2019 cayenne S vs 2017 panamera turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Yalbader
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 cayenne S vs 2017 panamera turbo

Hello

I currently own a fully loaded 2019 cayenne S with all performance specs, and a bmw m2 which i track on monthly basis.
I have been offered a 2017 panamera turbo fully loaded with every single exclusive option and exclusive paint for 15k usd above my cayenne trade in value. The Original price of the panamera turbo was 236k dollars almost. It has 20k miles on it. Its squeaky clean inside and out, looks brand new.

Can anyone advise me if i should take the deal? Are there differences between 2017 and 2019 panameras? Are there any known problems with the car?
If i get the car ill be selling the M2 as well since the panamera will be my track car and daily car

Last edited by Yalbader; 05-13-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:11 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

What was sticker of your cayenne?
Old 05-10-2019, 05:12 PM
Yalbader
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Outlaw
What was sticker of your cayenne?
It was 125-130$ and currently has 12k miles
Panamera was 236k$ just edited post
Old 05-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Well if you love the car and the fact that you’re losing an additional car on your insurance, I think it sounds like a fair deal. But it’s always worth a shot to try to do another 5k. Try 10k.

You'll love the V8
Old 05-10-2019, 05:55 PM
Stephen Ayers
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the Panamera and Cayenne Turbo S, M3's and other track cars. The Panamera is a phenomenal street car. Wish I still had mine but my wife wanted more room for strollers, etc.

However it would be a very disappointing track car (unless you are just doing parade laps). Way to heavy. Would eat pads and tires by the truckload. Especially a fully max out option car. Keep the BMW for track.
The following users liked this post:
Briels (03-16-2024)
Old 05-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

Personal taste car vs suv.

The panamera turbo is an incredible car. Probably more fun than the cayenne unless you’re driving in inclement weather or off-road. You already know you’d lose cargo space.

i have a 2017 panamera with 20k miles. No problems, but we’re trading it in for a higher spec.

the only thing I’ve noticed is PCM seems to have had a minor update. But nothing you’d notice.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Yalbader
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Personal taste car vs suv.

The panamera turbo is an incredible car. Probably more fun than the cayenne unless you’re driving in inclement weather or off-road. You already know you’d lose cargo space.

i have a 2017 panamera with 20k miles. No problems, but we’re trading it in for a higher spec.

the only thing I’ve noticed is PCM seems to have had a minor update. But nothing you’d notice.
I dont do any offroading, but streets are horrible here potholes everywhere, and streets are cracked up

It terms of ride height and comfort, will i worry?
Old 05-10-2019, 07:59 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Originally Posted by Yalbader
I dont do any offroading, but streets are horrible here potholes everywhere, and streets are cracked up

It terms of ride height and comfort, will i worry?
Not at all. Porsche best in business on damping.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:11 PM
Expat444
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both a Cayenne S (21' wheels) and a Panamera Turbo (20" wheels), the ride in the Panamera (even on comfort setting) is definitely harsher than the Cayenne's but there's no comparison on twisty roads etc. Potholes are the bane of my Panamera as are entrances and speed bumps but damn it's a fun car!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:48 AM
TAG ceo
Advanced

Not sure how you ended up with $50,000 worth of options on a cayenne s, but you definitely shouldn't be adding any money to the equation. As someone with a $206k msrp 2018 sport turismo turbo can attest I've lost somewhere between $80k-$90k on a car in one year which is nuts! The options really don'y add that much value - If you're car really was $130k you should be able to find a used Sport Turismo turbo for even money if not less and it does have a little more space than the standard panamera so it might be nice middle ground
Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 AM
SUPWAGON
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The depreciation hit in these cars is huge, for me it only makes sense to keep them for a long time. I had a 2013 Cayenne GTS that I traded in on Turbo ST. Love the car, drives better than the cayenne and still has utility for our dogs, luggage and trips to Home Depot. The Cayenne had 98,000 miles and was at end of CPO warranty. IMO the Panamera is a step up, especially the Turbo. I do not track the car, but for town. back roads and highway its hard to beat the comfort, speed and responsiveness.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:16 PM
Yalbader
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TAG ceo
Not sure how you ended up with $50,000 worth of options on a cayenne s, but you definitely shouldn't be adding any money to the equation. As someone with a $206k msrp 2018 sport turismo turbo can attest I've lost somewhere between $80k-$90k on a car in one year which is nuts! The options really don'y add that much value - If you're car really was $130k you should be able to find a used Sport Turismo turbo for even money if not less and it does have a little more space than the standard panamera so it might be nice middle ground
In my country the cayenne costs 108k $ standard, mine reached 130, so only 22k worth of option. The trade in value they gave me was 95K.

I bought the cayenne mainly for the clearance due to the awful roads we have. Dont need the extra space a tursimo gives and prefer the normal panamera look
Old 05-13-2019, 02:19 PM
Yalbader
Intermediate

New edit on post with spec sheet
Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Kuwait huh? Cool. Or, rather, hot!

You don't speak much about your motivation to switch (or not) beyond the condition of the roads. I can't speak to the pricing because new or used, I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from pricing here in the US to pricing there.

All that said, the Panamera is a phenomenal vehicle and in a very different class than the Cayenne - as expensive as Cayennes can get, it's still an SUV. And the Panamera Turbo, especially in a nutso build like the one you're looking at, is a particularly special beast.

I'd insist on a generous test drive - maybe over a weekend? - to really see how the Panamera feels on your roads. Unless you can't stand it, which would surprised me, I'd say go for it. Make sure all recalls are/were done, software updates, etc.

Back to pricing, couldn't hurt to push for an even trade...

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

The Cayenne is nice, but it doesn't really tick off enough performance boxes for me, and is kind of lost among a lot of other SUV competition. I do think from a fit an finish its at the Range Rover level but with reliability. The Cayenne is just kind of there, for the Porsche brand loyalists who want an SUV. Its a solid SUV now. It just isn't a stand out really. The X5M, AMG's, Track Hawk, Stelvio QV all arguably beat it now really from a performance enthusiast standpoint. I can't speak to its offroad capability but I've always heard its actually pretty good for it like the Rover....if you want to take youre $150,000 SUV into the mud...

The Panamera is a standout performance wise, looks, and as an overall package. But of course this IS the Panamera section of the forum, so you should expect similar opinions! From a driving experience the a 2017 Panamera is in a different league from a Cayenne.

Quick Reply: 2019 cayenne S vs 2017 panamera turbo