Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Opinions Pls! New Panny GTS or Used Panny Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=shldrdoc993;9305679 Now. If I could convince wife to have four cars one for her and three basically for me it would be on a lift above my pana gts. [/QUOTE]

can i ever identify on this one - kind of hard to say our spouses are being unfair, i just wish they understood the total merits of our position. if we could help them understand the nuances of what each machine delivered they would understand it is not just 3 cars

Last edited by Cpa4S; 03-05-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by shldrdoc993
If I could convince wife to have four cars one for her and three basically for me it would be on a lift above my pana gts.
Try harder, it is do-able.

Tell her it is like her handbags and shoes. They may look the same, but each is very different as well.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:54 AM
Albert222
5th Gear

GTS and Turbo both are simply awesome. According to my opinion you must prefer the brand new one rather than that of a used car.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:08 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an opportunity to drive the new Pan GTS this sunday...all I can say is wowzers! I drove the Turbo a few weeks ago, and while it was fast (of course), it was soo smooth and quiet, that I felt disengaged. From the moment I fired up the GTS however, and heard that bark from the sports exhaust, I knew it was different. Drove amazingly well, PLENTY fast for a DD, and the fit/finish was incredible. Plus, it was different enough from all of the other Pan's in just the right way. When my lease is up, I'll be taking down a new GTS for sure.

get one
Old 03-06-2012, 11:50 AM
toejam357
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default turbo!

Unless you need any of the new features added since my2010 or options missing in the used turbo, go with the turbo.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:36 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

For me, if I'm spending this kind of money, I want to order the car EXACTLY to my specifications. That's the big advantage to getting (ordering) a new car. Unless the Turbo has everything you want, and nothing you don't want, then I would order the new car.

Here's another way to think of it -if you look at what's exclusive to the GTS vs the Turbo:

The GTS has N/A engine end response, better gas mileage, higher redline, better exhaust/engine sound, lighter car, better PDK shifts, tighter suspension, alcantara interior.

The Turbo has an extra 70 HP.

I'd get the GTS even if I could get a new Turbo for the same price, but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default GTS

Interesting. I'm first in line for the new M5 at my dealer and now might consider the GTS for the reasons you mention. After taking a test drive in an S I assumed that I would not be satisfied in anything but a Turbo or TS. My mind is coming around on this thought although I'll need some time in the new M5 as well. I'm not so sure I need AWD in SoCal.

Last edited by NelsonF; 03-27-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:32 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Originally Posted by NelsonF
Interesting. I'm first in line for the new M5 at my dealer and now might consider the GTS for the reasons you mention. After taking a test drive in an S I assumed that I would not be satisfied in anything but a Turbo or TS. My mind is coming around on this thought although I'll need some time in the new M5 as well. I'm not so sure I need AWD in SoCal.
I just finished a round trip Cinti-Chicago in the GTS, and what a car! Here's my take on the GTS vs the Turbo. If you're looking for the best handling and sounding car with probably the best 'sports car' feel of any of the Panny line, get the GTS. If you lean more towards a luxury rocket, and get more kicks stomping on the go pedal than through the steering wheel, then get the Turbo.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by umwolverine
If you're looking for the best handling and sounding car with probably the best 'sports car' feel of any of the Panny line, get the GTS. If you lean more towards a luxury rocket, and get more kicks stomping on the go pedal than through the steering wheel, then get the Turbo.

This captures in just a few words the precise conclusion I reached and I think is the key to making a decision of getting a GTS versus the PTT.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
This captures in just a few words the precise conclusion I reached and I think is the key to making a decision of getting a GTS versus the PTT.
Having just test driven both this past month, I 1000% agree I went in thinking I would want the Turbo, but after the drivem, that GTS had my heart. It was awesome
Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 PM
umwolverine
Racer

I have to say, the exhaust sound in 'sport plus' is the best sounding stock exhaust I've heard this side of an Italian exotic. It sounds like a race car pulling away from a stop at 1/3 throttle. Can't wait to hear it when I can really push it.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:00 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by umwolverine
I think the GTS will be the most entertaining car to drive every day for sure. They have made a number of changes that are unique to the GTS - specifically the higher revving n.a. engine, larger air intakes, the Sound Symposer and revision to the PDK software to give an even better exhaust note. Evidently they have also modified the 4WD to give more rear wheel bias for the GTS and they have modified the PDK to give even quicker shifts. Here's a recent quote:

"It's really fun to drive," said Porsche's head of research and development, Wolfgang Hatz, also confirming there are various software changes including revisions to the four-wheel-drive system to give it more rear bias, as well as faster, harder gear shifts through the standard seven-speed PDK twin-clutch automatic.
Reviving a really old thread since I am in the same boat. Also there were a refresh in 2014. Does the GTS still have advantage over turbo in terms of quicker PDK shifts, rear wheel bias? I want to buy the one which scores higher on fun and handling part.

IMO, sound of the GTS balances out the power differential of Turbo. Perhaps it can over-compensate depending on the day and mood.
I have to pull the trigger in few weeks. I am also noticing that 2014-15 Turbo is about 5-10K more expensive than GTS.

So I am kinda leaning towards GTS. And at times I get reminded of the power differential which brings Turbo back into the thought process
Old 09-07-2018, 02:05 PM
pieter97
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

GTS
No question about it.
Every time I drive my GTS I have a smile on my face. It is the only thing that keeps me from insanity in my ~1 hour commute in south FL.
My GTS is a 2013 with now 65k miles, and I have hardly had any mechinal issues.
If I were to buy another car, I would trade for a newer GTS, 2016.
I simply cannot get enough of the exhaust note. My dogs jump up and start barking when I come home, and the car downshifts in our drive way, and that's well over 100 yards from the garage. When I start the car in the morning (in the garage), it is loud and it sounds like the roof-shingles jump up!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:07 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After closely evaluating both GTS and Turbo, including couple of test drives in both - my vote goes to the GTS. Turbo is definitely very fast, pulls like a brute. It's a luxury rocket. However, it feels isolated, quiet and disconnected. It lacks the 'feel'.

GTS feels extremely precise, very planted and responsive. Exhaust note adds so much to the overall experience. Interior also feels more special with a sporty treatment consisting of alcantara seats, sport wheel with the nice paddle shifters. Sure, I would have liked it to be faster. It provides a driving experience closest to supercars like Cali-30/FF. Really brings out the passion for driving.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:16 PM
jrjunior31
Advanced

Originally Posted by rajctt
GTS feels extremely precise, very planted and responsive. Exhaust note adds so much to the overall experience. Interior also feels more special with a sporty treatment consisting of alcantara seats, sport wheel with the nice paddle shifters. Sure, I would have liked it to be faster. It provides a driving experience closest to supercars like Cali-30/FF. Really brings out the passion for driving.
The GTS Interior Package is not available on the Turbo if that helps your decision at all. It does add a more racing inspired element, the stitching is gorgeous. Here’s some shots of the Carmine GTS interior from my ‘15 GTS...

Quick Reply: Opinions Pls! New Panny GTS or Used Panny Turbo?