Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Porsche Sales up 137%, thanks Panamera!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:46 PM
vtc4198
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Sales up 137%, thanks Panamera!

And wait till the new 928 comes out!
Porsche will be up even more
http://www.motorintelligence.com/m_frameset.html
Click new vehicle sales data

Porsche Cars N.A. Inc. 2,141 902 137.4%
Total Cars . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,645 627 162.4%
Old 07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Are those actual cars that have been sold to customers or cars that are sold to dealers....? My dealer still has theres on the lot.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:00 PM
anonymousagain
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

says "Retail Sales".

wonder how long until Saab finally gets jettisoned by GM....
Old 07-01-2010, 08:07 PM
NoVector
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

And Cayenne sales are down 40% this year (CYTD); assuming that's the "light truck". A friend of mine thinks Porsche underestimated how much the Panamera would appeal to women. I think he might be right--a 4-door family hauler that's sporty but isn't an SUV.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 PM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^
That may be true, but the fact is there are damn few people who are willing to spend $100k on a 4 door car of ANY kind! Let alone a not overly attractive PanAm... My dealer has 8 of them parked out front and a bunch more out back! The one they let me borrow a few months ago was a 2S with a window sticker of $110k! OMG!!! SERIOUSLY?!

Oh, and Porsche expects to sell 20,000 world wide a year! HA! DREAM ON!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NoVector
And Cayenne sales are down 40% this year (CYTD); assuming that's the "light truck".
Prolly has a lot to do with the fact there was a completely new model for MY 2011.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcar928fan
^^^^
That may be true, but the fact is there are damn few people who are willing to spend $100k on a 4 door car of ANY kind! Let alone a not overly attractive PanAm... My dealer has 8 of them parked out front and a bunch more out back! The one they let me borrow a few months ago was a 2S with a window sticker of $110k! OMG!!! SERIOUSLY?!

Oh, and Porsche expects to sell 20,000 world wide a year! HA! DREAM ON!!!
20,000 will undoubtedly happen; especially with the intro of the 6 popper. With emerging markets like China the good ole US of A will shortly be an afterthought for Porsche.

I have to respectfully disagree with you regarding your opinion on the styling of Panamera. My wife and I have had 60+ cars and NONE have drawn the kind of attention this one has. People snapping cell phone pics in traffic, getting thumbs up from other drivers, people at the grocery store come up and ask about it. When we take it to dinner the valet's wave us to the park in front of the restaurant...... It's funny, most of the people who do not like it are "Porsche" enthusiasts. The car has a presence that does not show up in pics.

Tell me this is not a great looking car....

Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Chuck,

Your car looks great, but Porsche is DREAMING on the 20k cars a year front! That would mean over 10,000 would have to be sold here in the US (we are still more than 50% of P's total business) and if the economy does not get better (and FAST) they will be lucky to sell 5000 cars. Keep in mind that for Porsche the biggest sales year is usually the first year and/or a big model change improvement year...

Time will tell, but my bet is they will NOT sell 20,000 PanAm's a year ANY year in the next 6 or maybe more... just my guess.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

James,

Porsche might not sell 20k Panameras but there will most certainly be more than 5k sold. Unlike the dealer in your area the dealer here has inventory that turns over regularly. Rarely do I go there and see the same Panameras that were there the last time I visited.

I know there is a raging debate about how Porsche counts sold cars but I thought I remembered hearing they've already sold 10,000 Panameras? Thought there was a picture of the 10,000th car rolling off the assembly line?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:56 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

WOW I'm surprised the auto market has recovered (as a whole) so quickly.....pretty much everyone is posting solid gains compared to the dismal year last year
Old 07-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar928fan
but Porsche is DREAMING on the 20k cars a year front! That would mean over 10,000 would have to be sold here in the US (we are still more than 50% of P's total business) and if the economy does not get better (and FAST) they will be lucky to sell 5000 cars. Keep in mind that for Porsche the biggest sales year is usually the first year and/or a big model change improvement year...

Time will tell, but my bet is they will NOT sell 20,000 PanAm's a year ANY year in the next 6 or maybe more... just my guess.
20000 cars/year are about 1650 per month though their worldwide dealer network. I don't know the total number of dealers, but my wild guess is there are at least 800, which means every dealer has to sell two per month.

You think that's not doable?

Also, you need to stop looking at your own micro-cosmos - in emerging markets, Porsche does not have the same history of only offering sports cars - because they haven't offered anything there in the past.

And people there are not quite as familiar with the fun of driving, and may look more for status, pratical needs, and cars that can withstand the conditions under which they are driving.

Panamera and Cayenne are crucial in those markets, to position the brand as an upscale brand and justify the cost of a dealer network. The sports cars have a much smaller market share in those environments.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Z
20,000 will undoubtedly happen; especially with the intro of the 6 popper. With emerging markets like China the good ole US of A will shortly be an afterthought for Porsche.

I have to respectfully disagree with you regarding your opinion on the styling of Panamera. My wife and I have had 60+ cars and NONE have drawn the kind of attention this one has. People snapping cell phone pics in traffic, getting thumbs up from other drivers, people at the grocery store come up and ask about it. When we take it to dinner the valet's wave us to the park in front of the restaurant...... It's funny, most of the people who do not like it are "Porsche" enthusiasts. The car has a presence that does not show up in pics.

Tell me this is not a great looking car....

Is this your car?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:23 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

They are flying off the lots here in DFW, this surprises me not. It's a fantastic car. If we buy the father-in-laws 500, I'll talk him in to the Panamera.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Is this your car?
.....uh, why?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 PM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Well, I guess time will tell Nicole... I was simply comparing it to the M5's etc...I think they sell about 20k M5's per year (maybe more even) and as ugly as that car is the PanAm certainly does not have anything on it in the looks dept and costs like $40k more for the same performance. The M5 compares to the PanAm Turbo in performance IIRC and the M5's are in the $80k range...that is the price of the V6 PanAm's I have seen! Emerging markets are fine too, but the US is STILL 52-55% of ALL Porsche business. They call them emerging for a reason, it will take much time for them to be a HUGE input to the P-car bottom line. The US still drives the boat for Porsche, as much as they hate that.

Chuck, I was just reading about them and you are right 10,000 came off the line recently. Of that number 9,000 were PRE-ORDERED! So, yea, they should be turning off the lots fast for now. The REAL test is NEXT YEAR when all orders are filled and they are just there for the taking...will anyone?

I am just saying the first year is always an interesting one for P-cars and it is what happens down the road that will make the difference. My prediction...20k a year worldwide...not gonna happen. Just like the 928 never took the place of the 911.

We will see. If I am wrong I will be more than happy to say I was wrong and will be so glad to see Porsche making a ton of money and some great cars. Heck if they do sell that many maybe they will step back up to the top class of racing at LeMans or even do something with F1 again...I'd LOVE to see that!

Quick Reply: Porsche Sales up 137%, thanks Panamera!