Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 07:43 PM
BW369
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys, just a quick word of caution with the cables when installing, I had a small issue due to the XM Board and the standoffs I used were too high, therefore when I ejected the CD's from the PCM it must have moved the cables and they disconnected. I had to reopen the PCM again, and reconnect the cables, but in doing so, one of the tiny contacts got pushed aside (see image) and shifted my display.

Spliced cable

Due to this my PCM's image was shifted to the right (see images) and it drove me crazy for a few days. I only found it after I re-opened. I then went bonkers for a few days looking for replacement cables, as well as took recommendations here, and also ordered some from Amazon. It's a 30 pin and 50 pins 0.5mm A type cables, but they didn't work. ( https://amzn.to/3rDT7ZJ and https://amzn.to/3px8WyA ).

I contacted @Kimiiii who shipped an extra pair for $3, and the shipping took about 2 weeks. The cables were delivered although in some bad shape due to shipping issues, and that really worried me. Regardless I went ahead with the install once again.

But this time, I took the time to modify the XM radio connector and broke the plastic around the connector which gave me a little bit more room to reduce the standoff height.

All in all, I am finally happy to have the system back up and running after all the recent updates that were shared here.
In summary, be careful with those delicate cables. And in addition, with the WiFi and the Bluetooth antennae.

Last edited by BW369; 12-05-2021 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Missing link
Old 12-05-2021, 07:54 PM
TKiewitt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Willy07
Cool….but bad they are mangled. ISudar needs a better antenna solution, this has happened in here a few times ;(

Can you take one apart and post a picture ….what is in this antenna …..?

I used duct tape and taped them horizontally against the backplane. So far so good, no range issues.
That sounds like a good idea. While I wait to hear back from Kimi if and when he will send antennas I decided to try and see if I could make it work with what I had. I took the one which was still intact installed it on the WIFI connector. The one that was chopped off I attached to the Bluetooth connector. The way these antennas are made the lower section is for 5GHz while the upper section is for 2.4GHz. My logic was that the WIFI was more likely to work with the 2.4GHz and with such close proximity for Bluetooth the bad antenna may just work. I used zip ties and attached the antennas to one of the cables coming out of the Isudar module. My though was if it doesn't work I would still have a radio I could use. After installing the radio it is working and connected for Android Auto. So once I get the replacement antennas I will pull the radio and most likely use your idea to attache them to the back.

The antennas are what they call copper tube antennas where each section is tuned for a specific frequency range. I am not sure what is inside the tube but would imagine it is a coil of wire and the tube is the radiator /collector. Once I locate the part of the antenna that was chopped off I will try and see if I can open it up and see what is inside.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:37 PM
Willy07
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice work man ! Would did the Amazon cables not work ?
Old 12-05-2021, 09:14 PM
BW369
Advanced

Nice work man ! Would did the Amazon cables not work ?
Nope, I wouldn't advise the Amazon cables. They didn't work, I tried two orientations and without the little ear on either side, I didn't think they made good contact at all. I wish the iSudar cables were available in the US though. Glad that I have a working system now.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:44 AM
shadow4
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I wanted to install both carplay functionality and add an aftermarket reverse rear camera, would isudar be the way to go? I looked at Nav TV for the rear camera and it looks pretty complicated. Is there room in the PCM to install both iSudar and the Nav TV boards?
The following users liked this post:
ElCid86 (04-13-2022)
Old 12-06-2021, 01:22 PM
BW369
Advanced

Originally Posted by TKiewitt
That sounds like a good idea. While I wait to hear back from Kimi if and when he will send antennas I decided to try and see if I could make it work with what I had. I took the one which was still intact installed it on the WIFI connector. The one that was chopped off I attached to the Bluetooth connector. The way these antennas are made the lower section is for 5GHz while the upper section is for 2.4GHz. My logic was that the WIFI was more likely to work with the 2.4GHz and with such close proximity for Bluetooth the bad antenna may just work. I used zip ties and attached the antennas to one of the cables coming out of the Isudar module. My though was if it doesn't work I would still have a radio I could use. After installing the radio it is working and connected for Android Auto. So once I get the replacement antennas I will pull the radio and most likely use your idea to attache them to the back.

The antennas are what they call copper tube antennas where each section is tuned for a specific frequency range. I am not sure what is inside the tube but would imagine it is a coil of wire and the tube is the radiator /collector. Once I locate the part of the antenna that was chopped off I will try and see if I can open it up and see what is inside.
@Topshelf also had the same issue and he used the https://amzn.to/3IsJa7h (U.FL/IPEX antenna) for Bluetooth and WiFi and resolved the broken antenna issue for using the iSudar board. Linking it back here in case it's helpful. Thanks
Old 12-06-2021, 01:28 PM
BW369
Advanced

Originally Posted by shadow4
If I wanted to install both carplay functionality and add an aftermarket reverse rear camera, would isudar be the way to go? I looked at Nav TV for the rear camera and it looks pretty complicated. Is there room in the PCM to install both iSudar and the Nav TV boards?
If you have the XM Radio board inside then I would say you wouldn't have any more space, as such it was a super tight install for me even after I shaved off the plastic around the XM connector. I do know however that the 9xx Research module has the capability for both CarPlay as well as to add a reverse camera to the PCM - https://9xx.com/products/9xx-smartauto4-for-pcm31
Old 12-06-2021, 01:31 PM
Willy07
Racer

So those antennas are confirmed as working ??? I will grab a few as spares
Old 12-06-2021, 01:36 PM
BW369
Advanced

So those antennas are confirmed as working ??? I will grab a few as spares
Yes, according to the p@Topshelf. I'll wait for him to confirm again as I tagged his username.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:57 PM
shadow4
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the response. I do have the XM board inside, but might just sacrifice the XM since I won't be using it.
The following users liked this post:
ElCid86 (04-13-2022)
Old 12-08-2021, 01:07 AM
rgfinnegan
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Santirx
You should copy the *.BIN file in the root directory of the USB, along with the OSU_Settings folder.

When selecting the update, you should see a screen with a progress bar. Once progress bar reaches 100%, the screen goes blank. Sometimes you need to reset (by pulling PCM) fuse out.

If you are not seeing that progress bar, and you have copied the files in USB appropriately, then I'm not sure what is going on.
Where is the PCM Fuse on a 2011 PTT?
Old 12-08-2021, 07:17 AM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kimiiii
The latest updated file for PCM 3.1 carplayboard system.

Updated file for sloving some samll bugs in carplay system, Such as the problem of unbalanced sound, etc.

Download the updated file to empty USB drive- put USB drive to car radio- carplay setting-version information-The file will be automatically identified-click to upgrade the system.

Pls check here to get updated video and updated file:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/f...1c_LDXNG6_zNBQ

Have you fixed the issue with the steering back button, when in settings menu in cluster and I press the back key on steering wheel, it exists CarPlay App, and then carplay altogether.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:22 AM
Willy07
Racer

@kimi
Would there be a board exchange program offered for current users ?
Old 12-08-2021, 09:27 AM
Fantasmos
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Lol doubt it.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:29 AM
Daluv_
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish too

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1