Looking for guidance re out of state purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Jmiran
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking for guidance re out of state purchase

Hi all,

While me local SA completes his regional search for a Panamera with my specs (so far no luck), I found one out of state that is nearly identical to my build. My SA has been focusing on CA and Nevada (I live in SF Bay Area). I found one in Utah and don’t know how to proceed as I think I want this one. Do I alert my SA or contact directly the dealership selling the car. My initial thought would be to get a price from each, factor in the travel, then make a decision. I appreciate any thoughts and guidance.

John
Old 07-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It’s a tight spot there John. One has the car and one is your local dealer. If you call the out-of-state dealer and ask about the car now they’re going to figure out eventually that this is the car that’s wanted in your state. If you can’t reach a deal on the number locally, then call the dealer out of state I would just focus on your local dealer and try to get a discount that is commensurate with market.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:02 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

If the local guy has thrown up the white flag on finding something I'd call the Utah dealer myself. Two dealers means two profits and that never bodes well for the buyer. Any dealer will sell you the car for as much as they can possible get you to buy it for, it's their job. You will try and get the car for as little as possible because that is your job. Don't ever think you owe the dealer something, you don't It's just business to them and if they don't like the deal they wont make it just as you wont. You will get nothing extra from the local guy if you buy the car there later on unless you give them a significant amount of business. Meanwhile the service department brings in significant money and they're not going to turn you away, again because it's business. I've bought many cars out of the area, I'm talking from real world experience here, give away more money than you need to stay local will get you just one thing, a lighter bank account.

Edit... Do be sure and check on the sales tax angles, you'll want to know that you are not going to take a beating on taxes although that's not easy with the sales tax being what is in California for a Californian. Still if you have to pay tax there and you're getting it titled in Cali you'll want to make sure you get any taxes paid there refunded.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:16 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

you will only need to pay taxes for the county you live in. These days most dealers anywhere near CA are required to collect that from you at time of purchase anyway. So you won't have to pay Utah taxes - if those even exist.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:02 PM
Jmiran
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all for the great advice. Much appreciated!
Old 07-03-2019, 08:13 PM
krabman
Pro

Originally Posted by c4racer
you will only need to pay taxes for the county you live in. These days most dealers anywhere near CA are required to collect that from you at time of purchase anyway. So you won't have to pay Utah taxes - if those even exist.

I would verify, I'm in WA, if I buy a car in Cali I have to pay the taxes there unless I flatbed it out of the state. The sales taxes there used to be significantly more expensive than here and you needed to weigh your options for the cost of shipping or paying the higher tax. Note that California will not reimburse you for overpaying compared to WA. Nowadays they are close so when I bought a car down there a few weeks ago I just ate the extra .1 percent as it was well below the cost of shipping. In Idaho or Oregon I can buy there and pay here when I register the car. Some bigger dealers like Dave Smith can collect the taxes and register it there for WA state even though they are not in WA. Surprises are good when they involve birthday parties and the significant other jumping in the shower with you, not so good when you give up some ching you didn't have to had you made a quick internet search. You're not wrong but the smart money is on making sure you're right.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:29 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmiran
Hi all,

While me local SA completes his regional search for a Panamera with my specs (so far no luck), I found one out of state that is nearly identical to my build. My SA has been focusing on CA and Nevada (I live in SF Bay Area). I found one in Utah and don’t know how to proceed as I think I want this one. Do I alert my SA or contact directly the dealership selling the car. My initial thought would be to get a price from each, factor in the travel, then make a decision. I appreciate any thoughts and guidance.

John
Something else in addition to the good advice you’ve gotten so far. Members of this board exist all around the world. If you feel you’d like a lay opinion on the car’s condition or any worrisome details, ask around. I’m happy to do a local shop / take pics for others and I think many are too.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:35 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

I just bought out of state. Out of state dealer will collect taxes though you will have to to your dmv for plates. Ask selling dealer to throw in shipping.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:49 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by krabman
I would verify, I'm in WA, if I buy a car in Cali I have to pay the taxes there unless I flatbed it out of the state. The sales taxes there used to be significantly more expensive than here and you needed to weigh your options for the cost of shipping or paying the higher tax. Note that California will not reimburse you for overpaying compared to WA. Nowadays they are close so when I bought a car down there a few weeks ago I just ate the extra .1 percent as it was well below the cost of shipping. In Idaho or Oregon I can buy there and pay here when I register the car. Some bigger dealers like Dave Smith can collect the taxes and register it there for WA state even though they are not in WA. Surprises are good when they involve birthday parties and the significant other jumping in the shower with you, not so good when you give up some ching you didn't have to had you made a quick internet search. You're not wrong but the smart money is on making sure you're right.
CA handles it uniquely - so no relation to what WA does

CA has found a way to get their money no matter what if you register the car in CA.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:11 PM
krabman
Pro

I've bought a few dozen cars out of state, the smart money is to verify exactly what you're getting into before you get into it. Taxes can be partially or fully covered by reciprocity, sometimes there are local taxes that must be paid there but you don't have to pay the state tax. Trip permits and whether you get one, vary by state. Some fees are required in some states whether you live there or not. There should be no detail of an out of state purchase you don't know before you get on a plane or have the car shipped. Some things can be fixed but you have to hassle it, others cannot, either way they get chalked up in the lesson learned category. Or you can just do a quick search to and figure it out in about 5 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
c4racer (07-04-2019)

Quick Reply: Looking for guidance re out of state purchase