compromise" to "two perfect" cars !
Well, it is true that the Boxster with its Bilstein PSS9 on each corner has a diving feel that is closer to a go-kart than a car, this, while the Panamera looks like :

Copyright : unknown, photo found over the net !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 03-31-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:28 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some photos of the "stick shift - no roof" animal, that complement so well the "flying carpet" :

PSS9 on each corners, GT3 type adjustable control arms on the front, (negative camber, i.e.: ready for sticky tires), new pads, new rotors, new tires, ..that I will change against Nitto NT01 soon.
(Also, new roof, new clutch, ..but, still the OEM IMSB !! ..but this, not for very long.)

This is a better feel than a 911 to drive, extremely stiff (opposite of the P4S) and I enjoy the quality of the chassis, ..having the engine at the right place.
It only lacks some juice ! (But, I think, this "problem" can be fixed, it already has the "4.0 strips", so, may be this is a sign that...)

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 03-31-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:31 PM
993Mpls
User

GVA-SFO: Thanks for posting all this! I just read it cover-to-cover. I'm starting to think about a new daily driver, and have been thinking (used) Cayenne, but now might need to consider a (used) Panamera as well. My summertime DD is a 1995 911 C4, which hopefully can come out of winter storage in the next few weeks. My current year-round driver is a Mazda Protege5 (which has been absolutely reliable, a great car) and we also have an old Chevy S-10.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:18 PM
thereader
User

That is a fine looking Boxster. Has a nice tough stance. Looks like a track star..
Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

These last days, I was commuting from the Bay to the City (San Francisco) on a daily base, driving normally, (like a peaceful commuter) and, did again over 500 miles with a single gas tank.
This do impress me a lot, for a 400 hp car of this kind of weight and having permanent 4 wheels drive.
No doubt : the only good place to appreciate a Panamera to the max, is the driver seat, when you own it.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some personal words about the new Panamera’s, S and 4S :
May be Porsche will pay less taxes / CAFE with the new S being a V6 Turbo, ..but one very little thing is for sure, they are fully loosing me as a potential customer to upgrade my 4S (V8) against any a Panamera V6 Turbo. (Period)
(I may simply go to Tesla, ..and with “that”, I will keep the feeling of a V8 torque !

And, ..it is pretty much the same for our Cayenne S, ..if (big chances of), that the new S are going to be V6t, then : ciao bello.

It looks to me that the latest US sales figures of the Panamera are already lower than a year ago. Shall I think that I’m not the only one thinking like that ???

Hmmm, another question : What did happen to the US sales of Mother VW, i.e.: the Touareg, ..since the V8 have been discontinued in the USA ?

In summary, I think the good idea was to have the V6t in the Hybrid, but for a brand like Porsche, to downgrade the PS and P4S to a V6t, ..imo, it was a great marketing mistake, ..or simply a total lack of marketing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: