Panamera 2010-Current

What is different?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:29 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is different?

I just watched the Official Porsche promotional videos. In them they talk a lot about how this a the first real four door sports car.

Does anybody have any real information to substantiate that claim. For example how is this car dynamically different from say an M5 (My current favorite 4 door sports car). How much lighter, how much more chuckable, trackable, sportcarish is it? Does anybody know the reality beneath the hype? Or if you are listening Porsche can you provide some substantiation to the rhetoric.

Cheers

David
Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Ok let me have a stab. Nothing. They are making stuff up. Pity.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

A four door sports car? I thought that was the early 90s Nissan Maximas.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:10 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

4 door
4 seat
Old 12-03-2008, 05:47 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It's a complete joke. Porsche is now run by bean counters and marketers. Some focus group studies conducted by snot-nosed Ivy League MBAs told them exactly how the car should be designed, and exactly how it should be marketed. The engineers were then given the task of making it work.

Porsche have been calling the wet sump Boxster/996/997 engines "dry sump" since their introduction. Not that 99% of new Porsche buyers have a damn clue what dry sump means, or would care - and that's exactly how Porsche likes it, because their goal is to become a mainstream car manufacturer. Great for their stock, terrible for enthusiasts.

Porsche is not alone in this trend, and the trend is not limited to cars either. Nowadays, substance has taken a back seat to style/image/perception.

Quick Reply: What is different?