Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Who has the highest mileage on a Panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:13 PM
rgfinnegan
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought my 2011 Panamera Turbo last May with 60K miles on it. Did the major 60K service including PDK, PDDC reservoir and both differential oils. A week later a coil went out, so replaced all 8. Then in August a small coolant leak deep in the engine developed and while having that corrected they notice huge carbon buildup on the intake valves, so had that cleaned/blasted by walnut shells. Runs great and now has 73,400 miles. I think this engine will go way past 100K miles.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 40 Posts

I have no doubts this engine will go well past 200k miles. Based on the indestructible cayenne engine. I bet it would work after a 300 foot drop off a cliff.
I have both CTT and PTT, and both ticking like a swiss watch. Yes, you do have to do maintenance on it. However if you do not, you will get in return what you put in.
I like doing my own stuff because I become very tuned in to the car and all its sounds. I can tell any small sound that is off, which is great, since you can easily tell something is acting up.
Good job driving that thing. Keep it running good and you will see 200k without troubles.

Originally Posted by rgfinnegan
Bought my 2011 Panamera Turbo last May with 60K miles on it. Did the major 60K service including PDK, PDDC reservoir and both differential oils. A week later a coil went out, so replaced all 8. Then in August a small coolant leak deep in the engine developed and while having that corrected they notice huge carbon buildup on the intake valves, so had that cleaned/blasted by walnut shells. Runs great and now has 73,400 miles. I think this engine will go way past 100K miles.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:19 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm very curious to see how long the new Panamera E-Hybrid engines will last. My ICE has been off for about 1/3 of my 18k miles so far, since I bought the car new last May. If that rate were to continue for 100k miles, it would mean that the engine would be on for only about 65k-70k miles at that point. The engine does turn on and off a lot more than in an ICE-only vehicle, but much less than in a "mild hybrid" (non-PHEV hybrid); not sure what that turning on and off will do over long periods of time... An interesting statistic recorded by my car is that, even though 1/3 of the miles were driven in electric-only (E-Power) mode, 235 of the first 439 hours driven were in all-electric mode (called "Zero Emission" mode in the computer), which is well over half of the driven hours.

I wonder if there are any older (first-gen) Panamera S E-Hybrid owners on Rennlist who still have their cars after 100k-plus miles?
Old 03-17-2019, 02:26 PM
ReinoudW
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just traded in my Panamera S E-Hybrid from February 2014, with 150,000 km (little over 93,000 miles). No real problems with the car, except for a defect in the air suspension after about 1 year which was repaired under warranty. Now on with my new Panamera Sport Turismo 4 E-Hybrid!
Old 03-17-2019, 03:42 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I'm very curious to see how long the new Panamera E-Hybrid engines will last. My ICE has been off for about 1/3 of my 18k miles so far, since I bought the car new last May. If that rate were to continue for 100k miles, it would mean that the engine would be on for only about 65k-70k miles at that point. The engine does turn on and off a lot more than in an ICE-only vehicle, but much less than in a "mild hybrid" (non-PHEV hybrid); not sure what that turning on and off will do over long periods of time... An interesting statistic recorded by my car is that, even though 1/3 of the miles were driven in electric-only (E-Power) mode, 235 of the first 439 hours driven were in all-electric mode (called "Zero Emission" mode in the computer), which is well over half of the driven hours.

I wonder if there are any older (first-gen) Panamera S E-Hybrid owners on Rennlist who still have their cars after 100k-plus miles?
Thanks for the data. Does the engine turn on at all in the first couple of miles when fully charged? I have a 9 mile (18 total) commute (80% highway) and I wonder if it can make it on full electric.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:58 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acoste
Thanks for the data. Does the engine turn on at all in the first couple of miles when fully charged? I have a 9 mile (18 total) commute (80% highway) and I wonder if it can make it on full electric.
yes, in warm weather especially you should have no problem with the new 14-kWh battery packs... My commute is 13 miles each way daily, and in warm weather I can just barely make it in all-electric if I don't have a lot of stop-and-go traffic and if I'm keeping my speed down. The engine generally does not turn on at all if the weather is warm and you have more than about 5% battery power left, if you stay in E-Power mode; if you put it into Hybrid Auto mode, the engine will turn on and off periodically, depending on speed and distance and how hard you're driving it (the computer adjusts to try to let the battery drain more slowly if you're driving longer/faster). But if you're going slowly in Hybrid Auto mode, it will tend to stay in all-electric mode until you get down to about 10% electric juice left, provided the ambient air temps are over freezing. (If the ambient temps go below freezing, the car will both start the ICE when you start up and it will keep the ICE on until the engine temp reaches about 140-150 deg F.)

My usual drive to work (assuming no highway traffic issues) is about 9-10 miles expressway and about 3-4 miles city streets (one way). Because I like to have a little more fun going faster on the expressway, I usually go to Hybrid Auto after getting out of my neighborhood streets on all-electric, so I'll run the engine from the entrance ramp to the expressway for a couple miles until it's warmed up, and then let the car decide what mode until I get off the expressway. When I get off the expressway and drive city streets to my office a couple of miles, I turn it back to E-Power (all-electric) mode for the entire city drive. This procedure ends up (according to the computer) saying that I drive about 5-6 miles with the engine on (in my 13-mile one-way trip) and 7-8 miles in all-electric mode; in this manner, unless I drive out of town, I'm getting about 1000-1200 miles on a single tank of gas, so only have to go to a gas station once every 5 weeks or so (vs. once a week with my old ICE-only Panamera). I also do a lot of local driving for shopping, errands, etc., on all-electric mode only, so the all-electric miles add up fast, with the engine not being used all that much compared to my old ICE-only vehicles. It's priceless just plugging in when I get home and unplugging when I leave, and not having to visit gas stations for weeks at a time!
Old 03-17-2019, 05:06 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Thank you, that sounds good.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:13 PM
Dpw
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deezflip
I don't think there's a thread with the Panamera yet...so who's got a high mileage Panamera? ...year, model, issues, maintenance, etc, post 'em.
2014 Pan Turbo S Executive. Bought it last October 2018 with 58000 km in Toronto. Live in Niagara 85k on it now. Runs great. Not overly concerned about breakdowns for the next few years, I was furtunate enough to purchase the Factory extended warrantee. 2 years unlimited km. And when it’s up I’ll be buying the other 2 year term no mileage restriction factory warrantees. Should see 300 km by 2025 when the warranted runs out.

Now thats service. Hello Merc and BMW. Lol
Old 03-25-2019, 09:24 PM
emptyo
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just picking up a 2010 4s in Chicago with 91k miles, and driving back to San Diego. It's had a few things recently replaced: Suspension compressor and front shocks, horns, sunroof assembly, and a few sensors here and there. I'll keep you posted!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:17 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2012 Panny 4 with 86K. No major problems to report in a year of ownership. Something minor was replaced under warranty by previous a owner, but I'd have to pull out the Car Fax to remind me what it was.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:43 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Interesting that a bunch of people have approached up to 100K miles, but no one - at least among posters - has gone beyond or well beyond that mark. I figured for sure we'd find someone with a 2010 with 200k miles on it.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:01 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Interesting that a bunch of people have approached up to 100K miles, but no one - at least among posters - has gone beyond or well beyond that mark. I figured for sure we'd find someone with a 2010 with 200k miles on it.
Evidently, most Panamera owners don't drive their cars all that much. In fact, it seems that most Porsche owners don't drive their cars all that much; I'm amazed at how many CPO cars for sale there are that are 3 or 4 years old with well under 50k miles on them. I guess lots of wealthy Porsche owners have lots of cars, and they spread their miles around. I just keep one Porsche at a time and like to use it as my daily driver *and* my long-distance driver. But I'm afraid, like many people, at keeping a Porsche outside of warranty. It seems like the vast majority of out-of-warranty Porsches being driven around are 2-door Porsches (though I do see older Cayennes quite often). Of course, the only 4-door Porsche more than 9 years old are the Cayennes. But I do wonder what happens to most Panameras when they reach 100k miles.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:19 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Evidently, most Panamera owners don't drive their cars all that much. In fact, it seems that most Porsche owners don't drive their cars all that much; I'm amazed at how many CPO cars for sale there are that are 3 or 4 years old with well under 50k miles on them. I guess lots of wealthy Porsche owners have lots of cars, and they spread their miles around. I just keep one Porsche at a time and like to use it as my daily driver *and* my long-distance driver. But I'm afraid, like many people, at keeping a Porsche outside of warranty. It seems like the vast majority of out-of-warranty Porsches being driven around are 2-door Porsches (though I do see older Cayennes quite often). Of course, the only 4-door Porsche more than 9 years old are the Cayennes. But I do wonder what happens to most Panameras when they reach 100k miles.
I agree with you, and your last question is what I was also wondering. Where do these cars go? What happens to them? I found some recent stats saying that the average car lifespan is +/- 12 years old, so perhaps the Panamera isn't that much of an outlier if they're being retired at 10-ish years with 100k-ish miles.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:26 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pokingaround
I agree with you, and your last question is what I was also wondering. Where do these cars go? What happens to them? I found some recent stats saying that the average car lifespan is +/- 12 years old, so perhaps the Panamera isn't that much of an outlier if they're being retired at 10-ish years with 100k-ish miles.
Well, Porsche owners tend to garage and take care of their cars, especially more expensive ones like Panameras. So a decade-old Panamera is likely to still be in great shape. There have been problems stated regarding Panamera engines, especially the V8s, from 2010-2014. But still, I can't imagine most 2010 and 2011 Panameras going to the junk yard, somehow. I think there's a "selection effect" here... For whatever reason, people buying older, high-mileage Panameras perhaps don't read/contribute to Rennlist?
Old 03-26-2019, 01:24 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Well, Porsche owners tend to garage and take care of their cars, especially more expensive ones like Panameras. So a decade-old Panamera is likely to still be in great shape. There have been problems stated regarding Panamera engines, especially the V8s, from 2010-2014. But still, I can't imagine most 2010 and 2011 Panameras going to the junk yard, somehow. I think there's a "selection effect" here... For whatever reason, people buying older, high-mileage Panameras perhaps don't read/contribute to Rennlist?
Yeah @Dartmouth just posted that they bought a 2010 with 24K miles (!!!)

I too would surmise that most 2010s and 11s have a long way to go before heading to the heap owed to mileage. And there certainly may be selection effect here...

Quick Reply: Who has the highest mileage on a Panamera?