jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

software fix, the best kind of recall
Old 03-23-2019, 01:04 PM
CanuckGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts

Why don't they design these cars to be updated ota. So silly.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:50 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Default h heavy

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4
Why don't they design these cars to be updated ota. So silly.
Tesla is leading the way, others will have to follow as the cars become more connected and technology heavy.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:51 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan

Tesla is leading the way, others will have to follow as the cars become more connected and technology heavy.
Truly. My wife's LR Discovery is due for a dealer-installed update which supposedly will make OTA updates available going forward. We'll see...
Old 03-25-2019, 01:30 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't like the idea that a manf. can update my car at will. The last think I want are updates that brick my car for a week. See Apple, and Tesla.......
Old 03-27-2019, 05:28 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Interestingly (or not...) I brought my car in to pick up a part on warranty, and they noted this recall for it even though that VIN-checker link someone posted did not show it. Took about an hour+.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:17 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Interestingly (or not...) I brought my car in to pick up a part on warranty, and they noted this recall for it even though that VIN-checker link someone posted did not show it. Took about an hour+.
I'm curious: what part?
The cover on my rear-window wiper blade flew off in the wind on an expressway last weekend, and I'm going in this week for a replacement cover (under warranty).
Old 03-27-2019, 06:22 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cometguy
I'm curious: what part?
The cover on my rear-window wiper blade flew off in the wind on an expressway last weekend, and I'm going in this week for a replacement cover (under warranty).
DOH!

In my case it was the luggage compartment retractable cover. I tried to remove it the day I got the car and it was clear that the latch mechanism to do so was broken because it wouldn't give. I didn't want to force it. Local dealer tried, forced it, and broke it trying to remove it. I didn't really even want the replacement as I will never ever use it (crowds my dog...) but they convinced me since it'd be a warranty replacement. Now it's just in my closet

BTW have you had issues with your fuel door latch? I recall reading either here or in the Cayenne subforum that that was "a thing" but that it'd been addressed. Mine sticks when I try to open it, and today it wouldn't re-latch until the third press down. Maybe I'm doing it wrong!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:49 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
DOH!

In my case it was the luggage compartment retractable cover. I tried to remove it the day I got the car and it was clear that the latch mechanism to do so was broken because it wouldn't give. I didn't want to force it. Local dealer tried, forced it, and broke it trying to remove it. I didn't really even want the replacement as I will never ever use it (crowds my dog...) but they convinced me since it'd be a warranty replacement. Now it's just in my closet

BTW have you had issues with your fuel door latch? I recall reading either here or in the Cayenne subforum that that was "a thing" but that it'd been addressed. Mine sticks when I try to open it, and today it wouldn't re-latch until the third press down. Maybe I'm doing it wrong!
Yeah, I was afraid that I'd break the retractable cover in the rear also, the first time I removed it. It's not a good design. But I learned just the right amount of force to pull that lever up on the right without breaking it. :-)

Numerous people have commented on problems with the fuel door (and the electric-charge port door in the E-Hybrids). I've not had problems with the fuel door, but my charge-port door is a little finicky -- nothing where I've had to had a fix done, however. Granted, I use the charge-port door at least twice a day (often several times a day), whereas I generally only use the fuel-port door once every 3-5 weeks, so the fuel door on my car doesn't get a lot of use.

One thing I did notice is that my fuel port did not allow me to put more than a few drops of gas in the tank if I didn't start filling quickly enough; I learned this when I was travelling last summer, in which I didn't find my credit card quickly enough and then wondered why the gas-station fuel pump stopped almost as soon as it started, when my Panamera's gas tank was nearly empty. This happened at several stops, and always when I delayed in putting gas in by a minute or more after pushing the door-unlock button. I've not heard anybody else confirm this apparent quirk in my car. The problem was solved each time by pushing the gas-door unlock button again and then starting to fill quickly. ... it's like there's a lock that prevents gas from going into the car if you wait too long to start filling...
Old 03-27-2019, 09:36 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Yeah, I was afraid that I'd break the retractable cover in the rear also, the first time I removed it. It's not a good design. But I learned just the right amount of force to pull that lever up on the right without breaking it. :-)

Numerous people have commented on problems with the fuel door (and the electric-charge port door in the E-Hybrids). I've not had problems with the fuel door, but my charge-port door is a little finicky -- nothing where I've had to had a fix done, however. Granted, I use the charge-port door at least twice a day (often several times a day), whereas I generally only use the fuel-port door once every 3-5 weeks, so the fuel door on my car doesn't get a lot of use.

One thing I did notice is that my fuel port did not allow me to put more than a few drops of gas in the tank if I didn't start filling quickly enough; I learned this when I was travelling last summer, in which I didn't find my credit card quickly enough and then wondered why the gas-station fuel pump stopped almost as soon as it started, when my Panamera's gas tank was nearly empty. This happened at several stops, and always when I delayed in putting gas in by a minute or more after pushing the door-unlock button. I've not heard anybody else confirm this apparent quirk in my car. The problem was solved each time by pushing the gas-door unlock button again and then starting to fill quickly. ... it's like there's a lock that prevents gas from going into the car if you wait too long to start filling...
I think the idea is to keep gas from being siphoned out.

Quick Reply: More recalls