Porsche Sales up 137%, thanks Panamera!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar928fan
Well, I guess time will tell Nicole... I was simply comparing it to the M5's etc...I think they sell about 20k M5's per year (maybe more even) and as ugly as that car is the PanAm certainly does not have anything on it in the looks dept and costs like $40k more for the same performance. The M5 compares to the PanAm Turbo in performance IIRC and the M5's are in the $80k range...that is the price of the V6 PanAm's I have seen! Emerging markets are fine too, but the US is STILL 52-55% of ALL Porsche business. They call them emerging for a reason, it will take much time for them to be a HUGE input to the P-car bottom line. The US still drives the boat for Porsche, as much as they hate that.

Chuck, I was just reading about them and you are right 10,000 came off the line recently. Of that number 9,000 were PRE-ORDERED! So, yea, they should be turning off the lots fast for now. The REAL test is NEXT YEAR when all orders are filled and they are just there for the taking...will anyone?

I am just saying the first year is always an interesting one for P-cars and it is what happens down the road that will make the difference. My prediction...20k a year worldwide...not gonna happen. Just like the 928 never took the place of the 911.

We will see. If I am wrong I will be more than happy to say I was wrong and will be so glad to see Porsche making a ton of money and some great cars. Heck if they do sell that many maybe they will step back up to the top class of racing at LeMans or even do something with F1 again...I'd LOVE to see that!
Thought so on the 10,000 Panameras.... Porsche is already selling 2011 models. You are correct that if the economy dips again it will impact sales but I still think they'll sell.

Just looked at autotrader.com and there are new M5s with MSRP of $90-100k+....... The problem with the M5 is the trans - people HATE it.

James, your thought process is the same argument folks made when the Cayenne came out.... Look at how important it is now to Porsches lineup.

I think you're wrong.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Z
.....uh, why?
Wow.. dont have to get defensive. From your wording you acted like you owned it. My apologies..
Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chuck,

I hope I am because that will make for a much stronger Porsche, though now that they are owned by VW it hardly matters anymore...but still a strong Porsche will make for better and more sports cars in the long run and maybe some great race cars too.

As noted, only time will tell.

I agree w/ you on the Cayenne Chuck, and I never doubted that would sell well. The new one is REALLY NICE TOO! I think (much like the Boxster I might add) that it looks like it SHOULD have looked at first when it came out! Maybe that will be the case for the PanAm too.

Dan, he does own it...that is Chuck's PanAm...a VERY NICE one that looks particularly good from the front I might add!

BTW Chuck, those wheels TOTALLY MAKE your car! That was a GREAT choice!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
goodspeed928
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super cars are OFF 60% world wide!!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Wow.. dont have to get defensive. From your wording you acted like you owned it. My apologies..
Then why did you ask..... Not defensive at all, I was only responding in the same manner as your question. Yes, it's mine.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Z
Then why did you ask..... Not defensive at all, I was only responding in the same manner as your question. Yes, it's mine.
Don't want to start a pissing match.. but I'm not the one that responded with "...uh, Why?"

I was just going to say I like the color. Sorry!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW Chuck, those wheels TOTALLY MAKE your car! That was a GREAT choice!
Thanks James, I agree. We also put hyper silver vents on the front fenders from the turbo. You should have seen it with the fugly 18s that came on the car..... My wife said she didn't even want to see it b/c it would have marked for life!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Don't want to start a pissing match.. but I'm not the one that responded with "...uh, Why?"

I was just going to say I like the color. Sorry!
There won't be a pissin match but, your question was: Is that your car? Didn't really know why you were asking.... It's really not that big of a deal is it?

Thanks on the color. Rarely see them in any color besides silver, black or white.......
Old 07-01-2010, 11:43 PM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chuck, you are correct on the color front...When I borrowed a white one from our dealer they had 5 other white ones left on the lot! The others were silver and black! LOL! I think they have a blue one up there now...don't think it is the color of yours though.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chuck, you are correct on the color front...When I borrowed a white one from our dealer they had 5 other white ones left on the lot! The others were silver and black! LOL! I think they have a blue one up there now...don't think it is the color of yours though.
Prolly Yachting Blue.... I do a search from time to time for aqua blue and there are only a couple FS in the entire country right now. Couple in CA and one at Ellis in Atlanta. Yachting blue was the launch car color and there are quite a few of that color out there too. Relatively speaking that is.

[edit] some pics of the inside:

and couple more of the outside:

Old 07-02-2010, 12:20 AM
fbarnhill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I guess I am one of the odd men out, but I love the darn thing. I think it is beautiful. I passed one the other day on the highway and couldn't take my eyes off it. It was a dark gray or silver. The lines are awsome and I believe it will be very successful.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Bill Ball
Under the Lift
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

This may have changed since I last looked many years ago, but I recall the stat that 2/3rds (er, maybe that was 1/3rd - anyway, a lot) of all Porsches sold in America reside in SoCal. I was down there a few weeks ago and Panameras were running around like SUVs up where I live.

I hope they sell well. What sells these cars is not perfect styling but a complete package that appeals to people. The Panamera is the closest thing to a 4-seat track car as there has ever been. My wife insisted my mid-life crisis "sports" car have 4 seats. I cheated a little and counted the 928 rear seats. They were a lot closer to real rear seats than any other high performance sports car. With the Panamera I would not have to cheat at all. I think that may be what is selling these cars to family men (and women) who are tired of SUVs. But now that our kids are grown and gone, I'm really looking forward to the possibility of a 2-door version of the Panamera, whether it's called a 928 or something else. It would be a revival of the 928 in spirit if not in name, and I've had such a good time with my 928, it would be hard to resist.

Chuck's car is beautiful enough. If they had offered a rear designation and trim delete option, it would be even nicer. Regardless, a car that allows you to take 4 people out in comfort and blow their minds on some backroad twisties is pretty cool.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Maleficio
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bill Ball
This may have changed since I last looked many years ago, but I recall the stat that 2/3rds or all Porsches sold in America reside in SoCal. I was down there a few weeks ago and Panameras were running around like SUVs up where I live.

I hope they sell well. What sells these cars is not perfect styling but a complete package that appeals to people. The Panamera is the closest thing to a 4-seat track car as there has ever been. My wife insisted my mid-life crisis "sports" car have 4 seats. I cheated a little and counted the 928 rear seats. They were a lot closer to real rear seats than any other high performance sports car. With the Panamera I would not have to cheat at all. I think that may be what is selling these cars to family men (and women) who are tired of SUVs. But now that our kids are grown and gone, I'm really looking forward to the possibility of a 2-door version of the Panamera, whether it's called a 928 or something else. It would be a revival of the 928 in spirit if not in name, and I've had such a good time with my 928, it would be hard to resist.

Chuck's car is beautiful enough. If they had offered a rear designation and trim delete option, it would be even nicer. Regardless, a car that allows you to take 4 people out in comfort and blow their minds on some backroad twisties is pretty cool.

Maybe they can call it "P28".
Old 07-02-2010, 01:01 AM
MattCarp
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Looking at the car online, I had to get used to it, but when I actually sat in one at the dealer and fired it up, it was exciting.

Not that anyone is asking, but my reactions:

- The center console is a bit big and heavy
- Headrest styling was a little distracting
- Wheelbase seems just a little too long
+ Has a great sound and feels pretty powerful (I didn't actually drive it)
+ Build quality seems really good; it's what you'd expect

I prefer the 928 styling - a little more compact and sporty looking. However, the Panamera is a nice car. I do think the styling grows on you. For me, when I first saw a 928, the styling was so unique and so smooth, it was love at first sight!

After you have a 928 () I think the question is, what else would you consider in the same class? 750? S-class?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:18 AM
losdeanos
Rennlist Member

I drove one when i was getting my car from the dealer. All I know is form the drivers seat they are pretty sweet, looks aside they are a fun driving 4 door.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sales up 137%, thanks Panamera!