Notices

Do I need sports chrono and sport exhaust?

Old 07-11-2019, 12:04 AM
GVA-SFO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO (after 5 years and 60k miles of Panamera 4S) :
. Sport Plus is 100% part of the must have options
. Sport exhaust = making noise. If you love (and need) to make noise, i.e.: to attract attention of other people, I would think that you need some sessions with a good shrink.
(it is true, ..that it could be more expensive than this option.)

Do you know what the word Empathy means ?
If yes, would you think about the people that lives, (and some may be sick or suffering) having problems to sleep, ..and then what about someone driving near by with vehicle making a lot of noise, ..just for its own "ego". What would you think ?
Or,what do you think about the people that set their "radio" very loud, and open all windows ?

Does such "acts" make you think about the babies that are crying as loud as they can, to attract attention, ..because they have no other way to do so !

..my two cents !
Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 AM
krabman
User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While you're making judgments you might want to consider how much ego it takes to hold so many in contempt based on little more than personal bias.
The following users liked this post:
pokingaround (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:20 AM
Phil_PPTT
User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad View Post
I agree 100% but I also respect that we own these cars so each does what he thinks best. My only gripe about sound is the loud tire noise over chip sealed surfaces. Next re-tire I’ll address that. Running Contis now.
FYI I had Continentals when I purchased the car and switched to Michelin Super Sport. The Michelin is noticeably louder.

I typically drive with the windows down though. Windows up, with insulated glass, they're both quiet. I plan on trying Michelin 4S next.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:39 AM
dryadsdad
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_PPTT View Post
FYI I had Continentals when I purchased the car and switched to Michelin Super Sport. The Michelin is noticeably louder.

I typically drive with the windows down though. Windows up, with insulated glass, they're both quiet. I plan on trying Michelin 4S next.
Thanks for the responses on the tires. The current Contis are clearly very noisy but whether that's the nature of the tires of something else I can't say. It depends wholly on the road surface. I'll inquire again when we re-tire. I definitely do not wish summer tires since the added grip doesn't, for our driving, make up for the inconvenience of having to change wheels twice a year.

So far we've not driven with the windows down at any speed.I don't know if we have insulated glass but doubt it and also doubt it'd address the thrum which is transmitted through the body. After running at speeds from 90 mph to 130 mph for hours, I noted tire inflation of 39/39 F and 41/41R which strikes me as suitable, but if not, I'd appreciate hearing from any more expert than I am.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Phil_PPTT
User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad View Post
Thanks for the responses on the tires. The current Contis are clearly very noisy but whether that's the nature of the tires of something else I can't say. It depends wholly on the road surface. I'll inquire again when we re-tire. I definitely do not wish summer tires since the added grip doesn't, for our driving, make up for the inconvenience of having to change wheels twice a year.

So far we've not driven with the windows down at any speed.I don't know if we have insulated glass but doubt it and also doubt it'd address the thrum which is transmitted through the body. After running at speeds from 90 mph to 130 mph for hours, I noted tire inflation of 39/39 F and 41/41R which strikes me as suitable, but if not, I'd appreciate hearing from any more expert than I am.
I run 43 / 37 on summer 20", but that's cold tire pressure. If I put less pressure, they bounce a little less and they do sound more quiet but I stick to Porsche's recommendation.

The owners manual has every possible tire pressure listed for all stock sizes and type of tires and even speed. 20" all seasons set to comfort (up to 100MPH) should be 32 / 32 cold and 43 / 37 for speeds up to 150MPH. Those are for part load (2 people).

I would imagine the lower tire pressure would make the ride more comfortable and less noisy.
dryadsdad (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM
dryadsdad
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_PPTT View Post
I run 43 / 37 on summer 20", but that's cold tire pressure. If I put less pressure, they bounce a little less and they do sound more quiet but I stick to Porsche's recommendation.

The owners manual has every possible tire pressure listed for all stock sizes and type of tires and even speed. 20" all seasons set to comfort (up to 100MPH) should be 32 / 32 cold and 43 / 37 for speeds up to 150MPH. Those are for part load (2 people).

I would imagine the lower tire pressure would make the ride more comfortable and less noisy.
I'll look into it and experiment. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Paul Rathjen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously, if you want your panamera to sound like a speed boat in the Ozarks, please get a different car. If you want your exhaust so loud that you can have a conversation in the car, why would you want a panamera which is designed SPECIFICALLY to create a mobile environment to do EXACTLY that? Choose the right tool for the job.

That said, you car, your rules and to hell with everyone else, but don’t complain about getting opinions on a forum specially designed to communicate opinions and create conversation which inherently implies people will disagree with you. (Not specifically directed to OP). Amazing cars in all trims without it without loud exhaust!

Last edited by Paul Rathjen; 07-11-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:04 PM
krabman
User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To my knowledge no one complained about others having opinions. Categorizing other people as egotistical, childish, narcissistic, apathetic, and in need of psychiatric care to overcome their social maladies based largely on a differing subjective opinion; yeah, that's going to draw criticism due to the fallacy of the construct. It's like saying the only reason to drink a glass of wine is because you're an obnoxious bore in need of seeking help.
DogWood (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 03:23 PM
smithsor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2011 Panamera base in February and was lucky to find one with some good specs.
- Sport Chrono Plus
- PASM
- Bi-Xenon
- 14 way ventilated seats, yada yada
The V-6 is plenty of fun considering we have more law enforcement in Alabama than lawyers.
I like the stock exhaust (quiet) because I like to hear the engine and tranny more than exhaust.
Per SunCoast:
"Sport Plus button for even sportier tuning of the engine and chassis. Includes launch control for cars with PDK, and digital display on the PCM (instrument cluster for some models). The kit comes with a new console switch as shown.
With the additional option "SPORT PLUS" mode, the following improvements are added over the standard sports mode:
Sport Plus Mode: More aggressive calibrations of PDK shift patterns, Porsche Stability management (PSM), Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC), and improved electronic motor management."
In my car:
PASM - ("comfort mode"), auto PDK uses gears 2-7, throttle a tad lazy
Sport - stiffer suspension, revs stay higher regardless of gear, auto PDK uses gears 2-7, throttle more responsive
Sport Plus - stiffest suspension (track), revs stay in the mid range (wound up), auto PDK uses only gears 1-6 and Launch Control starts in 1st gear, throttle most responsive
The Sport Chrono clock looks cool but I've only used it to tell time.
Here is a good tool when Porsche shopping. Just plug in the full VIN and you'll see a mock build sheet.
https://vinanalytics.com/
Must get a PPI on any 970 Panamera. My CarFax showed a faithful maintenance history but because mine came with factory Sport Plus I figured there was more "fun" than a basic Base model experienced.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:38 PM
DogWood
User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the Sport Exhaust is really just about noise, where the Sport Plus is about performance, it really unleashes the beast! (4S so gobs of V8 goodness)
Like smithsor I only use the sport chrono to tell time( and rarely that)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: