Panamera 2010-Current

Did I buy the wrong car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 02:33 AM
gregf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Did I buy the wrong car?

I've now had my 2015 Panamera GTS for just over a week. Test drove a couple of Panamera 4s, an S, and 2017 Turbo before selecting this car. I wanted AWD and the extra power of the S. But used low mileage 4S cars are hard to find. I've driven a 2002 BMW 325 AWD wagon for the last 17 years as my everyday car, while keeping my 1987 911 Carrera Targa for fun. Also had a 1980 924 and my wife bought a 2018 Macan S last Spring. We took the Macan on a 3500 miles trip to the Canadian Rockies last Fall, which set me looking to replace thre BMW. Although I'm keeping the BMW until it gives up the ghost - it's just so damn useful for bringing the dog (golden retriever), carrying musical instruments, tools and whatever for our rental properties, and going to the mountains. But - it is also old and tired. I wanted something different, but still thought it a good idea to have carrying capacity, After my time behind the wheel of the Macan - driving a 'modern' Porsche, I landed on the Panamera: Back seat, hatchback - available AWD if you got a 4, GTS or Turbo. Looked all over the country- really for a 4S to get both AWD and the extra power, but this GTS came up and I bought it. With traffic getting worse all the time, I have to have an automatic for my everyday car. And I love the PDK.

But -- contrary to all the glowing reviews -- I don't like the car. The main thing that I can't change is the size of the car. I was concerned looking at the Panamera that it is 20 inches longer than my BMW and 14 inches longer than the Macan - with a wheelbase 5 inches longer than the Macan. Nothing I can do about that other than try to adjust. I feel like I have to anticipate where the nose of the car is going while being aware of the rear wheels and mass of the car.- more like driving a large truck. When I round a corner, I am focusing on the apex to make sure I clear the rear wheel, rather than steering the front and having the rest of the car just follow. Even though the handling and turning radius are very good - this is not fun.. Then there are things I hope I might be able to fix: #1) Acceleration seems to lag when I come from a standing stop. Then the power kicks in suddenly. This is unnerving pulling into traffic. And parking. Very different from the smooth power curve of the Macan. This is helped somewhat if in Sport mode. But does not solve it, Perhaps something in the fuel delivery can be adjusted? 2) When coming to a complete stop, after the wheels have stopped, the chassis seems to keep in movement until I get a bit of a jolt as the chassis finally stops motion. No matter how softly or hard I brake, the effect is the same. I have Sport Chrono with PASM - so I am wondering if that affects this. Can something be adjusted in the suspension - Or is it just the sheer weight of the car? I feel like I have a '70s Dodge Charger rather than a 21st Century Porsche.

The car is striking - black exterior with cognac natural leather interior. And only 17K miles. I am seriously considering trading it in for a 2013 991 4S Cabriolet, PDK -- that another local dealer has. Completely different animal I know, but as much as I like the extra space and amenities of the sedan, I have to also be happy with the drive. Why else would I buy a Porsche?

Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 02-25-2019, 11:26 AM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes... compared to a BMW 325, the Panamera is a much longer vehicle. The Panamera is a fantastic GT car versus urban daily driver. Take it for a long drive on the open road, like your trip to the Rockies, to get comfortable with it. At speed, the Panamera feels like a shorter wheelbase. Take low speed turns a little wider, if you are concern with the rear wheel. If you intend to keep the vehicle...
  • Use Sport mode for better power delivery and throttle response.
  • Verify with a Porsche dealer that all recalls or software updates have been applied. They can verify based on your VIN.
  • Reset the PDK so it relearns your driving habit. Search the forum to find instructions.
  • Lane Change Assist and proper side mirror adjustment helps with navigating traffic.
If you prefer a shorter wheelbase vehicle, a 991 would certainly fill the bill.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:40 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

How I feel about the car doesn't really do anything for you but if you're not happy, anything you read here won't make you feel any better. I will tell you that when I moved into my 970.2 4 from a BMW F07 535GT, the Porsche didn't exactly blow me away immediately either. Now the cars shared similar dimensions and weight but after a couple of weeks, I didn't look back. I thought the 970.2 felt more nimble and there was no comparison with the throttle response in any of the drive selectors. Then there was the couple of weeks as the PDK started to get used to my driving as I was very light on the throttle to start with but as I quickly realized, I could put my foot into it and keep it under control.

Your car is a rare bird with oodles of power/torque in a pretty large and heavy package. If I was coming out of what you'd been driving into the GTS, I'd probably have poo pants pretty frequently. Sounds to me like you'll just not be comfortable with the size. I wish I was in the market because I'd take that beast off your hands in a heartbeat.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:02 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I can say that "it gets better" as far as size. I've been creeping up in vehicle size, most recently to a Volvo V90 Cross Country. I was coming from a BMW X4 at the time, and test drove the Panamera before deciding to settle for the Volvo owed to $. At that time, both vehicles felt absolutely enormous to me, and definitely imparted an "anxious," not relaxing, sensation to me while driving because I wasn't quite sure that I was in my lane, making turns with a safe radius, etc. as compared to the X4. After a year+ in the Volvo, I no longer feel the size and I've gotten completely comfortable in that regard. I'm now in the process of swapping the Volvo for a PTT Sport Turismo (arriving Thursday, and something I should've done in the first place...) I test drove one again before pulling the trigger and this time around the Panamera's size was not an issue even though it's 5" longer and 2" wider than the Volvo. So, if you can stand it, give it time.

As for the throttle response, I've noticed this across multiple marks of late - Land Rover, Jaguar, Porsche...pulling away from low speed or complete stop is a process. Sometimes a little scary. Because you either let it creep up to speed using normal throttle tip in, or, press harder to get a downshift and zoom away, often more rapidly than you'd like. This can be unsettling in many circumstances e.g. a left turn across traffic at an intersection, whether it happens too fast or too slow. I've had to sort of re-train my foot for my wife's Land Rover Discovery which helps a little, as does driving in Sport. My guess is that it's all EPA certification driven. MFRS trying to game the test system by forcing cars into "Comfort" mode, making auto start/stop the default every time you start the car, and programming transmissions to be lackadaisical unless pushed hard. Spooling turbos doesn't help matters either despite the amazing strides made in that regard.

Can't speak to #2, sorry.

Good luck regardless.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

This is something I cannot get my head wrapped around that car mfg's are doing in relation to making sport cars and super and even hyper cars so damn long and big. What Gives ???

This is one of the reasons I love the 997 it is a perfect size.

All the new cars are the size of my dads old New Yorker ... Who decided that all the new cars need to be so big ? .... I stood next to a new GT40 not to long ago and was mortified at how long and large it was .

Where are you going to drive such a vessel ... That goes for the new Lambo's . McLarens and even the 992's for that matter ..They are sooo big they look silly to me . What is even funnier is watching people attempting to park them..

Having said that a Panamera is a touring car and in an urban environment ( downtown traffic driving) in my opinion regardless of how nice it is, is no different and unpleasurable than navigating a pickup. Not sure what you expected when you bought it as it is a larger car.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:48 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

I have had a 12 P4S and I now have a 17 turbo. In between the two I had a M6 Gran Coupe. Going from the M6 to the Turbo there was a noticeable different in size of the car. Seating position helps. But ultimately once you get more miles under your belt the car will feel right. Give it some time.

Throttle response? You have to put the car in sport mode everytime you star the car. Turn ignition hit the sport button. Comfort mode in the panamera make the car feel like a dog. This will also help with the size too. The car shrinks around you the harder you drive it.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:46 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Ask for dealer for a PDK reset.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:21 PM
gregf
Intermediate

Good points. I didn't know about the PDK 'learning' driving habits. The car is CPO, so I would think they should have applied all the updates. But I am taking it in again, probably this week, so I will double check that.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:28 PM
gregf
Intermediate

As noted - I am used to smaller cars. Everything is getting bigger. The BMW 6 series is actually longer than the Panamera, 4 Series the same size as my wife's Macan. For whatever reason, this didn't filly register even though I'd test driven five or six Panameras. Lesson (expensively) learned. I don't have the accelerator problem in the Macan, and neither has turbos. The Macan is an S, so while not as massively powered as the GTS, it's got plenty of punch. I can adjust my driving style (have already somewhat). Just not finding it fun.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM
gregf
Intermediate

I live in Napa, which means I have a combination of running around a somewhat urban environment, while regularly doing hour + drives through winding country roads to Marin County where I used to live and still have a lot of activities, and making frequent trips to Lake Tahoe where we have a vacation home. Which is 3-4 hours mostly on interstate highways. Since we already had an SUV and a 911 (manual of course), the Panamera seemed a logical choice to enhance the stable for Tahoe and other roads trips. But unfortunately, I need an everyday car that will reasonably do all three. It will not doubt be very nice for the long hauls. But I need to sort out the starting / stopping issues even if I become accustomed to the larger / heavier vehicle.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:42 PM
gregf
Intermediate

Sport mode definitely helps. But I still think there is something wrong with the response, I'm going to bring up the issue with the dealer. I already had it in last week for alignment, which was out (pulling to the right) and has been corrected. So I'm hopeful about the acceleration from stop. If has just occurred to me that it may be slipping into Launch Mode (I have the Sport Chrono). When I am stopped on a hill, I sometimes get a green HOLD light come on. Gotta dig into that.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:35 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

the HOLD light is the electronic parking brakes kicking in, since the PDK is really just a computer controlled manual transmission you don't want to be holding it on a hill with the clutch. So they program it to engage the electronic parking brake.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:36 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gregf
When I am stopped on a hill, I sometimes get a green HOLD light come on. Gotta dig into that.
That's just a feature that keeps you from rolling backward.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:36 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Barring PDK issues or other problems, the Panamera GTS is no slouch when it comes to acceleration. Compared to the Macan S, the Panamera GTS is heavier, longer wheelbase, higher luxury (more sound insulation) and faster. With the larger vehicle, it may just be perception that it is not faster than the Macan. That is, speed and acceleration is more perceptible in a smaller vehicle. On a straight road, step on the throttle enough and the PDK will kick down one or two gears. You will be surprised at your speed. It is a very comfortable and competent car at high speeds, especially for winding country roads.

Do discuss your PDK issues with your service advisor. PDK reset may help. You didn't mention the mileage on the GTS? PDK fluid service/change at 60K miles.

Are you filling with premium octane gas? Lower octane gas would not optimize HP. Lastly, the Macan S is a turbo versus the Panamera GTS is a naturally aspirated (NA) engine. You would notice more of a power loss with NA engine at higher elevations. On cross-country road trips, I am happy to be east of the Mississippi River with the lower elevations and 93 octane is readily available.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:48 PM
NJRon
Advanced

I am sorry to hear that its not exactly want you wanted, but do give it a chance. WhenI first got mine about a month ago (14 GTS) the transmission was awkward to me (First Porsche, first PDK) but over time either I learned or the car did and in sport mode I no longer have issues at slow speeds and stopping. I had the same issue with a smooth stop but now its not even noticible. For speed the ride is very good that you don’t really notice it I can attest to that. Drive a bit more, and also put it in sport plus and do a lunch most fun I had in a car ever! Smiles from ear to ear!

Quick Reply: Did I buy the wrong car?