Notices

New/Future Owner

 
Old 06-28-2019, 11:51 AM
  #16  
c4racer
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 461
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skiracer View Post
I suspect the Panamera draws a different type of buyer than a 911 does, and most don't work on their own cars. Some owners don't even drive them.
This!!

BTW - oil change cost is under $100 for parts using factory filter and 0W40 or 5W40 that meets Porsche's spec (I used Mobil1). It take a bit longer than on a BMW because the under-pan is quite extensive. And requires removing another brace to get to the oil filter. But not a big deal. Solid hour instead of 30 minutes.

You need a factory scan tool or equivalent to reset the service indicator even for an oil change btw. I left mine for now so get the warning light when I start the car but it goes away after that.

I plan to do a lot of DIY on mine after the CPO runs out. Whatever it needs pretty much. I have extensive car building experience and have maintained a whole pile of BMW's - this car is not so different, although the packaging is a bit more challenging - engine is set way back in the chassis, rear suspension is rather complicated - all the things that makes this car handle like a big 911.
c4racer is offline  
The following users liked this post:
wyowolf (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 11:54 AM
  #17  
c4racer
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 461
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sennasixty8 View Post
Yes, done this past January @ 50k miles, and the OEM bearings that came out looked pretty good! I replaced them with BE bearings and ARP bolts, this engine will live many miles and years ahead.
I think that issue is a bit overblown. Yes it can be an issue on some % of engines with 50-80K miles - but I also think it has a lot to do with frequency of oil changes, oil used and how the car was driven when the oil temp is below 160 or so.
c4racer is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 11:59 AM
  #18  
wyowolf
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 32
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I think that issue is a bit overblown. Yes it can be an issue on some % of engines with 50-80K miles - but I also think it has a lot to do with frequency of oil changes, oil used and how the car was driven when the oil temp is below 160 or so.
I think its pretty much guaranteed eventually simply by the too tight design of not letting enough oil through there... at least from what research I have done on it...some may last longer than others... but eventually they all will go.
wyowolf is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 12:02 PM
  #19  
wyowolf
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 32
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
This!!

BTW - oil change cost is under $100 for parts using factory filter and 0W40 or 5W40 that meets Porsche's spec (I used Mobil1). It take a bit longer than on a BMW because the under-pan is quite extensive. And requires removing another brace to get to the oil filter. But not a big deal. Solid hour instead of 30 minutes.

You need a factory scan tool or equivalent to reset the service indicator even for an oil change btw. I left mine for now so get the warning light when I start the car but it goes away after that.

I plan to do a lot of DIY on mine after the CPO runs out. Whatever it needs pretty much. I have extensive car building experience and have maintained a whole pile of BMW's - this car is not so different, although the packaging is a bit more challenging - engine is set way back in the chassis, rear suspension is rather complicated - all the things that makes this car handle like a big 911.
Once I found the scan tool, who's name escapes me, I was a lot more confident. I plan on keep this for a few years at least so I will take my time getting the right one. But there is never too much information to be learned about it either. Yes they like to pack things in there dont they!
wyowolf is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 12:04 PM
  #20  
wyowolf
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 32
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skiracer View Post
I suspect the Panamera draws a different type of buyer than a 911 does, and most don't work on their own cars. Some owners don't even drive them.
that really is a beautiful looking car!! love that color!
wyowolf is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 12:13 PM
  #21  
c4racer
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 461
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wyowolf View Post
I think its pretty much guaranteed eventually simply by the too tight design of not letting enough oil through there... at least from what research I have done on it...some may last longer than others... but eventually they all will go.
Oh - agree, but I think it's a do it at 75K and 150K thing if the motor was properly cared for.
c4racer is offline  
The following users liked this post:
wyowolf (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 12:15 PM
  #22  
c4racer
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 461
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Durametric. Runs on a laptop. It's just under $300 and gets coded to a single car. I will pick one up once my car is out of CPO coverage.
c4racer is offline  
The following users liked this post:
wyowolf (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 12:17 PM
  #23  
wyowolf
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 32
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Durametric. Runs on a laptop. It's just under $300 and gets coded to a single car. I will pick one up once my car is out of CPO coverage.
Yes thank you!
I run both the BMW and Powerstroke one on my laptop... sure makes life easier to find fault codes.
wyowolf is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 12:20 PM
  #24  
wyowolf
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 32
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Oh - agree, but I think it's a do it at 75K and 150K thing if the motor was properly cared for.
I realize that certain concessions have to be made in manufacturing. But you would think something that critical would have been better thought out...

I would include the IMS issue in that same type of category , for the premium you pay for these cars those kinds of things shouldn't be happening.

I work on AC parts, which are hideously expensive, and they arent perfect but you dont see those kinds of failures on those...
wyowolf is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 01:11 PM
  #25  
c4racer
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 461
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wyowolf View Post
I realize that certain concessions have to be made in manufacturing. But you would think something that critical would have been better thought out...

I would include the IMS issue in that same type of category , for the premium you pay for these cars those kinds of things shouldn't be happening.

I work on AC parts, which are hideously expensive, and they arent perfect but you dont see those kinds of failures on those...
Especially on a M car. But yes - like the camshaft issue in the AMG 6.3 V8 - countless examples of engine related design vulnerabilities that sure shouldn't be there in a premium car like these.
Meanwhile - GM is making some pretty solid engines up to 650hp and you just don't see these issues. OK - maybe the valve-springs on the LS7 but that's a pretty simple and permanent fix.
c4racer is offline  
The following users liked this post:
wyowolf (06-28-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 06:20 AM
  #26  
Phil_PPTT
User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 44
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I think that issue is a bit overblown. Yes it can be an issue on some % of engines with 50-80K miles - but I also think it has a lot to do with frequency of oil changes, oil used and how the car was driven when the oil temp is below 160 or so.
I owned an E60 M5 for 5 years and had the rod bearings replaced at 100,000km (60,000 miles). They were pretty worn. It was $2000 Canadian at the BMW dealership, not the end of the world for peace of mind.

I still shop for used E60 M5 on a weekly basis for a 2nd car. As much as I love the Panamera Turbo S nothing matches the sound and experience of a high reving V10 with exhaust.
Phil_PPTT is offline  
Old 06-29-2019, 06:33 AM
  #27  
Phil_PPTT
User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 44
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wyowolf View Post
Thank you very much. I assume those are indy prices? 500 for oil change seems high for just parts alone. I will be doing all my own work. On another thread I found the name of the scan tool, cant recall it now, but thats whats really needed for diagnostics. The rest is just taking stuff apart and putting it back together... not terribly difficult usually. I've worked on everything from Aircraft engines to diesels to Bimmers... its all the same really. Plus I have ALLDATA at work which will help with most issues.

The things you pointed out that can be problematic is what I was looking for.

Silly Q... on the 996/7 forums I see extensive buyers guides and DIY, but not much on this one. Is that because they are much more difficult to work on? just curious.
Thank you again for the info!
Oil change is actually $330 Canadian. I rounded up a bit, then again with Porsche I've never had a visit under $500. You'll save a bunch doing maintenance yourself. I'm pretty useless with a wrench and my car is under CPO so I just have it serviced with Porsche.

A lot of warranty items can fall in a grey zone. And I've been told by several people that Porsche considers service history when making those types of decisions. All I know is every single item I brought up was quickly addressed. And you wouldn't believe the list.
Phil_PPTT is offline  
Old 06-29-2019, 08:09 AM
  #28  
Alex Muhlbach
New User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Thanks for all of the replies everyone I really appreciate it. I wasnít aware Porsche was such a reliable car at first which is why I wasnít even considering it until my friends who owned one told me they were actually really reliable and great cars.

That was my main concern was if these cars would live to see 200k as long as regular maintenance is done and a few other small jobs here and there which would be expected of any car you buy even a Toyota or Lexus.

Of course these smaller jobs and regular maintenance would be more than your average car I just didnít want to ever get myself in a situation Iím 30k in the hole with a car Iíd have to drop 10k-20k+ for some big repair.

So if I go on the cheaper side of 25-30k for a 2010-12 with around 80k miles would this thing get to 150-200k no problem?

If so it makes sense to go for that over 40k for one with less miles.

For around 40k you can find one that only has 20k miles which is very low but at the same time after taxes it adds up and if I can score one for 25k with 90k miles yeah thatís 70k more than the more expensive one but Iím hoping it will still have a lot of life left and for nearly half the cost I can still get it and set aside money for repairs that come up.

Iíve had good luck getting cars with higher mileage for cheaper price with no issues for years so I hate over paying if not necessary.

What are your guysí thoughts on this in particular??
Alex Muhlbach is offline  
Old 06-29-2019, 02:13 PM
  #29  
DogWood
User
 
DogWood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bend, Or.
Posts: 428
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

while overall Porsches tend to be reliable, any brand can have issues/problem cars....

the general consensus is to buy as new and low mileage as the budget allows.
DogWood is offline  
The following users liked this post:
wyowolf (07-01-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 05:09 PM
  #30  
dryadsdad
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
dryadsdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 22,392
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Being a vet of BMW and P-car ownership I agree with the OP that parts aren't going to cost any different or any significant difference. Once you're inured to the luxo German brand parts cost (Benz, BMW, Porsche) you know what you're in for. The $500.00 oil changes are from a dealer or at least not any indie I've ever done business with. That seems high to me since our Cayenne TT oil changes were $300 at dealer with a cursory inspection tossed in for good measure.

I do not wrench on my cars (bikes only) but I know of nothing in the P-car universe which would invalidate knowledge gained from working on other marques. My guess is you'll be OK.
dryadsdad is online now  
The following users liked this post:
wyowolf (07-01-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: