Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Porsche Sales up 137%, thanks Panamera!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ Thanks Rick! I was actually one of the guys who posted after seeing the initial pics that "I would NEVER have one" b/c it was SO ugly.... THEN, I saw one and drove one.... That was all she wrote!!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Tom. M
Deleted
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Z
Thanks Tom. Couldn't have gone on without your thoughts on this one. You and I seem to disagree on about everything don't we........ Happy 4th!
Haha...not necessarily everything ... We both do like the 928

Now our uses of our 928's couldn't be more different..but that's OK too....

I think Porsche will get more aggressive in their Panamera Styling over the next few years..kinda like the Cayenne..The latest variant looks really nice I think compared to the original...
Old 07-03-2010, 08:45 PM
redpathtribe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck Z
^^^ Thanks Rick! I was actually one of the guys who posted after seeing the initial pics that "I would NEVER have one" b/c it was SO ugly.... THEN, I saw one and drove one.... That was all she wrote!!
Since we're having true confessions here...

I've been a car nut since high school (and even before), but had always thought the 928 looked "bulbous" and didn't really like it compared to other cars of the day that were more wedge shaped and mid-engined like Ferrari's, Pantera's, Lambo's, etc. Then one day, still many years ago, coming out of the mall, I saw a 928 with nice aftermarket narrow 5 spoke wheels on it (OZ?) and thought, wow, these really are nice looking cars. Fast forward to 2000 and a buddy of mine, Dino, (Chuck, I think you know this guy and looked at his black 88 S4 5-spd. at one time) who had 3 Ferrari's also had an 88 S4 5-spd. and said it was a fantastic car. And as Chuck said, then I drove one... and WOW! As beautiful as I now think 928's are, I think it was those 5 spoke wheels that gave me the push I needed way back when... probably why I still think wheels really transform the looks of 928's more than most cars.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom. M
Haha...not necessarily everything ... We both do like the 928

Now our uses of our 928's couldn't be more different..but that's OK too....

I think Porsche will get more aggressive in their Panamera Styling over the next few years..kinda like the Cayenne..The latest variant looks really nice I think compared to the original...
Ha! True statement! We've actually gotten a little closer together on our uses of the 28 too! Did you see where I actually modified my GTS just a bit???? I still don't drive it a bazillion miles per year but I do drive it more than in the past.... I also sold Kermit b/c if I'm going have cars, I'm going to drive them........ albeit not as much as you might

I love the Cayenne too. We've had 3 of the 955 body style and are prolly going to order a paint to sample CTT in the spring. I liked the old body style and I like the revisions too.

We do still disagree on the Panny however. I've washed our's several and the rear haunches (sp?) really remind me of the 928. It's a very unique looking car that has a presence about it (there were actually a couple people who made that comment today) that just doesn't translate in pics.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redpathtribe
Since we're having true confessions here...

I've been a car nut since high school (and even before), but had always thought the 928 looked "bulbous" and didn't really like it compared to other cars of the day that were more wedge shaped and mid-engined like Ferrari's, Pantera's, Lambo's, etc. Then one day, still many years ago, coming out of the mall, I saw a 928 with nice aftermarket narrow 5 spoke wheels on it (OZ?) and thought, wow, these really are nice looking cars. Fast forward to 2000 and a buddy of mine, Dino, (Chuck, I think you know this guy and looked at his black 88 S4 5-spd. at one time) who had 3 Ferrari's also had an 88 S4 5-spd. and said it was a fantastic car. And as Chuck said, then I drove one... and WOW! As beautiful as I now think 928's are, I think it was those 5 spoke wheels that gave me the push I needed way back when... probably why I still think wheels really transform the looks of 928's more than most cars.
Great story Rick! I've looked at so many 928s over the years I wonder which one that was??? I agree with you, wheels make the car....... I know I've posted this b/f but, I LOVE the wheels on your's! They really fit the style of the 928!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom. M
Now here is what the 4 door Porsche should have looked like
The Aston is beautiful - no doubt. But it's much, much smaller in the interior. You could not sit there in the back, and the trunk is a fraction of what it is in the Panamera. The Aston is also a lot more expensive.

So, I don't think they will cannibalize each others' sales very much.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nicole
The Aston is beautiful - no doubt. But it's much, much smaller in the interior. You could not sit there in the back, and the trunk is a fraction of what it is in the Panamera. The Aston is also a lot more expensive.

So, I don't think they will cannibalize each others' sales very much.
Not to mention the HUGE price diff....... The AM Rapide competes performance wise more with the 4S and the turbo dusts in pretty handily!
Old 07-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Tom928
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at Sunset Porsche a few days ago.
I mentioned the Panamera on the showroom floor to the parts guy. He made the comment that the Panamera's are selling better than they expected.
If I could, I would buy one without a moments hesitation; however, I would still need my 928
Old 07-04-2010, 05:26 PM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would need to sell a kidney... a good one... better not do that...I think I only have one good one left!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 PM
vtc4198
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JULY 2010 JULY 2009 % Change
Porsche Cars N.A. Inc. 2,703 1,544 75.1%
Total Cars . . . . . . . . . . . 1,793 1,003 78.8%
Total Light Trucks . . . . . . 910 541 68.2%
Old 08-06-2010, 01:18 AM
James Bailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Head south toward San Diego today driving the Touareg (stealth Cayenne) passed a Boxster a bit later notice him coming up in the far right lane as he passed I noticed it was a 4 door , a Turbo Panamera ...... sorry still a very unattractive car to me. And she was only going 5 MPH faster than I was in my < $15,000 model 2004 but I do have the 6 cylinder engine !
Old 08-06-2010, 03:36 AM
Maleficio
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did I just read this whole thread?

The 928 was derivative of NOTHING before it.

A new 928 will be completely derivative, thus a complete failure.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sales up 137%, thanks Panamera!