Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Porsche Panamera (Failure)

Old 05-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim

If any of you haters own Porsche and stay with making sport cars only, I can foresee that it will be out of business long time ago.
+1.

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
The same people who bought the Cayenne and Panamera ....
...and some of those "People" also own 911s...because there is a "Life" outside just driving a 911.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:37 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boxster, Cayman, Carrera, Cayenne, Panamera are all best driver's choice in each of the different classes of vehicle for which they target. Porsche design and engineering philosophy makes a Porsche a Porsche... not the badge on the hood.

Bunch of whining girls.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:46 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I must be missing something. Porsche hasn't stopped making 911's or Boxsters, or have i missed a news story? I don't know many businesses that don't need to adapt to market demand. Sticking with a narrow formula has been risky for some car makers. Morgan has been pure, but where did that get it? Lotus hung in by a thread. MG and Healy seem to have extinguished themselves. Ferrari, Maserati, and Aston have made 4 place cars. Why is it a problem for Porsche to make a 4 door?
If it feels better than a BMW or Benz, then people (like myself) will buy it. I don't really care if it is a car I dislike, but a suburban housewife drives one. I do care that Porsche stays in business, and if they feel this is a positive economic decision, then why disagree?
Nobody can count on a dot com bubble that lifted Porsche in the earliest part of this century. They used that lesson to diversify, and keep the doors open. I think that is good.
I also can't see how one can criticize a car until you actually see one and somebody tests it. I remember not liking the pictures of the BMW 850. I thought it looked like a Ford Probe. Then I saw a few, and drove one. Then I bought an 850I, then an 850CSI and loved both. On paper, you could say it was too heavy, the rear seats were non-functional, or the weight distribution was wrong. But, once the starter spins, once you cruise it on the highway, and once you crack it into a few turns, everything changes.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alas, some positive, sensible responses from enthusiasts. After all, it's not like the current 911 has the austerity, look, and feel of the early 911's.

I had a ride in a friends '04 Cayenne S over about 150 miles a couple of weeks ago and now I wish I would have picked up one of those over my second GX470.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Whisper
The Panamera, like the Cayenne, makes me sad. It was made to be polished, not driven.
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
You are obviously someone who has not driven, or if you had, do not know how to drive and handle a Cayenne well to say something like this.
"A junior Disaster Area accountant, visiting the shipyard where this ship was being constructed, had demanded to know of the works foreman why the hell they were fitting an extremely expensive teleport into a ship which only had one important journey to make, and that unmanned. The foreman had explained that the teleport was available at a ten per cent discount and the accountant had explained that this was immaterial; the foreman had explained that it was the finest, most powerful and sophisticated teleport that money could buy and the accountant had explained that the money did not wish to buy it; the foreman had explained that people would still need to enter and leave the ship and the accountant had explained that the ship sported a perfectly serviceable door; the foreman had explained that the accountant could go and boil his head and the accountant had explained to the foreman that the thing approaching him rapidly from his left was a knuckle sandwich. After the explanations had been concluded, work was discontinued on the teleport which subsequently passed unnoticed on the invoice as "Sund. explns." at five times the price."

Douglas Adams, "Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:25 PM
fxhomie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People criticizing the Panamera's looks need to first see it in the flesh before expressing their opinion. Yesterday, on my way up I-80 to the Sierras, I came upon the new VW CC. In pictures, the overall shape looks unbalanced. But in 3D, the car is gorgeous - a flat out hot looking car.

Likewise, I'll reserve my opinion until I see a Panamera with my own eyes. Conversely, some cars like the Toyota Matrix look bad either way!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:29 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

this thread is a giggle.

the OP obviously has not driven the car or even laid eyes on it. i have, and i will share some thoughts;

for the average import luxo owner, the likely response will be,"meh". his bay-em-veh 750/760 is bigger. for the average S550/S63 owner, the response will be, "i really like my three-pointed star hood ornament, makes me feel good".

but for the non-average luxo car owner (think one who can and does drive a car) who has been vainly searching for a luxo-cruiser that can rip without understeering/rolling to within an inch (literally) of its life... it will be, "jeeeezus, have i been waiting for this!!!"

as Stemer says, if you want a 911,buy one. ditto boxster, cayman or cayenne.

but if you want to transport four in comfort and luxury, and have a great time in the left-seat, this is THE ANSWER.

while ignorance can be bliss, it still looks silly to the educated eye.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fxhomie
People criticizing the Panamera's looks need to first see it in the flesh before expressing their opinion. Yesterday, on my way up I-80 to the Sierras, I came upon the new VW CC. In pictures, the overall shape looks unbalanced. But in 3D, the car is gorgeous - a flat out hot looking car.

Likewise, I'll reserve my opinion until I see a Panamera with my own eyes. Conversely, some cars like the Toyota Matrix look bad either way!
the CC is a very cool car and a great value! while i bought the Jetta for its express purpose (to and from work, anonymously and economically) i test-drove one and if i only had mid/high-30's money, this would be the ride!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Can't wait to drive one. I won't buy one at least for now but I like it. I also love my 928GTS and my Cayenne Turbo along with the 964's each is different and serves a purpose that I have a use for.

It looks to be a car that can be used unlike many of the other 4 door performance cars that are being released.

As far as the CC goes my neighbor just picked one up. Very impressive car in person unfortunately it did nothing to thrill behind the wheel, although for the $$ it is a lot of car. BTW he picked it up fully loaded every option for $26k
Old 05-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:16 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

"Boxster, Cayman, Carrera, Cayenne, Panamera are all best driver's choice in each of the different classes of vehicle for which they target."

I disagree. The Cayenne and the Panamera don't make the cut. Not even close.

Porsche design and engineering philosophy makes a Porsche a Porsche... not the badge on the hood.

I agree. That's what so sad about seeing them put the badge on everything from cheap stereos, fountain pens and golf clubs to toy bears, overpriced Toureags and hideous cars. All of those things- and the Panamera- aren't evocative of the Porsche design and engineering philosophy that the badge represents to me.

It's a vehicle made by marketers and advertisers for the sole purpose of profit. It's uglier than the competition, it doesn't perform any better than the competition and it costs more than the competition. But it does have a Porsche badge on it. Just like the teddy bear.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George from MD
"Boxster, Cayman, Carrera, Cayenne, Panamera are all best driver's choice in each of the different classes of vehicle for which they target."

I disagree. The Cayenne and the Panamera don't make the cut. Not even close.

Porsche design and engineering philosophy makes a Porsche a Porsche... not the badge on the hood.

I agree. That's what so sad about seeing them put the badge on everything from cheap stereos, fountain pens and golf clubs to toy bears, overpriced Toureags and hideous cars. All of those things- and the Panamera- aren't evocative of the Porsche design and engineering philosophy that the badge represents to me.

It's a vehicle made by marketers and advertisers for the sole purpose of profit. It's uglier than the competition, it doesn't perform any better than the competition and it costs more than the competition. But it does have a Porsche badge on it. Just like the teddy bear.
Have you ever driven a Cayenne Turbo?

Most people who haven't feel the same way. I hated it when I first saw it but fell in love with it after my first extensive drive. It is as much a Porsche as your 993 or any other 911. Porsche design and engineering philosophy makes a Porsche a Porsche... not the badge on the hood. The badge means nothing the car exudes Porsche design and engineering as much as any new 911 or old.

Simply put the Cayenne can handle as well and sorry to say out accelerate most 911's. The engine sings at high rpms and can do amazing things. I agree the tiptronic sucks but IMO they all do and when manually shifted it is like any other Porsche just a bit heavier which is to be expected. Take it out in heavy snow or off road and it performs equally as well in an area no 911 can think to venture. It is the most comfortable vehicle I have driven in inclement weather. Capable and comfortable of speeds in the rain or snow that I would never attempt in a 911 or doubt they could match.

So what part of that makes it less than a Porsche? I can't find anything to fault it by. Mine has been reliable and fun to drive, tows better than my Chevy and can maneuver through traffic like I am in a 911.

Am I saying it would replace my 911? Absolutely not. However, when I have to travel long distances with my family or large amounts of stuff it is there to do its job and put a smile on my face doing so. There isn't another vehicle of its type that I can say that about and i have driven the Audi and VW counterpart and they don't come close. Everything else except possibly the BMW falls further down the list and the BMW has even less usable space than the cayenne. If the fact that the vehicle shares parts with VW's or Audi's bothers you, you better look at your history because so do most of all your early 911's,914's, 924's, 944's, etc, etc.

This vehicle might not be for you but to discount it because it doesn't resemble a 911 is well....................................? IMO the Panamera fills a void for those that want to drive a car like a 911 but need the additional seating and don't have a need for an SUV.

So if you don't like it don't buy it but it is no less a Porsche in design of philosophy than the car you drive.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:42 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Yes I have driven a Cayenne Turbo. It's a wonderful SUV. But IMO it's not the driver's car for me- in fact I think it borders on pointless. I have an X5 4.8. IMO that SUV blows the Turbo away in terms of value for the $.

Ultimate performance figures in an SUV are not what I'm looking for. And a price north of 90 grand I will not pay. How much will it hold? How reliable is my local dealer? Does it handle well? Does it tow well? Does it have the features I'm looking for (bluetooth, a decent stereo, an option list that makes sense). Is it good looking? How much does it cost? The SUV should be towing the high performance car to the track!

I'm not ragging on the Cayenne. But I'd have my X (or a Toureag V10 diesel or a number of other choices) before I'd go plunk down what Porsche wants for a Cayenne Turbo. In fact I'd buy the Cayenne RS (or whatever they call it) with the lowered suspension and the manual tranny and save 20K at least.

That $20 plus K can buy a lot of mods or other things I'd rather have than ultimate SUV performance figures I'd never come close to using on a public road (mmm....two business class tickets to Bangkok and a nice house in Thailand for a few weeks, or some nice Dynaudio speakers or redo the deck in Trex etc.).

But if you like yours that's great! I'm sure it's a blast to drive.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George from MD
Yes I have driven a Cayenne Turbo. It's a wonderful SUV. But IMO it's not the driver's car for me- in fact I think it borders on pointless. I have an X5 4.8. IMO that SUV blows the Turbo away in terms of value for the $.

Ultimate performance figures in an SUV are not what I'm looking for. And a price north of 90 grand I will not pay. How much will it hold? How reliable is my local dealer? Does it handle well? Does it tow well? Does it have the features I'm looking for (bluetooth, a decent stereo, an option list that makes sense). Is it good looking? How much does it cost? The SUV should be towing the high performance car to the track!

I'm not ragging on the Cayenne. But I'd have my X (or a Toureag V10 diesel or a number of other choices) before I'd go plunk down what Porsche wants for a Cayenne Turbo. In fact I'd buy the Cayenne RS (or whatever they call it) with the lowered suspension and the manual tranny and save 20K at least.

That $20 plus K can buy a lot of mods or other things I'd rather have than ultimate SUV performance figures I'd never come close to using on a public road (mmm....two business class tickets to Bangkok and a nice house in Thailand for a few weeks, or some nice Dynaudio speakers or redo the deck in Trex etc.).

But if you like yours that's great! I'm sure it's a blast to drive.
George all is good however we weren't talking about $$ we were talking about what the car offers and if it performs like a Porsche. Price is not part of the equation otherwise we can argue that the GT2 is fabulous but at nearly $300k when upgraded to most drivers likes might as well........ etc etc. This argument can be had about many things but it doesn't make a Panamera or Cayenne any less a Porsche than any of the others. Hell for $100k the new 997 with PDK I could argue I can buy a 996TT and blow its doors off without mods etc. Or I can buy a GT-R and do the same but we don't do we? Why because we like Porsche's.

I have driven the BMW's they are the next best thing but not even close IMO. The MB is far worse and almost as much $$. The BMW doesn't perform in my book and after years of owning a multitude of BMW's I can assure you I will not buy another if it was the only car manufacturer left standing. (Which sadly might be the case)

there are many cars I would like to own but not at their $$. My friends F40 is a great car but I prefer my Turbo for hundreds of thousands less and it is more rare.

The argument here is is the Panamara a Porsche and will it appeal to the small market they are targeting. My guess would be Most Definitely.

BTW I purchased my CT new and had to pay very little after BMW purchased my lemon of a car back for almost full purchase value and 4 years of ownership. The 740IL was a great car if it would have been made correctly and didn't have inherent leaking issues. Although as far as driving pleasure it was like driving a limo and depreciated like any new car. like a lead balloon.

So performance might not be what you want from an SUV but I do and it ROCKS. It fills those months I had of Porscheless driving when my others are asleep for the winter or when I want a little fun when doing more than just weekend driving.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:04 PM
That Guy
Advanced

Bravo Anthony, very well said.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera (Failure)