Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Who has the highest mileage on a Panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 01:26 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Panaseeya
I don't know what you call long-distance trips, but I'd rather drive than fly if at all possible. If my Panamera can get there within a day (and maybe more) I'll drive it.
I mean more than a one-day drive
Old 08-02-2019, 01:09 AM
LOH
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m late to this thread but I’ll share my experience. I bought a 2011 Panamera V6 2-wheel drive with 36k miles in October 2016. For my situation given the low miles and the asking price I couldn’t say no. After almost three years it now has 110k miles and with regular maintenance it runs great. My daily commute is 42 highway miles each way and I drive from NYC/NJ to DC at least once each month. In fact I’m in DC now after driving down but when I get back I’ll list my issues but it’s nothing major in my opinion. Yes it is more to run compared to a Camry or an Accord but for me it’s worth it and I regularly find myself giggling like a child and saying to myself “I love this car”. I know the V6 is relatively rare compared to my V8 brethren but I do love this car so no regrets.
The following users liked this post:
Deezflip (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 08:45 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LOH
I’m late to this thread but I’ll share my experience. I bought a 2011 Panamera V6 2-wheel drive with 36k miles in October 2016. For my situation given the low miles and the asking price I couldn’t say no. After almost three years it now has 110k miles and with regular maintenance it runs great. My daily commute is 42 highway miles each way and I drive from NYC/NJ to DC at least once each month. In fact I’m in DC now after driving down but when I get back I’ll list my issues but it’s nothing major in my opinion. Yes it is more to run compared to a Camry or an Accord but for me it’s worth it and I regularly find myself giggling like a child and saying to myself “I love this car”. I know the V6 is relatively rare compared to my V8 brethren but I do love this car so no regrets.
It's the V8 Panamera that is rare! I'd guess that V8s are maybe 5% or less of the total number of Panameras sold, no?
Old 08-04-2019, 03:25 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
It's the V8 Panamera that is rare! I'd guess that V8s are maybe 5% or less of the total number of Panameras sold, no?
I would agree, and also guess something like 5%. 10 tops.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:55 AM
SunneDC
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very curious to see how long the new Panamera E-Hybrid engines will last. My ICE has been off for about 1/3 of my 18k miles so far, since I bought the car new last May. If that rate were to continue for 100k miles, it would mean that the engine would be on for only about 65k-70k miles at that point. The engine does turn on and off a lot more than in an ICE-only vehicle, but much less than in a "mild hybrid" (non-PHEV hybrid); not sure what that turning on and off will do over long periods of time... An interesting statistic recorded by my car is that, even though 1/3 of the miles were driven in electric-only (E-Power) mode, 235 of the first 439 hours driven were in all-electric mode (called "Zero Emission" mode in the computer), which is well over half of the driven hours.

I wonder if there are any older (first-gen) Panamera S E-Hybrid owners on Rennlist who still have their cars after 100k-plus miles?
Mine has 104k. It’s a 2013 Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid. I bought it in 2014 with 20k miles. From the start it had a cooling issue that the manufacturer worked hard to repair still runs great. I suggest anyone that buys any of the Panameras look into the cooling system the hoses are made out of plastic and cheap adhesive( should be replaced with aluminum). Other than that it’s a good car. Things I had to replace along the ride.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:15 AM
SunneDC
AutoX

Originally Posted by Phil_PPTT
Your fear is justified, I had this happen to me. Coolant sprayed all over the exhaust. I thought the car was on fire.

I think it's crazy this isn't a recall. They had to take out the engine and transmission to fix.

All because someone thought glue was good enough to hold a high pressure hose... What did they save? $0.10 a car...
Same happend to me. Coolant was flying out my exhaust
Old 08-05-2019, 02:21 AM
SunneDC
AutoX

Most people aren't aware of this but in Canada (Not sure if it applies to US or elsewhere). You can extend the CPO on a car. The sales guy I worked with didn't even know this, and it seems most of the dealer staff are either not aware or don't promote it.

You pay for the inspection, fix anything that doesn't meet CPO spec like tires brakes etc.. and pay $4500 for an additional 2 years unlimited mileage. You can re-apply for CPO as long as the car is less than 13 years and less than 200,000km.

My 2012 Turbo S went into service Aug 2011 and I could extend CPO until 2026. And I might end up doing just that.
How do you re apply for cpo to extend that long?
Old 08-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SunneDC
How do you re apply for cpo to extend that long?
It's done through the service department. You can only extend 2 years at a time, after the 1st year of CPO has passed. You can keep doing that every 2 years as long as the car has less than 13 years and 200,000km.

My plan is to keep extending every 2 years until I reach 15 years.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:17 PM
LOH
Track Day

It's an interesting question but I don't think the V8 numbers are that low. My comment was based on my limited experience in my corner of the world where I see more V8s however I don't have hard numbers to back that up. I couldn't find production numbers by engine type with a quick internet search but a nationwide search on Cars.com for first-gen Panameras lists about 540 V6 models currently for sale and about 340 V8 models. With that informal info as a starting point, I stand corrected and if anyone has more accurate numbers I'd find that interesting.

As for maintenance issues, I had to replace the high pressure fuel pump at about 75k miles and the throttle body at 100k. Also at 100k I replaced the coil packs and upper control arms/bushings but I'd argue that comes with the mileage.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:43 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by LOH
It's an interesting question but I don't think the V8 numbers are that low. My comment was based on my limited experience in my corner of the world where I see more V8s however I don't have hard numbers to back that up. I couldn't find production numbers by engine type with a quick internet search but a nationwide search on Cars.com for first-gen Panameras lists about 540 V6 models currently for sale and about 340 V8 models. With that informal info as a starting point, I stand corrected and if anyone has more accurate numbers I'd find that interesting.

As for maintenance issues, I had to replace the high pressure fuel pump at about 75k miles and the throttle body at 100k. Also at 100k I replaced the coil packs and upper control arms/bushings but I'd argue that comes with the mileage.
My guess is that the V8's are a tougher sell, so that 540 V6's is probably a much lower inventory level compared to sales velocity than is 340 V8's.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:50 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's done through the service department. You can only extend 2 years at a time, after the 1st year of CPO has passed. You can keep doing that every 2 years as long as the car has less than 13 years and 200,000km.

Are you in the US? I'm pretty sure you can't do that here. The mileage in KM makes me think you might be in Canada?
Old 08-06-2019, 10:50 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

I think that there are a lot fewer V8 Panameras sold NEW (more like 5-10%) than V6 Panameras. On the used market, it's a different matter. I frequent numerous Porsche dealerships in my area to keep up with the new stuff, and the V8 Panameras are always rare (one or two per dealership, vs. up to 10 or 15 V6 Panameras). That said, I would guess that most V8 Panameras bought new are special-ordered, so not visible on dealer lots.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:02 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Not possible to do this in the US
Old 08-06-2019, 07:57 PM
LOH
Track Day

I think that there are a lot fewer V8 Panameras sold NEW (more like 5-10%) than V6 Panameras. On the used market, it's a different matter. I frequent numerous Porsche dealerships in my area to keep up with the new stuff, and the V8 Panameras are always rare (one or two per dealership, vs. up to 10 or 15 V6 Panameras). That said, I would guess that most V8 Panameras bought new are special-ordered, so not visible on dealer lots.
One thing I forgot about and didn't take into consideration is that when the 970.2 update was released in 2013 the S/4S switched to a TT V6 so since 2013 I'd definitely agree V6 models make up the vast majority of production. I was originally referring to the NA V6 like my 2011 but I couldn't be happier with the machine and I have no regrets despite a couple of Porsche-size repair bills.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:43 PM
tinmanwpk
8th Gear

Timely thread as I am considering a base Sport Turismo. Thanks for the input, gents.

Quick Reply: Who has the highest mileage on a Panamera?