Panamera 2010-Current

Turbo S Must Have's

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:21 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Turbo S Must Have's

I'm looking at a 2012 P TTS to replace my high mileage 2011 Cayenne Turbo. It will be my DD. I'm very familiar with the CTT/S and 911 TTS vehicles but not too familiar with the Panamera line, especially the turbos. #1, would you recommend a turbo S and #2, what are the must have's e.g, sport chrono and ? BTW, I searched the archives but there wasn't much info there.

Last edited by 4ocious; 03-20-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Many would say the Turbo S isn't worth it, and they are kind of right when buying new as you can option out a base turbo with everything offered in the S for slightly less; however, when buying used, I think the S is worth it.

Here is why (based on my research for the 2012-2013 - I think 2014 gets some additional options):

1) The premium you pay for the badge and a bit of rarity isn't much used, and it makes the resale more stable.

2) The S gets you the PVT, PASM, PDCC which are all options on the turbo. They are must haves. They make the car.

3) The S gets the Sport Chrono, Sport exhaust. The sport chrono is a must have. The sport exhaust is nice to have.

4) The S typically comes a bit more loaded in general, so when you're looking at cars, they will come with more desired options. They all come with upgraded seats, and many have the adaptive seats (but then you lose cooling). Most have front and rear climate control packages, Most have the sun shades. Most have the Burmester stereo. I believe all of the Turbo S have the smart key (which is stupid every panamera doesn't get that and its even a extra....but...Porsche). I think backup camera is standard on the Turbo S, not on the other cars....

5) The S typically has more sporty appearance packaging from the black out trim (rather than chrome) to the black wood and carbon fiber interior options.

6) The Turbo S used to have special turbos with lightweight Ti impellors, but then they failed, they had a recall, and they used parts from the base turbos. Its actually kind of a load of **** honestly. Supposedly there are still some differences in the turbos for the base vs the turbo S, but im not sure if its ever been 100% confirmed. Porsche really dropped the ball on this one. They should have engineered an ungraded turbo part that kept the turbos spooling faster. That WAS a selling point for the S. It made a difference, and they half assed the recall frankly.

The short of it is you have to do less option hunting, because they just come more loaded. The base turbo almost never has all of the handling options (PVT PASM PDCC).

Other options:

Carbon brakes. These typical command a premium even on the used market. Cool to have. It wasn't a must for me. I'd almost be scared to chip one. (carbon brakes are standard on the 2014-2016 turbo S which is one reason they are a bit more too)

Lane change/assist warning systems is an option. Id make sure to get it.

Backup camera should come with all Turbo S's but its a must have. Its really hard to see out the back of the car because of its size. I believe the 2014+ models have an upgraded 360 camera.

Adaptive cruise is a must have option. I was surprised that most cars I searched through didn't have it, S or not.

There are 3 steering wheel options. The S is more likely to have the sport wheel with full paddle shifters. There is a standard wheel all leader with buttons, and an upgraded wheel, that has wood or carbon fiber trim. The carbon wheel is was a must have for me. It just looks and feels money...figuratively and emotionally. The sport wheel I believe can't get the heated option.

Sport design package. For the base turbo, its a more aggressive front bumper, and side skirts package. I think its standard on the GTS and optional for all other models. The Turbo S gets a slightly unique rear bumper fascia with how the gloss and matte trim are arranged and also has different tips. Its subtle but different. If memory serves me, the Turbo S gets the more aggressive side skirts as standard but not the turbo. To get the front bumper you have to have the package. Its a tentative must for light colored cars at it provides some nice color and line separation, and really emphasizes the slightly enlarged front lip. On the black, or basalt black, you really can't see it, and its not necessary in my opinion. If you can find a car with it, its better, but not a deal breaker.

Recalls (check the vin on the Porsche Website):

Turbo recalls for the 2011-2012 Turbo S
Cam adjuster bolt recall for 2010-2012 models.
Issues with coolant pipe adhesive, not sure if there is an official recall.
Issues with air ride typical, no recall as of yet
Old 03-20-2019, 09:35 PM
TheBauer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
Many would say the Turbo S isn't worth it, and they are kind of right when buying new as you can option out a base turbo with everything offered in the S for slightly less; however, when buying used, I think the S is worth it.

Here is why (based on my research for the 2012-2013 - I think 2014 gets some additional options):

1) The premium you pay for the badge and a bit of rarity isn't much used, and it makes the resale more stable.

2) The S gets you the PVT, PASM, PDCC which are all options on the turbo. They are must haves. They make the car.

3) The S gets the Sport Chrono, Sport exhaust. The sport chrono is a must have. The sport exhaust is nice to have.

4) The S typically comes a bit more loaded in general, so when you're looking at cars, they will come with more desired options. They all come with upgraded seats, and many have the adaptive seats (but then you lose cooling). Most have front and rear climate control packages, Most have the sun shades. Most have the Burmester stereo. I believe all of the Turbo S have the smart key (which is stupid every panamera doesn't get that and its even a extra....but...Porsche). I think backup camera is standard on the Turbo S, not on the other cars....

5) The S typically has more sporty appearance packaging from the black out trim (rather than chrome) to the black wood and carbon fiber interior options.

6) The Turbo S used to have special turbos with lightweight Ti impellors, but then they failed, they had a recall, and they used parts from the base turbos. Its actually kind of a load of **** honestly. Supposedly there are still some differences in the turbos for the base vs the turbo S, but im not sure if its ever been 100% confirmed. Porsche really dropped the ball on this one. They should have engineered an ungraded turbo part that kept the turbos spooling faster. That WAS a selling point for the S. It made a difference, and they half assed the recall frankly.

The short of it is you have to do less option hunting, because they just come more loaded. The base turbo almost never has all of the handling options (PVT PASM PDCC).

Other options:

Carbon brakes. These typical command a premium even on the used market. Cool to have. It wasn't a must for me. I'd almost be scared to chip one. (carbon brakes are standard on the 2014-2016 turbo S which is one reason they are a bit more too)

Lane change/assist warning systems is an option. Id make sure to get it.

Backup camera should come with all Turbo S's but its a must have. Its really hard to see out the back of the car because of its size. I believe the 2014+ models have an upgraded 360 camera.

Adaptive cruise is a must have option. I was surprised that most cars I searched through didn't have it, S or not.

There are 3 steering wheel options. The S is more likely to have the sport wheel with full paddle shifters. There is a standard wheel all leader with buttons, and an upgraded wheel, that has wood or carbon fiber trim. The carbon wheel is was a must have for me. It just looks and feels money...figuratively and emotionally. The sport wheel I believe can't get the heated option.

Sport design package. For the base turbo, its a more aggressive front bumper, and side skirts package. I think its standard on the GTS and optional for all other models. The Turbo S gets a slightly unique rear bumper fascia with how the gloss and matte trim are arranged and also has different tips. Its subtle but different. If memory serves me, the Turbo S gets the more aggressive side skirts as standard but not the turbo. To get the front bumper you have to have the package. Its a tentative must for light colored cars at it provides some nice color and line separation, and really emphasizes the slightly enlarged front lip. On the black, or basalt black, you really can't see it, and its not necessary in my opinion. If you can find a car with it, its better, but not a deal breaker.

Thanks so much for that, just got a 2012 turbo S and the Porsche dealer said there are no recalls, am curious now
Old 03-20-2019, 11:49 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Great info Paul. Similar to GTS and Turbo options today.

Turbo S model this year is a big ? IMO.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:53 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

It depends a lot on the region of the country. In congested urban areas, like where I live in the SF Bay Area, adaptive cruise control is useless. I have it on my E63S and have used it a few times out of curiosity. It’s not a feature I can use with any regularity so when I built my Panamera Turbo S e-hybrid ST, I left it off.

RAS is a must-have option. These are big cars and the effect of shortening the wheelbase at around town speeds makes for a big difference in DD use.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:44 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Thank you all and especially Paul for your comments. They are useful and informative. I ran the VIN to determine the options and discovered it doesn't have the following options: 1) Sport Chrono although it does have a bump that appears to be a clock(?), 2) Sport, 3) PCCB's although the pictures show them, 4) Lane change assistant (LCA), 5) paddle shifters embedded in the wood PCM equipped steering wheel, 6) Adaptive cruise control (ACC), and other options I would like to have. My current 2011 CTT has all of those options and a lot more (e.g., 21' Turbo II wheels, PTC, PVT, PASM, PDCC, Sport, heated windshield, fire extinguisher, heading and altitude display, carbon fiber package, Burmeister (sp) sound, ACC and etc.) so unless the these are standard on the PTTS I think I'll pass on this one. But, I'll still continue to look for that unicorn PTTS.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:25 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Sport Chrono although it does have a bump that appears to be a clock(?),.
they all have the bump for a clock, the Sport Chrono option changes the clock from one with a hour/minute hand to to a second hand

Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 PM
Deezflip
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The Turbo S gives me that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that there's not that many out there....at least in my general area. I do however, wish they had the 2014-2016 PDLS+, they look schweeeeettt!
Old 03-25-2019, 01:42 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Thank you all and especially Paul for your comments. They are useful and informative. I ran the VIN to determine the options and discovered it doesn't have the following options: 1) Sport Chrono although it does have a bump that appears to be a clock(?), 2) Sport, 3) PCCB's although the pictures show them, 4) Lane change assistant (LCA), 5) paddle shifters embedded in the wood PCM equipped steering wheel, 6) Adaptive cruise control (ACC), and other options I would like to have. My current 2011 CTT has all of those options and a lot more (e.g., 21' Turbo II wheels, PTC, PVT, PASM, PDCC, Sport, heated windshield, fire extinguisher, heading and altitude display, carbon fiber package, Burmeister (sp) sound, ACC and etc.) so unless the these are standard on the PTTS I think I'll pass on this one. But, I'll still continue to look for that unicorn PTTS.
Be careful as I've seen cars listed as "S" because they just look at the rear of the car, and anyone can add the badge. Easiest way to tell other than looking up the vin - the gauge cluster has turbo S, which is a pretty hard and expensive thing to fake.

The S will have all of those performance options as standard (sport chrono, PASM, PDCC, PVT+), so if the VIN is coming up without those options, something is funky. If a car doesn't have sport chrono, it won't have the clock. Clock= sport chrono, at least for the 2010-2013. Maybe this changed for 2014+. I would hold out for all of the options that you want and be willing to travel.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=224404206

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=229439690

Old 03-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Originally Posted by Deezflip
The Turbo S gives me that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that there's not that many out there....at least in my general area. I do however, wish they had the 2014-2016 PDLS+, they look schweeeeettt!
I agree, though a fully loaded Turbo with everything including the powerkit might be even more rare! The S is rare - I've never seen another one in person even before I bought my car. They also have better resale.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Deezflip
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen

Originally Posted by TheBauer
Thanks so much for that, just got a 2012 turbo S and the Porsche dealer said there are no recalls, am curious now
Me too. Is it safe to assume that if I did not find any open recalls on the Porsche site and the NHTSA that my PTTS is good and/or the recalls were addressed? Or does Porsche or NHTSA remove recalls if the car's warranty is expired? I hope not
Old 03-26-2019, 04:00 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

^^^^well that is the approach I took. It only lists if there is an open recall for your VIN, not what has or hasn't been performed. If you called directly they might tell you.

Quick Reply: Turbo S Must Have's