Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Who has the highest mileage on a Panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Deezflip
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
During my last oil change my mechanic noticed some play in this joint and suggested it get fixed to avoid this situation. Apparently the new part now is bolted on securely instead of glued so there's little to no risk of it happening in the future. Repair was kind of pricey ($1,500?) but I don't think he had to drop the motor or tranny to fix it.
Thought the same and that the coolant pipe is in the front and relatively easy to get to.

Phil_PPTT, I've been reading all your post and I'd have to say that it strikes fear on me and everyone with all the issues that you're getting...especially being the same as mine, a 2012 Panamera Turbo S. I can possibly deal with an issue here and there, but yours is beyond and extreme. Just curious, where are you located? Are you around hot climates all year round? With just a few months of ownership during the winter, I notice it takes the heat in the engine bay a few hours to dissipate after turning it off. I've been pampering it just a bit, by sticking a shop fan in front of it and opening the hood after driving it. I figure the heat isn't of any help, I can only imagine come summer time
Old 04-01-2019, 12:17 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Deezflip
Thought the same and that the coolant pipe is in the front and relatively easy to get to.

Phil_PPTT, I've been reading all your post and I'd have to say that it strikes fear on me and everyone with all the issues that you're getting...especially being the same as mine, a 2012 Panamera Turbo S. I can possibly deal with an issue here and there, but yours is beyond and extreme. Just curious, where are you located? Are you around hot climates all year round? With just a few months of ownership during the winter, I notice it takes the heat in the engine bay a few hours to dissipate after turning it off. I've been pampering it just a bit, by sticking a shop fan in front of it and opening the hood after driving it. I figure the heat isn't of any help, I can only imagine come summer time
Seems I'm not the only one who does this I don't have a shop fan but I do pop the hood to help get let the heat dissipate

Checked my coolant pipe last night, seems good and solid, don't think I have to worry about it quite yet, but definitely something I will keep an eye on and replace eventually just for piece of mind.
The following users liked this post:
Deezflip (11-03-2021)
Old 04-02-2019, 02:59 PM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deezflip

Car was originally from Vancouver which has a very mild winter. I had it shipped to eastern Canada. Our winters are brutal. Jan / Feb average temperature is -15C. I tried to locate another vehicle but couldn't find one that had the specs I wanted. Turbo S are beyond rare here. And Turbo's with PDCC are unicorn rare. Right now there's 1 Turbo S for sale in all of Canada.

In the end I asked Porsche to extend my CPO coverage for all the trouble I've had. No one argued or even tried to negotiate. They paid for the CPO inspection and I got an additional 2 years unlimited mileage extension for free.

I've got a love / hate relationship with this car. I would have dumped it in a heartbeat if it didn't tick all the right boxes. I don't know how many on here have driven a Turbo S or Turbo with PDCC / PTV+ but it's mind blowing what this car can do. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. A 2nd gear launch is fast enough to beat 99% of cars or land you in jail. Winter driving is a blast, turn off traction control and slide everywhere!

I know my experience is not the norm, I've spoken to countless Panamera owners. I'm a little upset about stuff like the coolant pipe. I personally think that should be a recall. Especially for something as trivial as not using a hose clamp. Had I known about it you can be sure I would have addressed it out of pocket.

In the end Porsche stands by their product. Their service has been great. Everything was covered, every single visit. For the suspension creaking I had to push a little but they still fixed it. I recently learned that you can extend CPO coverage up to 15 years now, it used to be 10. That to me is absolutely amazing that a company would stand behind their product like this. No other company does this. BMW does a 2 year CPO (I think it might be even 1 now). Porsche does 11 years past the original warranty.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:55 PM
Xcellr8
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife's daily driver is a 2011 Turbo which now shows 110K miles on the odometer. Below is a list of the problems we have had. In my opinion it is way too many problems, but like Phil_PPTT when you push Sport Plus and put the hammer down, there is nothing around here that can touch you. I had a 2004 Turbo 911 6 speed that couldn't keep up. When I read what I just typed, it doesn't convey what a rocket ship this car can be. Call me crazy, I am, but I wanted to see what it would do. I might have been in a controlled area, I might not have been, but I took the car up to 150mph and it was effortless and had alot left. I mean it went up to 150 right now, no waiting for each 10 mph above 100, it powered right up to it. Top speed is reported to be 188. I'm too chicken for that.

Passenger front door lock is getting to be a problem.
Driver door lock was replaced a couple of years ago
Front suspension rebuilt (all bushings and links - not shocks) due to creaking
Transmission fault, fixed by replacing transmission wire harness and solinoids, basically everything tranmission related they could reach from the bottom of the car.
The coolant pipe under the manifold failure a month ago.
Three alignments
Water pump
Recall work

Not counting brakes, tires, fluid and filter changes.
Still get chassis failure messages when I let the car sit for a few days.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:22 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

@Xcellr8,
I did not had a Turbo, ..but had a V8 4S. After close to 90k miles, I gave up and sold it !
..but my list was longer than yours.
Sure, it includes the coolant pipes (about at 28k miles)
but had also things like High pressure fuel pump ! (no $$$ thanks to "CPO my love")
And also (left bank) sprocket aluminum bolts failure, (with 4 bind valves). (Again, no $$$$$, thanks again to "CPO my love")
and etc.. (the "routine", like the front bushings and more)

Still, I consider that this was the BEST car we ever had. I know about the Turbo power, as wife has a Cayenne Turbo, yes, a turbo is a pretty wild animal, and with the Sport button on, you can seriously glue a passenger to his seat, having him/her silent for a while !
But frankly, I will not play the game of the highest miles with this animal !
..except if you are still into the CPO coverage, as now, it is 6 years, or two from the (re)selling date, with unlimited miles !
Currently, I'm an outsider of this topic, but as soon I will find a Turbo (under a good CPO), with all the options that I want, ..then, I will be back !
Old 04-04-2019, 07:29 AM
Phil_PPTT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
@Xcellr8,
I did not had a Turbo, ..but had a V8 4S. After close to 90k miles, I gave up and sold it !
..but my list was longer than yours.
Sure, it includes the coolant pipes (about at 28k miles)
but had also things like High pressure fuel pump ! (no $$$ thanks to "CPO my love")
And also (left bank) sprocket aluminum bolts failure, (with 4 bind valves). (Again, no $$$$$, thanks again to "CPO my love")
and etc.. (the "routine", like the front bushings and more)

Still, I consider that this was the BEST car we ever had. I know about the Turbo power, as wife has a Cayenne Turbo, yes, a turbo is a pretty wild animal, and with the Sport button on, you can seriously glue a passenger to his seat, having him/her silent for a while !
But frankly, I will not play the game of the highest miles with this animal !
..except if you are still into the CPO coverage, as now, it is 6 years, or two from the (re)selling date, with unlimited miles !
Currently, I'm an outsider of this topic, but as soon I will find a Turbo (under a good CPO), with all the options that I want, ..then, I will be back !
Most people aren't aware of this but in Canada (Not sure if it applies to US or elsewhere). You can extend the CPO on a car. The sales guy I worked with didn't even know this, and it seems most of the dealer staff are either not aware or don't promote it.

You pay for the inspection, fix anything that doesn't meet CPO spec like tires brakes etc.. and pay $4500 for an additional 2 years unlimited mileage. You can re-apply for CPO as long as the car is less than 13 years and less than 200,000km.

My 2012 Turbo S went into service Aug 2011 and I could extend CPO until 2026. And I might end up doing just that.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:50 AM
dadc4s
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2018 Panamera 4 is my winter car, and also my long distance trip car. In 17 months, I have put on 22K miles. I have set of winter wheels/tires and the car is great in our great lakes winters. It has all the power I need for the purposes I put it to. I spec’d it more toward the luxury end with full leather, Burmeister, Air suspension and the carbon fibre trim. It’s a fantastic car. There have been a few recalls taken care of by the dealer at the time of maintenance or tire swaps, I have never been stranded or in any other way inconvenienced by this car.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:16 PM
Deezflip
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phil_PPTT
I've got a love / hate relationship with this car. I would have dumped it in a heartbeat if it didn't tick all the right boxes. I don't know how many on here have driven a Turbo S or Turbo with PDCC / PTV+ but it's mind blowing what this car can do. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. A 2nd gear launch is fast enough to beat 99% of cars or land you in jail. Winter driving is a blast, turn off traction control and slide everywhere!
Tell me about it!, ...not-even-trying, effortless, leaving people in the dust with comfort while drinking coffee.

Just saw 2010 Panamera Turbo with 147k on sale in NY. Don't know much on the history of it, but that's what I was hoping to see more of.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:25 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Well I passed 2000 miles today, so at least I get to start catching up to you guys more quickly

Weather sucks here today, wet roads, so no flogging the car for now.

What's the conventional wisdom for post break-in? Ramp things up gradually, or immediately proceed to drive it like I stole it?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 PM
nav4111
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. This is getting serious. You telling me no one has a panamera with more than 128K miles. Really hoping to see +200K examples running fine.
What's the common mode of failure, or is it death by a thousand (or 10's of thousands) cuts.

Or maybe when no warranty is available, the high milage vehicles change hands to folks that are not interested in forums. However, all I find on Cars or autoTrader is 130K max miles.

Thoughts?
Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 PM
Deezflip
Instructor

I'm with you and was hoping the same, to see the +200k mile Panamera. I just think people have a tendency to preserve the miles on it and not drive it as much. As many times I hear people tell me, drive it, enjoy it, daily it, it's meant to be driven, it's not a trophy, etc, etc....I still think people don't drive it as much as they say they do.

I have a 2003 Infiniti with just about 207k miles and drive it daily, but I feel like that should be a lot more considering it's a 2003. With the Panamera introduced in 2009(2010 in US maybe, not sure don't quote me), 128k sounds just about right.

You might find higher mileage ones with less reputable listings like Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. I've seen a 2010 Panamera Turbo with 147k miles for $25k. That's still costly, where you would normally see BMW, Mercedes, Audi with that same year, similar miles, for a lot less...just saying. I guess that's beside the point, it just makes me feel better.

Another reason I think...they obviously lose value as the mileage goes up and years get older but the parts doesn't seem to depreciate as much. So say you paid $25k for that 147k mile Panamera and you have to change the suspension or something...that would probably be almost half the cost of that car. But I guess even with that, you would expect someone to rack on more miles on it and hit the 200k miles
Old 05-06-2019, 11:17 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I think that the average Panamera owner has a lot of money and won't drive the car on long-distance trips -- they fly long distances, almost always, and rent cars at their destinations (or get chauffeurs). So most Panameras are driven locally only, which keeps the miles down. And I suspect that most wealthy people with Panameras don't keep them more than 2-3 years before trading up to a new car. I've wondered about what happens to Panameras in good condition over 100k miles, also; no dealerships seem to sell such cars, so you have to look beyond CPO places, which a lot of people probably don't like to do when it comes to a luxury car like this. And the older Panameras have a reputation for high-cost repairs for engine, air suspension, etc.
The following users liked this post:
petelp (08-06-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 01:52 PM
SUPWAGON
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased a 2018 Turbo ST, the dealer offered an extended warranty from Porsche for 4,300 USD. This bring my warranty to 7 years or 75,000 miles. Considering the cost to repair air shocks, rear wheel steering or electronics, I thought this was a good deal. Equivalent to one major repair. I plan to keep the car for a long time and may extend the warranty once I see how the 2018's hold up.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:53 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I think that the average Panamera owner has a lot of money and won't drive the car on long-distance trips -- they fly long distances, almost always, and rent cars at their destinations (or get chauffeurs). So most Panameras are driven locally only, which keeps the miles down. And I suspect that most wealthy people with Panameras don't keep them more than 2-3 years before trading up to a new car. I've wondered about what happens to Panameras in good condition over 100k miles, also; no dealerships seem to sell such cars, so you have to look beyond CPO places, which a lot of people probably don't like to do when it comes to a luxury car like this. And the older Panameras have a reputation for high-cost repairs for engine, air suspension, etc.
Very sharp analysis here.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:19 AM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I don't know what you call long-distance trips, but I'd rather drive than fly if at all possible. If my Panamera can get there within a day (and maybe more) I'll drive it.

Quick Reply: Who has the highest mileage on a Panamera?