Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

EVO: Panamera Turbo v Quattroporte S v Jaguar XFR

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you over react, I've seen no vitriol here, nothing more strident than your posts.

I'll agree, for all of us, but we all still will post our thoughts as they evolve, and they might be negative.

I could care less if you buy a Turbo. Your sensibilities are different than mine.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Why are people so caught up in paper statistics? The clear message here is that the panamera is big, fat, ugly, offers an uninvolving and sterile driving experience, and has no business being called a Porsche. Again I offer the example of dropping a 500 cubic inch V8 in a Ford Taurus - it DOES NOT MAKE IT A SPORTSCAR just because it's fast. And it certainly doesn't make it a Porsche in the same spirit as the great cars that built the Porsche heritage over the past 50 years. It's a pathetic departure from Porsche's roots, fueled almost solely by Dr. W's insane ego and quest for short-term profits at the expense of the purity of the brand. Porsche will soon realize that as it enters the world of hum-drum automakers, it will start to lose buyers in droves due to brand dilution.
And you are the self appointed spokesperson to set people straight?
The purity of the brand was killed with the Cayenne already, Get over it because it's just going to get worse.

The Panamara is far from a sports car, but it is a great driving car, take it for what it is. I had a great time driving one and I just wish the manual trans would be offered here.
The car is far from uninvolved and sterile and despite it's less than stellar looks I would not mind having one to haul the family around in.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
And you are the self appointed spokesperson to set people straight?
The purity of the brand was killed with the Cayenne already, Get over it because it's just going to get worse.

The Panamara is far from a sports car, but it is a great driving car, take it for what it is. I had a great time driving one and I just wish the manual trans would be offered here.
The car is far from uninvolved and sterile and despite it's less than stellar looks I would not mind having one to haul the family around in.
Not to mention that there is discussion, with those buttholes from VW now at the helm, to put a simple four cylinder in the next generation Boxster. I really, really doubt that will happen because that would just be shooting themselves in the foot. For sure would not be a purely Porsche choice; far from it.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One observation on magazine motivations...EVO is oft held up as sooo pro Porsche (just count the number of Porsche held EVO Car of the Year's) to suggest a mercantile bias towards Jaguar, just makes me chuckle...

Metcalfe (he being the Editor) has a bias...its towards very fast, well handling, adroit machines....check the Pagani Zonda in his stable.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:01 AM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
One observation on magazine motivations...EVO is oft held up as sooo pro Porsche (just count the number of Porsche held EVO Car of the Year's) to suggest a mercantile bias towards Jaguar, just makes me chuckle...

Metcalfe (he being the Editor) has a bias...its towards very fast, well handling, adroit machines....check the Pagani Zonda in his stable.
I thought the exact same thing, I always thought the staff at EVO were Porsche employees, because of the regard they have for Porsche cars, rarely did they ever write a word of negativity towards a Porsche product.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:29 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
But a British magazine, doing a (nearly) British car review... then there is the Italian food to consider (on the freebie jaunts to Italy), and since they drink their beer warm.... the Germans had nothing of appeal this time!

Come on, it is only a magazine review and those silly guys can't even adopt from "paddle" shifters, so it is doubtful they could digest a whole new redefinition of a Sports sedan. Anyone who thinks the Maserati out performs the Panamera has a pretty skewed "driving" reference point and it isn't towards the performance side either. Can't say anything about the Jag since I haven't driven it.

Quick Reply: EVO: Panamera Turbo v Quattroporte S v Jaguar XFR