Panamera 2010-Current

History repeat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 AM
pmo75
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default History repeat?

Over the past 10 years, Porsche's management has been marketing savvy, financially smart and right from a strategy point of view. But the Panamera sounds a bit with the VW adventure: it's the next move but why?
In 2 years when Porsche Euro/dollar smart cover contracts runs out, Porsche's management will discover that fixing VW is a much tougher and absorbing job than launching a Panamera or a Boxster.
It reminds me of Mercedes 10 years ago trying to expand towards smaller cars (the Smart, anybody European out here) and buying Chrysler because you had to be "global". Well, now they back to what they do best.

it seems like Porsche needs to produce 100,000 cars as much as Mercedes needed to be "global".

So I wish good luck to the Panamera, for sure a fine driving machine, but I think those guys are putting much on their plates.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:58 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

only issue with that...porsche already produces about 103,000 cars a year, so adding a new plant and 20,000 more per year isn't that hard for a company that's pretty well sure footed.

btw: smart cars, available in the USA so not really a mistake on MB part, and they must be doing well cause i see them all over. buying chrysler, yea bad idea, but o well.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by 87 944 C
only issue with that...porsche already produces about 103,000 cars a year, so adding a new plant and 20,000 more per year isn't that hard for a company that's pretty well sure footed.

btw: smart cars, available in the USA so not really a mistake on MB part, and they must be doing well cause i see them all over. buying chrysler, yea bad idea, but o well.
Where'd you get that 103k/year number?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I think the Panamera is a good idea. I can imagine that many Porsche owners will welcome a daily driver from their preferred brand. Look at the success of the Cayenne - it brought in a whole new audience as well as becoming the preferred SUV of Porsche fans.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I think the Panamera is a good idea. I can imagine that many Porsche owners will welcome a daily driver from their preferred brand. Look at the success of the Cayenne - it brought in a whole new audience as well as becoming the preferred SUV of Porsche fans.
I think it's a good thing to, and I can imagine that the Panamera will provoke people who aren't current 911 buyers/owners to actually start considering to go out and get their very own 911.

-that's not a bad thing at all.

I'm excited to get my hands on a Panamera.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:11 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Your point is well taken, especially in regards to the Cayenne. The difference between the two vehicles, in my opinion, is that the Cayenne offered a unique and attractive package, in addition to the performance. The Panamera does not offer anything new in the styling department, no doubt that the performance will be there. I own a Cayenne, and I will admit its a more attractive looking SUV than anything else out there, as far as SUV's are concerned. The Panamera will compete with other manufacturers that have better styling, although their performance, compared to the Panamera, is in question. I would be the type of buyer to order one of the first Panamera's, I like Porsche and what it represents, performance and styling are it's strongest attributes. Regrettably, the Panamera, as it stands, for me will never be a consideration.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm one not to like the idea of Porsche producing SUVs and/or Saloons, however since they're going to do it anyway, they can at least make them look good...

As someone mentioned the Pepper is good...BUTT the Panamera; what a disaster in design.

I was waiting to see what the final product would look like prior to purchasing my next daily driver. At this point I'm between an A8 (S), Quattroporte, S-Class or Cayenne Turbo...

Sorry Porsche you missed...should've looked at Audi...

Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I own two Porsches. I love the marque. But I will never, ever buy any car that's as ugly as a Panamera.

I personally think Porsche's marketing savvy is going to be called to question. They opened in Shanghai, not Geneva, Detroit or LA, for a reason. BMW and others with far greater resources than Porsche are scaling back or canceling similar cars. The car is BUTT ugly and has some serious, beautiful competition that costs thousands (and probably tens of thousands) less. And it's a hatchback. My Vega was a hatchback.

Time will tell I guess.

Quick Reply: History repeat?