Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera-167/)
-   -   PDCC not available on some trims (https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera/1142984-pdcc-not-available-on-some-trims.html)

Johnny5Alive 05-14-2019 12:05 PM

PDCC not available on some trims

I noticed PDCC is not on configurator for E hybrid so I inquired with my local Porsche manager. He sent an internal email and was told that PDCC is only available on 4S, GTS, and turbo.

I don’t know whether or not it was previously available, and the email didn’t mention base or Turbo S e hybrid. I think it’s standard equipment on turbo S though.

But it won’t be available on E hybrid. Bummer.

jnolan 05-14-2019 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive (Post 15839782)
I noticed PDCC is not on configurator for E hybrid so I inquired with my local Porsche manager. He sent an internal email and was told that PDCC is only available on 4S, GTS, and turbo.

I don’t know whether or not it was previously available, and the email didn’t mention base or Turbo S e hybrid. I think it’s standard equipment on turbo S though.

But it won’t be available on E hybrid. Bummer.

PDCC is standard on the turbo S e-hybrid

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8412dba04.jpeg

Paul Rathjen 05-15-2019 10:26 AM

It was an option for the Gen 1 in most trims I think too. I think its kind of dumb that they don't just include the features that make the car what it is. I get it, I just think its dumb.

jnolan 05-15-2019 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen (Post 15841882)
It was an option for the Gen 1 in most trims I think too. I think its kind of dumb that they don't just include the features that make the car what it is. I get it, I just think its dumb.

okay, I'll be contrarian. Porsche is one of the smartest companies in the auto sector when it comes to portfolio strategy and maximizing MSRP using options. PDCC is not available on base Panamera models because PDCC along with torque vectoring, PASM and Sport Chrono are signals that you want a performance model and Porsche will upsell you $80k into a Turbo S.

No offense to any the other Panamera models but a Turbo S in hybrid or non-hybrid form is in a whole different performance class so why offer tarted up models with performance options outside of the full performance package? Whatever that answer is, as far as Porsche is concerned it is really about money and getting as much of it as possible on a new sale.

Outlaw 05-15-2019 03:36 PM

The reason the turbo hybrid has PDCC was supposedly all the extra weight of batteries. Really makes no sense

I spent another 20k more on a 19 just to get PDCC and a few other options.

Paul Rathjen 05-15-2019 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by jnolan (Post 15842500)
okay, I'll be contrarian. Porsche is one of the smartest companies in the auto sector when it comes to portfolio strategy and maximizing MSRP using options. PDCC is not available on base Panamera models because PDCC along with torque vectoring, PASM and Sport Chrono are signals that you want a performance model and Porsche will upsell you $80k into a Turbo S.

No offense to any the other Panamera models but a Turbo S in hybrid or non-hybrid form is in a whole different performance class so why offer tarted up models with performance options outside of the full performance package? Whatever that answer is, as far as Porsche is concerned it is really about money and getting as much of it as possible on a new sale.

I don't think that's contrarian. I was agreeing with you passive aggressively. I think it dumb and confusing to not have a performance sedan, have all the goodies. Or I should say all those goodies that make the car. I said that I get it, and from a marketing/option standpoint I makes sense. As a buyer its way too confusing. Have a base model sure. Have a GTS with all the goodies, and the turbo with goodies plus more power. The amount of stuff that should be on every car, from backup camera to safety equipment, to cruise control options that every other manufacture well below this price range, is way too complicated. Again I get it, and I get why they do it, it doesn't make it any less irritating. The Turbo should 100% come with all the active handing standard. You give the S some additional HP, maybe the carbon brakes as standard, and of course now you have the super/hybrid S stuff as well for the halo car. All of the performance oriented models, GTS, Turbo, Turbo s should have PDCC, PASM and PVT+. I get why they don't. I think its dumb and annoying from a tongue and cheek standpoint. Its not dumb from a business standpoint as its not hurting sales. Porsche brand isn't about the best bang for the buck - nope. Its special sauce.

Johnny5Alive 05-15-2019 04:33 PM

Well considering the stats on the car, I am actively choosing the E hybrid over the 4S. I don’t understand why the 4S would be any more “performance oriented” other than weight, and from what I’ve read, the differences between the two cars from an acceleration standpoint are hardly noticeable in real world use. 4S vs E hybrid seems more a matter of preference.

Now that hat being said if I had my way I’d go GTS but as it is with tax breaks and the 6,000 gvwr tax depreciation for my business I’m ordering an E hybrid spec’d To the max at close to GTS pricing which after tax breaks I’m getting a huge benefit for will be a relative bargain. If the GTS was 100 lbs heavier then I’d go that way. Strange, I know, but the new depreciation rules for business write offs on 6,000 gvwr is real. Turbo S e hybrid is still more than I want to spend on this car, albeit with the same tax breaks, and the leftover Turbo S ‘18’s just aren’t spec’d the way my wife wants it. So ordering an E hybrid and loading it up is the best way for us to get 90% of what we want and spending the least after tax breaks.

But, given the added weight of the E hybrid over the a specd 4S or GTS, PDCC would have been a welcome addition to our order.

this is mostly the spec we put in for a 2020 order. Note that 2020 configurator isn’t up yet unless at the dealer so I had to replicate in the 2019. Please note, that PDCC isn’t on the 2019 configurator either.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PK14TAD9

I added the light up carbon sills and the Alcantara headliner to it afterwards, so those options aren’t in the spec but we added them. PTS was available to us but lead times pushed us out to next March for delivery and my wife doesn’t want that much of a wait. As you can tell we’d probably like the GTS but the tax breaks widen the difference in cost significantly.

real bummer on not being able to add PDCC because I bet an e hybrid would benefit from it.

Johnny5Alive 05-15-2019 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw (Post 15842636)
The reason the turbo hybrid has PDCC was supposedly all the extra weight of batteries. Really makes no sense

I spent another 20k more on a 19 just to get PDCC and a few other options.

Might want to check this. PDCC isn’t available on 2019 e hybrids either. Unless you have a turbo s hybrid.

jnolan 05-15-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen (Post 15842707)
I don't think that's contrarian. I was agreeing with you passive aggressively. I think it dumb and confusing to not have a performance sedan, have all the goodies. Or I should say all those goodies that make the car. I said that I get it, and from a marketing/option standpoint I makes sense. As a buyer its way too confusing. Have a base model sure. Have a GTS with all the goodies, and the turbo with goodies plus more power. The amount of stuff that should be on every car, from backup camera to safety equipment, to cruise control options that every other manufacture well below this price range, is way too complicated. Again I get it, and I get why they do it, it doesn't make it any less irritating. The Turbo should 100% come with all the active handing standard. You give the S some additional HP, maybe the carbon brakes as standard, and of course now you have the super/hybrid S stuff as well for the halo car. All of the performance oriented models, GTS, Turbo, Turbo s should have PDCC, PASM and PVT+. I get why they don't. I think its dumb and annoying from a tongue and cheek standpoint. Its not dumb from a business standpoint as its not hurting sales. Porsche brand isn't about the best bang for the buck - nope. Its special sauce.

it seems like $20k in add-ons is the expectation when spec'ing a new Porsche these days. With the Taycan coming out, I am curious to see how they either continue this or break from it and follow Tesla's lead of building everything into the car and software enabling post-purchase.

Johnny5Alive 05-16-2019 05:24 PM

Ugh. To make matters worse it appears PDCC is available on base cayenne coupe.

so what was that about it only being available on “sports models” again?

jnolan 05-16-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive (Post 15845475)
Ugh. To make matters worse it appears PDCC is available on base cayenne coupe.

so what was that about it only being available on “sports models” again?

They want you to buy a Turbo e-hybrid to get PDCC. Honestly, it's just dynamic anti-roll bars... it's not exotic. If I had to choose between PASM and PDCC, I'd take PASM. PASM+RAS goes a long way to getting you what PDCC offers. It's silly to think of these full-size sedans as a track weapon, which is the only place you will really feel the effects of PDCC. Around town and in canyon carving, PSM and RAS will be far more effective.

Regarding the Cayenne, the model range is not as great as the Panamera and the turbo Cayenne starts at "only" $124k vs $151k for Panamera Turbo. $186k for a Turbo S e-hybrid. Nothing in this debate is really about the base Panamera and PDCC, it's entirely about the upsell to a Turbo S Panamera. You should just get a Turbo S e-hybrid, if for no other reason than the car is freaking phenomenal to drive.

Outlaw 05-16-2019 07:44 PM

PDCC is a lot more than roll bars. It ties the whole car together.

Johnny5Alive 05-16-2019 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by jnolan (Post 15845705)
They want you to buy a Turbo e-hybrid to get PDCC. Honestly, it's just dynamic anti-roll bars... it's not exotic. If I had to choose between PASM and PDCC, I'd take PASM. PASM+RAS goes a long way to getting you what PDCC offers. It's silly to think of these full-size sedans as a track weapon, which is the only place you will really feel the effects of PDCC. Around town and in canyon carving, PSM and RAS will be far more effective.

Regarding the Cayenne, the model range is not as great as the Panamera and the turbo Cayenne starts at "only" $124k vs $151k for Panamera Turbo. $186k for a Turbo S e-hybrid. Nothing in this debate is really about the base Panamera and PDCC, it's entirely about the upsell to a Turbo S Panamera. You should just get a Turbo S e-hybrid, if for no other reason than the car is freaking phenomenal to drive.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a GT3 for that. I’m buying this car for my wife so I really don’t want to spend Turbo S money for power she’ll never use. I’m specing it the way I am because I still drive it occasionally also. I only wanted PDCC to help offset the issues of weight.

anyway, I’ll stick with the “basic” e hybrid. I’m sure I’ll get over the loss of PDCC I just think it’s dumb.

jnolan 05-16-2019 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw (Post 15845775)
PDCC is a lot more than roll bars. It ties the whole car together.

yes, it definitely involves more than dynamic anti-roll bars but my point is that if you get RAS and PASM (which I am not sure is available on the base e-hybrid) you get a lot of the benefit of having PDCC. PDCC works with all the components and the design objective of the system is to keep the car flat when cornering or on uneven ground. That's not my opinion, that is exactly what Porsche says about it and the technical documentation makes specific references to the interaction with PASM, RAS, and PTV (Sport Chrono as well).

At any rate, it's a Panamera. As much as we want to believe that all these options "make the car" they really do not because it would be foolish to take something this heavy on a track for anything other than the novelty of it. I drive my Panamera (I do have a Turbo S e-hybrid sport turismo) and I'm pretty damn amazed that the thing drives as well as it does but it's still a 5,500 lb car and I don't obsess about lap times in it. It would be hard for me to say what a non-Turbo S Panamera would drive like but I'd miss something much more meaningful if I downgraded. The engine.

HankB 05-24-2019 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jnolan (Post 15842500)

Very true, and let’s not forget they are selling the notion of exclusivity on a grand scale as well as micro. Not being able to get an option for a buyer who wants it sucks. But the guys who can get it the option, or already have it feel a little special on the sub conscious level. These Porsche marketing guys are Psyops masters.

Hank