Panamera 2010-Current

First Porsche, and a rack question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:29 AM
user 8298308
Banned

Received 687 Likes on 399 Posts
Default First Porsche, and a rack question

This past weekend I picked up my first Porsche - a CPO 2016 Panamera 4S with just 10k miles. Dirty from the drive home, but I think it's required to put pictures in. Build if you're interested: https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AB2A70GL050881/ It came with a set of Porsche winter wheels and tires, which is great given the climate I live in.

I'm coming from years of VW ownership (most recently, GTIs). This will be my daily driver for my daily commute of about 100 miles round trip.

I'd like to get a factory rack for bikes, skis and possibly a carrier. Does anyone own the factory rack? If so, how is the install/uninstall process? I'm not sure I'd want to keep it on all the time. Also, it is possible to get the factory base rack, and then use Thule bike mounts/trays?

Old 03-19-2019, 12:02 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Can't answer your question about the racks but congratulations. Moving from VW GTI to a Panamera is quite a change. Get some winter rubber for that thing.

Drive it in good health.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:18 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Welcome aboard! Looks like you found an excellent example. I have the OEM roof bars and they are fantastic - there are 4 mounting points on the roof under folding covers, you'll see 4 plastic screws protecting the mount points. Remove them and the OEM rack mounts drop in perfectly and rubber protectors are included at the base of the mounts. I keep mine in the garage mounted on a hoist as I need to install and remove by myself. To answer your other question; these OEM bars are compatible w/ aftermarket systems - I use a large Yakima pod to transport up to 12 pair of skis as needed for a race weekend. I remember one for sale around here somewhere - best of luck in finding one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:36 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Beautiful Color, Congrats!
Old 03-19-2019, 06:10 PM
smithsor
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DogWood
Beautiful Color, Congrats!
The Panamera user manual shows how to mount the factory roof rack in detail. If you don't have a paper owner's manual, you can buy one from Suncoast Porsche as well as a paper PCM manual. The digital manual is ok, but the 'books' are great.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:58 PM
user 8298308
Banned

Thanks, @skiracer. I'll see if I can get my hands on an OEM base rack. It looks like Suncoast has them.

I had the dealer leave the winter wheels/tires off. I'm pushing my luck and hoping there's no more snow here this season (though if it snows in the mountains to extend the ski season, I'm all for it).

Manuals were included, so I'll take a look. Thanks, @smithsor.

Color is night blue metallic. Wheels painted to match from the factory.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:58 AM
NJRon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best color! (I may be biased) welcome and best of luck!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:08 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Congrats on the car! Porsche has their factory roof transport system and a few different attachments. All very easily removed.

Let us know if you have any questions!

https://www.suncoastparts.com/category/970EXTRR.html

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 03-21-2019, 02:46 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Beautiful car! I had a 2010 4S and 2013 GTS. I used the same racks on both cars, which use the same racks as yours. I now have a 2018 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo, which unfortunately has gone to a different (and in my view, less desirable) system.

The attachment of the factory Porsche crossbars to your car is the most secure rack attachment I've ever met, in 45 years of hauling bikes and skis. The Best.

Thule makes a set of bike trays that are fully compatible. As do Yakima and others. Personally, I prefer and recommend the Rocky Mount racks. They are rock solid, very similar to Thules, and available in several colors. I've had Rocky Mount bike trays on my last seven or eight cars and think they're great. You won't go wrong with Thules, but you'll just pay more.

DMoore
'18 PTGT
'18 911 GTS
Old 03-21-2019, 12:52 PM
PanEhybrid
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMoore
Thule makes a set of bike trays that are fully compatible. As do Yakima and others. Personally, I prefer and recommend the Rocky Mount racks. They are rock solid, very similar to Thules, and available in several colors. I've had Rocky Mount bike trays on my last seven or eight cars and think they're great. You won't go wrong with Thules, but you'll just pay more.
+1 for Rocky Mounts. I'm using their Brass Knuckles tray on my ST to haul my mountain bike and it is rock solid.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:58 AM
user 8298308
Banned

With the snow almost completely gone and some new cleaning supplies from Chemical Guys (including some of their wheel guard product, which I hope helps fight against brake dust accumulation), I gave the car a much-deserved wash. Photos below.

I've already got 2k miles on it since purchase (now at just over 12k), as it's my daily driver. I'm really enjoying the ride - it's quiet, comfortable and quick. I grabbed a Uniden R7 radar detector and a Garmin 65W dash cam to assist with the commute. My Panamera has ACC/PAS and LCA but not Lane Keep Assist, and the Garmin has a fairly decent system for that. I finally took time to go through the manual and check out all the settings, where I discovered some cool stuff such as comfort entry and the ability to customize the dash display car info menu.

The only downside is PCM - it's just not a modern infotainment system. I'm envious of the newer system and interface on the 2017s and up.

At skiracer's suggestion, I ordered the OEM rack bars. I put them on to test fit and then removed them, but they're going to work perfectly with my old Thule bike mounts. I also got a Porsche fork mount rack for bikes (though Suncoast shipped me the wrong rack, they were great about shipping me the correct rack).

A couple of questions:
  • I'd like to retrofit the Sport Plus mode; anyone have experience with this? I see that Suncoast offers it for sale with a dealer install required: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/970SMS.html .
  • Has anyone hard wired an RD and/or dashcam through the rear view mirror power or a fuse tap? I'd like to get rid of the cords.

Next up:

• Courtesy BumperPlugs, I've got painted bits coming to replace the stock amber indicators. Why we still have that requirement for ambers in the US baffles me
  • Polish: There are some swirls that need tending to, and I'm going to have my local detailer handle those soon
Pics:

Last edited by user 8298308; 04-21-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:02 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Your car looks fabulous and you're going to love the OEM roof bars.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:53 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Looking great - congrats! Cool that you can retrofit Sport Plus. And I found the price weirdly approachable given the usually Porsche tax.
The following users liked this post:
Cbob (10-17-2023)
Old 04-21-2019, 01:03 PM
user 8298308
Banned

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Looking great - congrats! Cool that you can retrofit Sport Plus. And I found the price weirdly approachable given the usually Porsche tax.
Yeah, that's why I'm asking about it - seems too cheap! It obviously doesn't add the sport chrono or the wheel, but I'm assuming the tune/launch control is still there with a retrofitted sport plus install.

Maybe it's just the button and nothing else.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:23 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronjb_ME
Yeah, that's why I'm asking about it - seems too cheap! It obviously doesn't add the sport chrono or the wheel, but I'm assuming the tune/launch control is still there with a retrofitted sport plus install.

Maybe it's just the button and nothing else.
Haaahahahaha. Now that would be the Porsche tax in action!

Quick Reply: First Porsche, and a rack question