Did I buy the wrong car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 01:09 PM
dudecs
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gregf
RG,

What model are you driving? I have yet to see 20 mpg on my screen. I was running in Sport mode much of today, and it was < 18. My GTS has the 8 of course.
With my '13 GTS, it is around 18mpg for local suburban driving. On the interstates, it is 22mpg to 24mpg at a fast pace and traffic. It would likely be a few more mpg at a more conservative pace on the interstate.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:13 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I average about 15 in town on very short runs driving to and from work and the gym. A lot of sitting in traffic. That’s a good better than the RS7 and Jeep SRT.

I can get 27-28 on the highway if there aren’t a ton of hills or wind, and I’ve never made pass than 26 on a long trip. The most significant aspect of this, is this is at 70-75mph where most cars ratings are based on 60-65. Once you hit 80mph average the mpg goes down 1-2 but this is still impressive to me for a huge high HP car.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:38 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm averaging around 18 in town (roundabouts only one stop sign) and on a trip over the mountains last summer I averaged 26 MPG! and I wasn't going slow
really impressed with how well theses cars do
Old 03-03-2019, 03:57 PM
rgfinnegan
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

RG,

What model are you driving? I have yet to see 20 mpg on my screen. I was running in Sport mode much of today, and it was < 18. My GTS has the 8 of course.
2011 Panamera Turbo. I noticed the high MPG because my 2006 M5 was always so low. I drive safely, but cruise at high speeds, so the 7th gear has something to do with it. Sport and Sport+ block out 7th gear, also they use more fuel with higher RPM shifting. With the sprint booster there is no reason for the Sport modes, most of the time. My suspension is always in Sport+; I like it low.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:30 PM
NJRon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron, Are you going to keep both sets of wheels & switch according to season? Have you driven on the 20in Turbo II wheels, and if so, how is the ride different on the 19s with All Season Tires?

Yes I plan to have the 19s for winter and 20s for summer. I haven’t driven the 20 Turbo II yet so I’m not sure I don’t expect a large differnce but when it happens I will let you know!
Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

I have not noticed a ton of difference in MPG for the different modes. I would guess that on the highway you'd make slightly worse mpg in sport chrono because it holds higher rpm all the time and won't shift into 7th. In town I really haven't notice much difference. In the RS7 - that thing would get under 10 mpg in city driving in any of the sport modes as it really stayed in boost and was a thirsty crackling b#$%h.

I have snow tires on 19's and all season pilot sports on 20" turbo wheels. I notice zero ride differences really other than the snow tires have a softer side wall when cornering. No difference in bumps or stiffness in general. Generally speaking you're going to notice stiffness on short side wall tires when they get worn down more so than taller side wall tires.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:07 PM
aacocella1
3rd Gear

Thread on 6speed about Sprint Booster and Panamera..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-booster.html
Old 03-20-2019, 09:06 PM
gregf
Intermediate

Still struggling to like the car: Suspension: The car feels to me like the nose is rising up, particularly when I accelerate at lower speeds. I've double checked that the suspension rise feature (for curb clearance) is deactivated. Monkeyed with my seat position. Lowered ther suspension using the suspension Sport / + adjustment button (w/o the Sport or Sport Plus buttons affecting the shift points). Still it feels like I am on an airplane taking off more than the feeling of the front end digging in (or at least - level) that I'm used to on other cars. GTS with Sport Chrono. Is this the PASM? Is there some sort of adjustment I can make to counteract this impression?
Old 03-22-2019, 04:34 PM
gregf
Intermediate

Wanna Buy it? I think I have worked through most of the issues and feel the the car is performing as designed, or there are some tweaks I can make like adding a Sprint Booster, selecting Sport (or +) mode, etc. Unfortunately, I think I just picked the wrong vehicle for my purposes and desires. So am am shopping for a 911. If anyone might be interested ... : 2015 GTS, black exterior with beautiful full leather interior in Cognac, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, Turbo Wheels, Bose Audio, 17 K original miles with original warranty until Sept 2019 and transferable CPO 2 yr unlimited miles warranty following that. Originally a corporate car, California owned and operated. I paid 74K for it - will of course take a hit on the sales tax & tags, but would love to sell privately rather than taking the abuse of trading it in. Plus it preservers the CPO warranty, which I paid a premium for. So any reasonable offer entertained. Reply or PM me if interested, I can send the full build sheet. I am in San Francisco area (Napa, CA).
Old 03-22-2019, 07:46 PM
NJRon
Advanced

That is sad news Greg I was hoping it would work out for you, but we want what we want, and like what we like. I wish I didn’t just buy my GTS. GLWS, and let us know when the 911 comes!

Also post some pics of the Panamera if you can so buyers can see it.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:56 PM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

I don't know all the fine details between the GTS, and say the Turbo S that I have (other than the motor and power levels) but I think the Turbo S is tight as hell and way more sports car like than AMG, and M sedans that I have driven. Its not a 911 I'm sure, based on size alone, but I haven't driven a 911...yet!

I really can't figure out what you mean about the nose rising up, I think the Panamera is about as tight and stiff as any car I've had even when compared to corvettes and CTSV's with the suspension on sport chrono. In the end you have to be happy with it though!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:56 PM
gregf
Intermediate

Your ending kind of sums it up. Gotta be happy with the car. Bottom line, as great as it is, turns out I don't want a sedan. I've actually never had one. I almost never carry passengers other than my Golden Retriever, although I do seem to be endlessly hauling around stuff. I wasn't expecting a 911, but was hoping more for a lower, sleeker Macan. It was really the hatchback and cargo space with the rear seats down that sold me. I wouldn't even have considered it otherwise. What - I can get this space AND it's a Porsche? What I encounter regularly is tight traffic, parking running errands, and windy country roads where - although the car does great, I'd rather have a shorter wheelbase and don't really need 400HP. I have owned an '87 911 for over 25 years - which is about as fun as it gets. But for my everyday car I need an automatic for the hours I sit in traffic when I get caught at the wrong time - nothing better than the PDK -- and modern amenities like a good heater and A/C (the individual temp and fan controls in our Macan and the Panamera can't be beat either), Sat radio, very adjustable seats, etc. I could keep the Pano as a luxury ride and run around town in my old BMW wagon, or get something to replace that. But that's kind of a waste. Let someone whom it better suits enjoy it and move on. Thanks for your input!
Old 07-30-2020, 01:22 PM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

No complaints about the amount of power once I get going. It's massive. And the PDK is fine over say, 10 or 15 mph. It's the starting up from a complete stop when it seems like it's not going to move and then - whoosh! Off we go. I'm not punching it, just applying steady pressure. Looking for a predictable power curve as I start out. Mileage is 17K - a baby. Been using premium since my 1973 2002 - although I think it's 91 here in CA. And I'm at sea level so far. Once again, no complaints about the power at speed or acceleration once I've pulled out. Can't even tell the PDK is shifting - except of course for the blat! of the sport exhaust. Just the seeming hesitation at the start that concerns me, before all those cylinders kick in.
Originally Posted by small car lover
I suspect what you are feeling is the PDK starting out in 2nd gear. When left to its own devices the PDK will start out from a stop in 2nd in both comfort and sport mode in most situations. (It will start in 1st if pointing up a fairly steep hill.) You may find manually controlling the PDK and starting in 1st may resolve this issue. I believe some aftermarket tuners also offer PDK reprogramming any may be able to have the PDK always start in 1st. I have not researched this in detail however.
This thread is long dead but I recently have made some observations on the issue of laggy starts from a stop. When in comfort and sport mode the PDK starts in 2nd gear in most situations. This can be disconcerting if trying to pull through a busy intersection. I have recently discovered that in Comfort (or Sport) mode, with the PDK in auto, the PDK will automatically start in 1st IF the accelerator is pressed very quickly. From a standstill if the accelerator position is moved from 0 to say 50% very sharply, in like a tenth of a second, the PDK will instantly drop into 1st and the car will pull away briskly and smoothly. If you roll into the throttle, no matter how much, it will start off in 2nd. If you give it throttle very sharply, it will drop to 1st and pull away with authority. It is not necessary to use full throttle or kickdown to get the PDK to automatically select 1st gear in comfort mode.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:30 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting, I will check this out tomorrow. I am a "new" owner of a 13 GTS and have not noticed any lag at takeoff. Unless one is launching, first gear is not very useful. I would imagine Porsche eliminated it to save fuel as well. I have noticed sometimes irregular feel when slowing, but nothing that bothers me. Also, does PDK keep relearning on it's own? Or is a reset needed for a new owner?

Jon
Old 07-31-2020, 12:02 PM
DogWood
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

It will keep learning, mine has slowly adapted to my driving, it is getting more responsive the more I drive it, didn't know about the reset when I got it and in comfort mode it was really sluggish.

Quick Reply: Did I buy the wrong car?