Notices

Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !

Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 AM
cole328
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, since a Panamera with a "stick" is not a current possibility, I say get the Tech art wheel. You spent a ton of money on this car, and you should enjoy driving it every second. I have a Panny GTS on order for April delivery, and I got the sport steering wheel. After having two M3's with DCT, and PROPER paddles, there was no way that I was going to settle for the goofy buttons on the MF wheel. After all, this is a sports car (sedan)!

Good luck
Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 AM
MJBird993
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few thoughts (I too once had an '02 996 cab):

- the car goes from manual back to automatic shift mode after 8 seconds of driving like an old man. If you are downshifting 8 seconds before you need it, you are downshifting too early.
- learn to appreciate (if you can) the positive attributes of the PDK. Stop & go traffic is when I appreciate it.
- I agree that the fake tailpipe is a bit cheesy, but it does look good.
- do what I did (6 months after buying the Panamera) and buy one of these (see right object in picture below) with a proper transmission. No, the roof won't go down, but it's pretty nice in other respects.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Cpa4S
User

i drove a motor bike and my M# had the up shift down shift the reverse of Porsche - you can't tell me that you won't pick up on that in a very short time? can't beleive that you will always revert back to the sequential you have used before.

left foot brake, use the computer brain in your head to decide when to shift the PDK in manual mode.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks to both Cole328 and MJBird993, your answers are both full of good senses.
For info, in the overall, I’m extremely happy with my P4S.

@Cole328, your choice, going to the GTS, is very clever. Imo, most probably the “best” P.
And @MJBird993, yes, with room in the garage, a slot for a wild one, is one of the greatest solution, no doubt.

Btw, about a “wild one”, ..and a kind of a winning pair, do any of you ever made a good trial with a MP4-12C ?
(If no, I would more than seriously recommend such test. OK in the $ side, 1xMcL= 2xP, but, I think ..you then get more than 2xP.
I.e.: with a Mcl, the 2 “REAL” switches (Handling & Power), each, having 3 positions (normal-sport-track) gives you a REAL set of differences, and thus, you get more than 2 different cars ! (i.e.: an MP4-12C in “track-track” mode is a completely different animal that an MP4-12C in “normal-normal” mode, which any grandma can drive to pick up groceries, ..ok, I agree, : ..this, only if she is able to climb in !!!

Back to PDK, do not get me wrong about PDK, my problems are (only) :
1) The commands (these standard “clickers”).
2) The fact that on a sport road car, I prefer (it is simply personal) a standard stick shift.

I.e.: like that, to visualize my simple “wish” : (this is only an European standard production car)

Btw, Porsche just announced in Geneva the new GT3, 991 based, ..with PDK (only), and to be accurate, ..I’m highly convinced that ..this is where PDK could be at its best : in a track car.
So, about the GT3, after this great gearbox evolution, my last feeling to make it as it should be (IMO), is simply to use the empty room on the back of the 2 front seats, (i.e.: where we have the emergency back seats on any regular 911) to put the 6 cylinders that hangs far out on the back (as per the original design, ..simply to give room for 2 emergency seats !)
I suppose “they” have the knowledge to do that in Stuttgart, I just do not know why they are still waiting for this “GT1” (mod).
Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

@Cpa4S : I’m not a biker at all, but I would be very curious to know : Are all the gear boxes of the bikes the same ?
I.e.: from neutral, you kick up, ..and you are in 1st, then, you kick down, and get the 2nd, and down again, you get the 3rd, and etc.. This, while kicking up, would downshift one ?

At least, in the old time, I tried a few, like a Matchless 500, that I had to “fun” in the field in the country, were I grow up, or later, a Honda 250 trial, or, the last one, a CB 750, of a good friend, that I had the pleasure to try few times of the road.
If I remember well, all these English, Japanese, ..had all the same gearbox scheme !
Is it still the same these days ?

If answer is no : ..Who is the “PDKer” of the bikes ?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 AM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

MJBird993 wrote :
I agree that the fake tailpipe is a bit cheesy, but it does look good.
Well, the positive thing about it, is that at least one of each, ..do remain pretty clean all the time !
Old 03-09-2013, 10:28 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some information, after about 1’500 miles driven, that shows the great efficiency of the engine :
(In terms of real $ value, I do not think it is relevant, as for such type of car, the lost in valuation (per mile) do represent an amount ..that is much larger than the cost of the gas !)

Driving around town, about 19 mpg (12.5 l/100km)
Freeway at legal speeds : better than 21 mpg (11.2 l/100km)
I.e: one tank last for more than 500 miles.
..Quite a nice performance for a car of this weight !

I did not expected this at all !
Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 AM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any of you got the Techart Paddle kit ? (On the "multi-function" steering wheel.)

I would be interested to know how much room/usability remain, between the paddles and the original commands, i.e.: turn signal, cruise control, etc..
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

In my first post on this topic, I was asking :
What should I expect and what I should know about it ?
Is it like the Cayenne S, were for example, the water pipes in the center of the V (under the manifold), are they also in plastic and will brake in about 60 to 80’000 miles, and let go the coolant in order to ruin the starter ?
..and, I got no responses !

Well, ..2'000 miles and 3 weeks after this post : just back at home with temps and oil pressure all normal, contact off, ..and after some time, a big bad smell in the garage.

Sniffing around like a dog (where that smell come from ?) ..opening the hood, and finding ..all wet and smelly down there. With more liquid, ..in the front, on the center of the V. So, I touched the top pipe, and no doubt, it was like loose, i.e.: like unconnected or broken.

Called Porsche Assistance, had a very good dialog.
45 minutes later, flat bed truck present, easy load to truck, and drive to dealer, about 30 minute away.
Diagnostic confirmed : Coolant pipe.

Shall I say, that after different tentative to “pull the truth”, (i.e.: like asking your dentist if “this” is going to hurt !), I finally end up to get a timid “Yes, this is not the first one”.

Better to have a CPO, otherwise, removing the intake manifold, to change these pipes, and, if this is the same as the Cayenne : changing the starter that got a good shower with a corrosive liquid, ..that may also have gone at “other places” !, the bill without CPO ..could be another shower, much colder !)

Well, in the case of the V8 of the Panamera, the pipes are made of good material, but it seems that they are joined together with a glue, ..that in some cases, ..simply do not last !!

At least, happy to have a CPO car, with towing service, and ..a courtesy car !
..An Audi S4, ..with that “V6 Turbo”, i.e.: the same one as some rumors says that we may find it ..in the next generation of Panamera S. ..instead of the V8.
So, definitively less happy to drive an S4 over the weekend, and the beg of next week ..than my 4S !
Old 03-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Randy V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where's the pics?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 AM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

You mean pics of the car ?
If this is the case, here is one taken during the first week end, taken next to the Sacramento River (waiting for the ferry), were, before this stop, I got some mosquitoes that had hard landing on the front of the car !

By the way, about mosquitoes, (a bit off topic) : Do you know how to recognize an happy biker ?
..Easy: he has mosquitoes sticking on his front teeth !

Now, if you were asking for pics of the "flooded" engine compartment, sorry, I have none. I forgot to do that.
I was too disturbed by calling P Assistance, getting a slot at the dealer to bring it in before 4PM, on that Friday afternoon, as I really wanted to have a "Engine compartment detailing", right away, ..to get read of that corroding liquid ! (I think some are using this liquid as paint remover !)

By the way, still driving an S4 (really not comfy at all, I think it is a lot worse than my former 996 !!) and with an engine, that is quite powerful, ..but feels like a land mower. I do not think it is needed to say that I do really do not like the gear box, the only things that is better than the P4S are the wheel paddles shifters). My dealer is still waiting for the parts, (pipes NOT in stock, ..or, it looks like this is not a so common event !).
I should get it back by this Thursday !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 03-26-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Cpa4S
User

what steering wheel is that - olive wood?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, "Tineo", ..or, scientifically: "Weinmannia trichosperma" !
(see : http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wei...a_trichosperma)
It is quite beautiful (to my eyes). It make me think about the color of the dash wood of the very first 911S.
Btw, do anybody knows what type of wood it was ?)

I will post a photo of the interior, I just got it back from the Coolant pipes blow-up ! (manuf. warranty hopefully)

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 03-29-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 PM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

As a kind of report about the event, the coolant pipes, are now in aluminum, but are in two separate pieces, with a kind of joint in the middle (under the manifold, in the center of the V), and these joints are glued together. In my case, the glue broke off, and the main pipe did "pop-out" of the joint, to let the coolant go, all over the place. In the fix of the event, both pipe were "re-glued" using a brand new pipe kit from the factory.
To "do" that, the manifold had to be removed. Mileage was about 25'700.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 04-09-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 AM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just to remember that it is a pretty large car :

(Laguna Seca with the great friends of the GGLC, the 3rd of Apr.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: