Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Close to buying a used 2010 panamera turbo but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:48 PM
frozenshark
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close to buying a used 2010 panamera turbo but...

Hello, I'm looking at a used 2010 Panamera turbo with about 66k miles on it. I've test driven it twice now from the dealer that's a hour away from me and I absolutely love the vehicle except for one issue. This panamera has the thicker and uv resistant glass so I know it's quiet but when I'm driving at about 5-30 mph the car is freaking loud from the rear exhaust. It's like ear hurting loud and aside from turning up the radio which is really nice with that higher trim. It's still a worry I have that either the exhaust or some material in the back is worn down. The only thing that helps is by turning on sport plus which keeps the vehicle at a higher rpm and for some reason it's quieter when I would think it should be louder. The dealer had the transmission fluid and pan with filter already replaced and that's a big concern out of the way for me that kept me from wanting to buy but the sound is so loud I don't know if that's perfectly normal or not and I don't have any other vehicles in my area to test drive to check against. If anyone has any comments on how loud they're Panamera turbo is I'd really appreciate it. I'd love to buy this vehicle since it's really something special and unique but I'd hate to see it pass by me if I'm wrong and the vehicle is naturally that loud.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:16 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

The original equipment exhaust (either standard or the Porsche Sport Exhaust) are quiet. Steady driving at 5-30mph the exhaust is nearly silent on a Turbo. On a Turbo both the standard exhaust and the PSE are valved. You don't hear anything from the standard exhaust except when you get on the throttle and the valve opens. The PSE is a little louder but not drastically. I suspect the exhaust system on this car has either been modified or a aftermarket system has been installed and you are experiencing what is known in the aftermarket exhaust world as drone. Sounds to me like you need to find a unmodified stock exhaust that can be fitted or have the PSE fitted. Neither will have the drone you are describing. Also verify the cats and cross pipes are unmodified. Basically you need to return to a fully factory stock exhaust system.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:52 PM
mc-pgts
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

we test drove many different Panamera's and 1 GTS had a terrible drone. Didn't matter what position the PSE button was in. I think it was stuck in loud mode which seems louder until the car is fully warmed up.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:47 AM
frozenshark
7th Gear

Thank you for the response small car lover. I don't know what I'm going to do if I have to replace the exhaust on the car. I doubt the dealership knows anything about doing that nor would they install one if we tried working on it. This Porsche is priced just right for me to get into the world of performance luxery cars and I really do like the vehicle and the feeling I get driving it.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:00 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Exhausts are easy to fix. Too loud add on a bullet inline resonator.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:05 AM
frozenshark
7th Gear

I've never installed one before. My dad is mechanic of the family and the most he's shown me how to do is put on new break pads and replace some electronic chips. Pretty easy fix though?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:03 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Lots of owners replace their exhaust so there's a good chance you can pick up a used system for a reasonable price. As stated, these cars are so quiet that many will 'upgrade' their exhaust which may have happened to the car you're looking at. If everything else about the car is right, this item can easily be fixed at a good muffler shop.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:12 AM
frozenshark
7th Gear

That makes me feel a little more relived hearing that. I'm going to tell my dealer I'll take it to a muffler shop and see what their going to quote. Thank you for the responses and I hope my next post will be me showing off the car ^_^
Old 05-19-2019, 12:42 PM
small car lover
Instructor

You could consider a used factory exhaust, something like this. This 2010 should fit the 2012 with no issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-OEM...EAAOSwc0lckaTX
Old 05-19-2019, 02:51 PM
frozenshark
7th Gear

I was looking at that one. My dealer said going to the shop would be best so probably tomorrow I will head over and see what they will say.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:38 AM
mc-pgts
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Check that the valves near the exhaust tips are working correctly. You should be able to see them move when the button on the center console is pressed. The flaps can get stuck or the solenoid that activates them can fail.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:48 PM
Fulwild
Rennlist Member

I have 2010 turbo and agree with Small Car Lover. From Inside the car the exhaust even in sport mode is pretty subdued. As Ski Racer said OEM exhausts are out there.if yours is already wired (exhaust tips button in center console) reinstall of OEM exhaust should be no problem. Just to be safe have someone check to make sure the turbos are solidly attached. I just has to remove my exhaust an the shop had to repair/replace 2 studs on each turbo. if those were not fixed i could see that being an issue. open the hood and see if you can localize the loudness. Front... probably not good.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:54 PM
frozenshark
7th Gear

I'm in the shop right now. Sound from the front is relatively quiet unless it's just being drowned out from the exhaust. Will find out hopefully soon what's going on with it.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:42 PM
frozenshark
7th Gear

So got done with the shop and thankfully the exhaust is original. The mufflers are sadly not and looking at the price for the oem ones it's going to be about $1500 for them. Talked to my dealer and offered a lower price since I'm going to have to buy them myself even though were going to work it in to the loan and go to a shop and get them installed. Dealer didn't budge as much as I'd like so have just left things as this. I'll save more money till I can buy a newer model with less miles and no messing around with mufflers.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:07 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Good plan. Best of luck with your search.

Quick Reply: Close to buying a used 2010 panamera turbo but...